Top Gear

Jez

always reminds me of Top Gear and its true about the show

He moans about the Hamster not being a real hamster ... The irony being is that Lee isn't a real comedian

Tbf I did chuckle for the first minute or two , and then it just became painfully unfunny and I gave up around the 5 min mark

The irony is that Lee got taken of television before TG.

Chris Evans .... no thanks

I don't really see the show working without him ... they will be better off scrapping it or give it a whole new makeover which runs the risk of backfiring or possibly being spectacular

Clarkson due to host have I got news for you soon , it's made by a third party and sold to the BBC ... Be interesting to see if this still goes ahead

• Like 1

Sure I read something somewhere saying Steve Coogan wants to take the mantle over. Could work as he is funny and loves his cars. Get VBH back on it and maybe Mike Brewer & Edd China too and I'd be down with that.

Chris Evans .... no thanks

I don't really see the show working without him ... they will be better off scrapping it or give it a whole new makeover which runs the risk of backfiring or possibly being spectacular

Clarkson due to host have I got news for you soon , it's made by a third party and sold to the BBC ... Be interesting to see if this still goes ahead

They will try and replace because the other two will jump ship and set up with Clarkson wherever he ends up and Auntie loses a big chunk of non licence fee revenue.

The Torygraph was reporting Netflix will pick it up.

Sure I read something somewhere saying Steve Coogan wants to take the mantle over. Could work as he is funny and loves his cars. Get VBH back on it and maybe Mike Brewer & Edd China too and I'd be down with that.

I signed an online petition calling for Alan Partridge to be the new Top Gear presenter. Think it's got quite a few votes. Just seems a natural fit :mrgreen:

• Like 1

I think that's what they'll have to do now. Not Coogan/Partridge necessarily, but they'll have to take it in a new direction.

If they try to replace Clarkson like for like (if that's even possible) then it'll seem forced and I reckon it'll decline in popularity.

I think they should go all out to get a host who's completely different and can try something new.

So my theory about it being a PR stunt looks well off.

The BBC are in a horrible position here. I imagine he was on a 'final final' warning after recent shenanigans so for them to do the 'right thing' he'll have to go.

As far as a replacement goes, as much as I love Alan Partridge, Coogan (out of character) would be an enormous gamble who will be instantly compared to Clarkson.
IMO the only thing they can do is either:-

a) push Hammond to the front and bring in a replacement support or;

b ) go for someone young and relatively unknown but with a large personality. This will mitigate the obvious comparisons and will breathe some 'fresh life' into a show many had been saying needed a revamp anyway.

Will the BBC go all 'PC' in response to the usual criticism and bring in a non-white middle class male? That could be interesting. I can certainly see them doing this if they go for option a) from my list.

One thing we shouldn't underestimate is that...as far as creating 'chemistry' between a team is concerned...three mates, driving amazing cars around amazing countries with free licence to create  dramas for effect is  not the most difficult circumstance. I'm absolutely sure they can recreate it as long as they don't totally balls it up.

Edited by Djemba_Villan

I'll take Chris Evans. Thoroughly likeable bloke and car fanatic.

It will be interesting to see if May and Hammond follow Clarkson. I initially felt they would, I don't think there will be any shortage of job offers for the three of them to start a rival show but will it have the budget of Top Gear and will May and Hammond be willing to give up all the other work the BBC put their way?

If the BBC are going to sack Clarkson they should scrap the show.

To attempt to revive it in a new politically correct format would be an insult to the audience and even worse television.

It would be unforgivable for Hammond and May to continue doing the show without Clarkson and they would be beyond contempt if they were to agree to do so.

Stripped of the satire and particular humour brought to it by Clarkson's script-writing the show would just be even more banal and pointless than it is now.

Knowing that it had been censored would make it unbearable to watch.

The only good thing about the whole affair is that it adds to the argument that the BBC has become far too politicised and cannot be considered to be independent any more, and should therefore be broken up.

The BBC cannot function as a neutral arbiter between competing political interests, if its neutrality is put in doubt.

When they put their political obligations before the interests of their audience then their existence cannot be justified.