Top Gear

Jez

Click

Jeremy Clarkson returns to BBC to complete Top Gear series

Presenter completes voiceovers on two films shot before he was axed – but the BBC says he was not paid for the work

Jeremy Clarkson has been back to work for the BBC for the first time since he was axed from Top Gear to finish work on unseen footage from the last series of the BBC2 show.

The presenter, whose contract was not renewed after his assault on a member of the programme’s production team, returned to complete voiceover work on two films made before his departure.

The BBC said he was not paid for the work, carried out under the terms of his old contract, which ran out at the end of March.

His former colleagues, James May and Richard Hammond, also returned to the programme’s studios to record links for the 75-minute episode, which will air on BBC2 in the next few weeks.

It is the first time Clarkson has been back at the BBC since his departure, having pulled out of a booking to present BBC1 panel show Have I Got News for You.

A trailer for the one-off, destined to be BBC2’s most-watched show of the year given the popularity of the series and the controversy around the star, was released last week.
Top Gear series 22 trailer

The corporation has always said Clarkson is not banned from the BBC, with BBC2 controller Kim Shillinglaw predicting in the wake of his axing that he would be back at the corporation. It now turns out, he already has.

A BBC spokeswoman confirmed: “He has done the voiceover for Top Gear. He came in to the BBC the week before last.

“He didn’t get paid to do it. Even though this happened after his contract was not renewed, it falls under his old contract.

“He is not banned from appearing on the BBC.”

Clarkson has been linked with a switch to either ITV or US on-demand service Netflix after his enforced departure from the BBC.

It remains to be seen who will present Top Gear when it is back on BBC2 next year. Both Hammond and May have indicated they would not return without Clarkson but that did not stop the BBC making a multimillion pound bid to lure them back.
Top Gear return may stall over how to replace Jeremy Clarkson
Read more

BBC director general Tony Hall said at the time of Clarkson’s axing: “There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.”

The 30-second trailer, in which the Top Gear trio become classic car and “lifestyle leisure” enthusiasts, features the three on familiar form churning up the countryside and appearing to destroy at least one caravan. Clarkson is later seen driving wearing goggles.

Appreciate it was somewhat rushed but based on The TFI Friday Top gear segment , Chris Evans would be a train wreck if they give him the Top Gear gig

I'm not sure that he is in the running for it though , so we can probably relax 

I genuinely thought it would end up taking a year hiatus maybe two and then Clarkson would return as a hero

I thought this, suspend Clarkson for a year, bring it back and the bbc starts raking in a fortune again off the back of it.

As it is, the bbc have probably, possibly killed the cash cow.

Am I the only one who thinks he might do a decent job?

I think he will do exactly that - a 'decent job'.

I like Evans, TFI Friday and the Radio one breakfast show were massive when I was growing up. He's clever, funny and a talented broadcaster.

Taking this on is a different kettle of fish though. It's not really about 'Top Gear' - it ceased being that years ago and became the Clarkson, Hammond and May show. For better or worse, they were the show.

It will be interesting to see whch direction they go in. They can't follow the same format, as it will just become a poor mans replica, especially if, as expected, C/H/M tip up somewhere else, basically doing the same thing.

I can see why the Beeb want to keep it going and I can see why they have chosen Evans. Not sure it's going to work though tbh.

odds on dermot o'leary & Jodie kidd being the other 2.

:huh::crylaugh:

The only way they could have made that line-up worse, apart from maybe using Piers Morgan as the 3rd presenter is if they actually used Sue Perkins as the 3rd presenter.

I might might have watched it if Evans was supported by a decent line-up but that's f**king pathetic.  I really hope it crashes and burns now as soon as these things possibly can.

• Like 1