limpid

Match Polls  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, Villanun said:

Remember when supporting Villa used to be fun?

Wait a minute... this is meant to be fun?!

I've been using it as a means of self-harming since 1996, and it does a hell of a lot of damage!

Back to the game, and i think a centre midfielder will be top of the list for January. Jedinak hasn't settled, not helped by his globe trotting with Australia I'm sure. Westwood is Westwood, and Tshibola is raw, but good up to now.

I feel the injuries to Richards and Elphick restricted Bruce from making a few changes to chop it up a bit. I'm sure Ayew and Gestede would have had a run out if not for those injuries.

I'm hoping he will reinstate Ayew Tuesday, and could do with Gardner, Tshibola and Westwood in a 3, or Jedinak to sit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Why? I'm genuinely curious. he has the experience of guiding teams successfully in the championship. 

Yesterday's match was the first Villa match I've seen uninterrupted on a clear TV screen since about half way through last season. I had more than major doubts about Bruce being appointed manager. I thought it was a diabolical choice. Watching yesterday's match did nothing but confirm those doubts. The players looked the same lackluster and unmotivated group they did last season and this season under Di Matteo. Steve Bruce looked the same dull and uninspiring manager I remember from his days with Hull and Birmingham. Already he looked panicked and confused when we were being overrun in the second half. Those fadeouts shouldn't and wouldn't happen if we had a better manager with a stronger influence in charge.

I just read an article where he is blaming Di Matteo and our lack of fitness on our results. Maybe it's a factor, I don't know, but it not the main factor. I don't think Steve Bruce knows what is wrong with Aston Villa and I don't think he knows how to or is capable of fixing it.

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

as a side question I used to remember new managers winning their first game, it was almost a given but my memory must be shot but the amount managers we've had recently I can't remember that happening last. Anybody know?

Villa don't do Honeymoon periods. Much in the same way that we don't do winning games, playing as a cohesive team or playing attractive or entertaining football.

I was out all day yesterday and basically checked the score at half time and then at full time, my response was "meh".

Thats 4 wins in about 50 games now? It's honestly beyond a joke. These are players paid millions of pounds and staff also paid ridiculous amounts of money and that's what we get in return? Im not sure we deserve to be called a football club at the moment.

10 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Didn't you suggest Phelan? Having just watched motd, I can safely say hull are **** awful.

Phelan was my 5th preference in the end. Probably the manager I was least confident in out of all those I suggested as I only saw him manage once.

The best and most realistic candidate was Guidolin. I find it staggering that he wasn't seriously considered.

Could have lost that by a mile. Thankfully, it was'nt a typical 'Bruce' performance, so I hope he has taken stock of the problems therein. Confidence is a key issue, or maybe self-belief, but he has to identify the root of the problem and fix it fast.

On the other side of the coin, if Kodjia had only slipped that pass to McScoremack..................

51 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Yesterday's match was the first Villa match I've seen uninterrupted on a clear TV screen since about half way through last season. I had more than major doubts about Bruce being appointed manager. I thought it was a diabolical choice. Watching yesterday's match did nothing but confirm those doubts. The players looked the same lackluster and unmotivated group they did last season and this season under Di Matteo. Steve Bruce looked the same dull and uninspiring manager I remember from his days with Hull and Birmingham. Already he looked panicked and confused when we were being overrun in the second half. Those fadeouts shouldn't and wouldn't happen if we had a better manager with a stronger influence in charge.

If you don't want Bruce that's fine but it looks like you are judging him after less than a week in the job and in reality probably 2 training sessions with the team. Did you want him to turn everything round within the week?

Give him 10 games and then see where we are, that's the very least anyone can do regardless of whether you wanted him or not.

• Like 2

Watched the game yesterday.

Right from the off the Villa looked nervous. Misplaced over hit or under hit passes everywhere which continued into the second half. Total lack of confidence and belief in what they were trying to do. Reminded me of a bunch of lads getting together on a Sunday morning for a kick around trying to get rid of hangovers.

No cohesion and no pressing as a team. Watched McCormack wave his hands in total despair as Wolves were continually given free range of Villa Park to do what they wanted. Thankfully the Wolves were without bite upfront because a more clinical team would have put Villa to the sword yesterday by at least four.

Bruce's expression after the game said it all and was reflected in his post match comments. Not fit enough or simply don't have the legs in midfield to press teams to get the ball back again particularly in the second half of games.

Jedinak even taking into consideration his long flight back from international duty is an awful signing. Can't pass, doesn't have enough bite in the tackle to defend or enough energy to press. Surely Sanchez would have been a better option?

Bruce must, must, play a three in midfield (no Jedinak) from the next game until January as Wolves continually drove a bus through Villa's centre yesterday and other teams will do the same.

After yesterday have now revised my prediction than the Villa will gain promotion this season and I take no satisfaction whatsoever in saying that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

I just read an article where he is blaming Di Matteo and our lack of fitness on our results. Maybe it's a factor, I don't know, but it not the main factor. I don't think Steve Bruce knows what is wrong with Aston Villa and I don't think he knows how to or is capable of fixing it.

He had been manager for 48 hours before the game so I think it might be just a little early to judge him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, striker said:

Watched the game yesterday.

Right from the off the Villa looked nervous. Misplaced over hit or under hit passes everywhere which continued into the second half. Total lack of confidence and belief in what they were trying to do. Reminded me of a bunch of lads getting together on a Sunday morning for a kick around trying to get rid of hangovers.

