Top Gear

Jez

Just scrap it. I'm sure there is a car bore channel for car bores. The majority will forget about it before too long.

Was it really about cars?

I thought the cars were incidental and it was really about celebrating the wonders of European capitalism, like the Bugatti Veyron, and how capitalism has made us all so rich we can find decadent amusement in the destruction of its disappointments, like the Morris Ital.  

It was unashamedly patriotic but in a ironic way and they even had an episode about a beautiful bridge designed by a Brit and built in France. 

It's production values were always very reminiscent of the writings of right-wing doyen P J O'Rourke. 

It was perfectly appropriate for the meretricious consumer greed-fest which was Blair's Britain but its values definitely looked like a glaring anachronism during this age of so-called austerity.

Which is exactly why wet liberals hated it and its head propagandist Jezza 'Goebbels' Clarkson, so much.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

??

The programme’s co-creator Andy Wilman was overheard discussing the new line up over lunch with Jamiroquai singer Jay Kay in Sussex, the Sunday Express reported.

The BBC has reportedly chosen a “dream team” of presenters for its new version of Top Gear that includes the former model Jodie Kidd.
Life on Mars star Philip Glenister and Channel 4 presenter Guy Martin have also been approached for the new series, according to reports.

Clicky

??

The programme’s co-creator Andy Wilman was overheard discussing the new line up over lunch with Jamiroquai singer Jay Kay in Sussex, the Sunday Express reported.

The BBC has reportedly chosen a “dream team” of presenters for its new version of Top Gear that includes the former model Jodie Kidd.

Life on Mars star Philip Glenister and Channel 4 presenter Guy Martin have also been approached for the new series, according to reports.

Clicky

No thanks, it would be a shit version of 5th gear if that is even possible.

The BBC should just leave Top Gear alone, the main reason as to why it was successful was because of the chemistry between the 3 presenters. 

• Like 1

Hearing that the line up of Glennister, Kidd and Martin is confirmed.

Could be interesting, but I think it's going to go a long way backwards. The chemistry between the main three presenters was why it was watched, people didn't really care about the cars. Saying that, it's time for a bit of a change, and although I'm unsure about Kidd and Martin, I think Glennister will fill the Clarkson role really well.

I think they'll do well, if that's right. I hope they don't try and be identikit replacements for the previous 3, and I hope they get a good producer, but if they just be themselves, they'll do a good job, given decent material to work with.

Doesn't sound that inspiring tbh

But had you said to me yonks ago we are going to put a loud mouthed Northerner , a short annoying brummie bloke and a dull man who likes a bit ghey together , I probably wouldn't have watched that either

I've been a Guy Martin fan for many years, but I just can:t see him fitting TG in with everything else. OK, he has a pretty decent car history (M3, Aston, Porsche) and he does like to go quite fast at times  ;) , but he insists he's a truck mechanic first and all else is secondary. He's not a lover of fame either.

Glennister is good on For The Love Of Cars, fair enough, but Jodie Kidd is like a block of very dull wood.

I can't see those 3 working at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a Guy Martin fan for many years, but I just can:t see him fitting TG in with everything else. OK, he has a pretty decent car history (M3, Aston, Porsche) and he does like to go quite fast at times  ;) , but he insists he's a truck mechanic first and all else is secondary. He's not a lover of fame either.

Glennister is good on For The Love Of Cars, fair enough, but Jodie Kidd is like a block of very dull wood.

I can't see those 3 working at all.

The IOM police had a word with him about his claims he did a lap of the TT course in an Aston Martin in 22 mins at 6am one morning, including doing 180mph down the Sulby Straight (speed limit: 40mph). I like the bloke, but that's just mental.  It's a normal village road, and any one up early would have had had no chance if they'd pulled out in front of him.

Yeah, guy hates doing tv from what you can gather from his tv shows

The house that guy built

Our guy in india

Speed with guy martin

How Britain worked with guy martin

Guy martins spitfire

Guy martins passion for life

How to be tv recluse with guy martin

• Like 2

Yeah, guy hates doing tv from what you can gather from his tv shows

The house that guy built

Our guy in india

Speed with guy martin

How Britain worked with guy martin

Guy martins spitfire

Guy martins passion for life

How to be tv recluse with guy martin

You can add BBC NI's NW200 coverage and ITV's TT highlights to that list.

• 4 weeks later...