Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Second half was awful. I think it has to be three at the back (Elphick, Chester, Baker) with Bacuna and Amavi playing ahead.

Would go Tshibola and one other (on today's showing, Westwood) with Ayew, RMC and Kodjia.

Don't really like the balance of that team though but we are massively top heavy. Midfield options (central) depress me.

Can't remember a game where we have had so many wrong decisions go in our favour either...

Devoid of passion which ,for me, is criminal . How basic in football is communication ? We were devoid of that also . The sense of despair when watching is painful . The second half was a joke ,getting bullied on our own manor ,this team couldn't fight sleep . It's a long ,long tunnel of dark gloom ,and I'm struggling for a glint of ligtht

Was a dreadful display we looked like we had no shape about us at all and we lacked energy and looked absolutely knackered with half hour to go because of this we were unable to press and wolves were able to build attacks very easy .I thought we played more direct tonight but Kodjia struggled in the air against the wolves defence was a game crying out Gestede and with Ayew also coming on those 2 could have made a big difference but injuries robbed us of that option .Our biggest failing and we have a few is we look very disjointed players seem to be playing as individuals rather than a team  ,We need to get a settled system/formation and Bruce will need to figure out his best 11 quickly I know with the results being poor and with injuries a huge amount of games etc the team will have to be tweaked at times but not the amount of chopping and changing we have had ,today was the fourth different RB we have had start this season another new midfield combo another different pairing upfront and another new formation .It isn't hard to understand why we look like we haven't played together before and how our ball retention is so poor .I realise this isn't SB fault but we really need to start playing the same players together regularly ,I realise we have more problems  than this but figuring out what our best team is would be a massive help ,the players we have bought have all done well at other clubs and done well in this division before they can't all have become poor overnight so a bit of consistency with team selection would help players and mangement alike ,I think we look like a poorly organised side at the moment and hopefully Bruce can change that and with a bit of cohesion think we would be a very decent side .

• Like 1

Positives- The chippy before the match was as ever, the highlight of the match day.   The fact we managed to steal a point in a game which should have got a hammering from.

Adomah was positive and Grealish not bad in 1st half. Richards was not terrible but should have given a penalty away and got injured.

Negatives- The match. Villa were awful. Wolves should have easily beaten us. Jedinak is past it. Bruce has a massive job on his hands. We can't delude ourselves anymore- 1 win in 13, 20th in the table. If we don't win one of the next 2 I genuinely think the season will be  a relegation battle. Meh.

2 hours ago, BruLan said:

Not sure what Ross McCormack offers , though the selection was wrong, would have preferred Hutton (FFS) to Richards and though this type of game had Gestede written all over it

Seems a few of our fans are questioning McCormack.  

I think he wonders what the other 9 outfield players offer.  He spent so long screaming at them to press and close down.  Looked like he was fit to kill them for long periods.  

Have to say I fully agreed with him.  A lot of the blame rests with our starting full backs.  Two dreadful players 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Anyone see what kicked off lower holte? 

Was in K3 upper, saw a few hundred people looking back to the upper part of LH in the second half as if something was going off.

I saw the turning around, but there didn't seem to be anything in it. Everyone staring because the person next to them was staring. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I saw the turning around, but there didn't seem to be anything in it. Everyone staring because the person next to them was staring. 

Haha, thought as much! 

Rubber necking at nothing. 

Still more fun to look at than the game i spose! 

2 hours ago, spiezels said:

Was in K3 upper, saw a few hundred people looking back to the upper part of LH in the second half as if something was going off.

Probably ours fans being shit to match our team being shit.  Love supporting this club.

as someone has already said, hanging on for a point at home to Wolves kinda shows where we are, that was quite symbolic to me. On the plus side we're hard to beat and we're not shiping huge amounts of goals. On the other side we dont have a clue when we have the ball. Ayew's abscence was obvious today. Looking for any positive I can cling to I like the look of Adomah, We looked more organised at set pieces to me today and I'm crediting Bruce with that. Richards left pointing while players drifted into space behind him made me laugh openly which was the most fun I had after the penalty going in, McCormack did well first half, we had to bring on Hutton & Baker and didnt throw the point away at the end.
I know in reality we were awful and lucky thanks mainly to the ref (not only the penalty but both Chester and Grealish could have walked today) but I gotta look for any positives.
Seeing Richards and Hutton again made me feel even more sorry for DeLaet. Or us.
Good point though.
At home.
To Wolves.
&*$% me.

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

Gestede has to start up front for mine. We don't build up play in our front half, we either rush it or lump it. From what I can see Kodjia has neither the strength nor nouse to hold up play, or the ability to out jump defenders. We had Adomah getting into great positions in the first half but no-one to cross it to.

Also, we had about a dozen corners and attacking free kicks and not one of them hit a Villa player first. 

We definitely showed that the tyranny of distance is going to have a huge effect on our games post-international breaks this season....I think that was partially what Bruce was alluding to in his position-match interview.

That said, we were awful today. They should have got a penalty for that clumsy foul by Richards (who was terrible), and Chester should have been sent. So yet another draw it is. Ayew and Gestede back next week please, play Grealish in the #10.

7 hours ago, spiezels said:

Admiring the brickwork!

Â