No cohesion and no pressing as a team. Watched McCormack wave his hands in total despair as Wolves were continually given free range of Villa Park to do what they wanted. Thankfully the Wolves were without bite upfront because a more clinical team would have put Villa to the sword yesterday by at least four.

Bruce's expression after the game said it all and was reflected in his post match comments. Not fit enough or simply don't have the legs in midfield to press teams to get the ball back again particularly in the second half of games.

Jedinak even taking into consideration his long flight back from international duty is an awful signing. Can't pass, doesn't have enough bite in the tackle to defend or enough energy to press. Surely Sanchez would have been a better option?

Bruce must, must, play a three in midfield (no Jedinak) from the next game until January as Wolves continually drove a bus through Villa's centre yesterday and other teams will do the same.

After yesterday have now revised my prediction than the Villa will gain promotion this season and I take no satisfaction whatsoever in saying that.

I agree with pretty much all of that.

I would add the players totally lack any self belief. We as fans can pick out perceived or otherwise poor performances of individual players but fundamentally you have to look at the team in total. We are far less than the sum of the parts and have been for the last two seasons at least.

What Bruce has to instil in them is self belief, a battling spirit and working together as.....well a team. I think that will go a long way to solving our problems. At the very minimum we should be playing committed football as a unit to a plan and be difficult to beat. That is the hallmark of the better Championship sides. Our last few managers have singularly failed to do this.

I'm not saying we don't need to sign players in January, we do. For me the problem area is our central midfield. The one player we need above all else is a midfield enforcer. A DM that breaks up play, protects the back four and gets the ball moving forward. Ironically the exact job Gana is now doing at Everton. I could not make the game yesterday so ended up watching it on TV and as far as I could see Wolves totally controlled the midfield

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Michael118 wrote:

What we are missing and have been for a long time is skilful hard nosed player in a central midfield sweeping role that can use his influence on the team to encourage them to turn defence into attack through a passing game.

Our midfield has been lightweight for so long and are easily hustled off the ball like feathers.

MON sorted this problem out with players like Petrov, Milner, Downing linking up with the likes of Young and Carew.

Brian Clough got Derby County out of the second division and to the top of the first by signing Dave Mackay and that is exactly the kind of player we are missing too.

Bruce may well be right about the fitness of some players like  Jedinak who played after a long air-flight. But that is only part of it.  Even a fit Jedinak doesn't have the   skills or football brain that  the Petrov's and Mackay's  had.

Until that sweeper/leader is  found  I think we are stuck in groundhog  day.

We have also suffered for having players on the  team that just  don't  care about  Aston Villa. Players who have  skills but are either selfish , lazy or both who don't play a team game. We know who they are and  hopefully  Steve Bruce will soon  work  them out of the  system or  re-train them to be team players. (Not going to hold my breath on that issue)

Bruce has a  massive challenge on his  hands. I  am not going to try to predict   how  he will  do. Also I will not pretend to judge  him until  he  has at least 15 games  as manager.

If we  can get to January without too much  damage and we are able to fix the  midfield/sweeper issues in the transfer window we "might" have an outside chance of getting somewhere near the play off places.

45 minutes ago, striker said:

Here's where things get really difficult - I agree, we need a three to cover the weaknesses of any combination of two - but here are the full range of central midfielders in the squad - Aaron Tshibola, Ashley Westwood, Gary Gardner, Mile Jedinak, Jordan Lyden. We don't even really have a reserve prospect at the position.

Not only are they all not of a standard to dominate a Championship game (with a slightly apologetic nod of fairness to the two young 'uns) but they're all very, very similar. They're the 'sitter' - look back at midfielders for Villa - in a three you're looking at one that can make things happen, a Hendrie if you like, one who can chase and press, who's powerful and energetic, a Boateng for example and one who's box to box, who can get forward and score goals but has the running to get back and help out - an Ian Taylor to continue the theme. 

If you've got enough up front, then you can drop the one that makes things happen and keep a balance - Everton's (Villa) midfield features a runner in Cleverly - he can run all day - a pressing player in Gueye - he can run all day - and a calm passer in Gareth Barry. We've got the equivalent of three Gareth Barry's and that wouldn't work even if any of the ones we've got were at anywhere near his quality.

So, yes, I agree that putting three in there to fix the weakness by strengthening the shape should be the answer - it's sensible and straightforward - the difficult bit is finding three - and right now, I'm not sure we have three that are good enough. Or two. Or one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

If you don't want Bruce that's fine but it looks like you are judging him after less than a week in the job and in reality probably 2 training sessions with the team. Did you want him to turn everything round within the week?

Give him 10 games and then see where we are, that's the very least anyone can do regardless of whether you wanted him or not.

I never expected him to turn it around in a week and I don't expect him to in a month or a year. 

I did expect a little bit more determination and enthusiasm from a team who has just changed managers regardless of who it was that was appointed. I think it reflects on the manager even if he has only been in the position for less than a week.

Edited by Michael118

20 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

When I saw the team announced before the match, I immediately said I was worried about 2 midfielders. Where has this idea come from that Grealish and Adomah are midfielders?

He played a 4-4-2 with them as the wide men in our midfield - they're both naturally very attacking (and Grealish is more of a central player by nature) - but I think they're capable of playing on the sides of a four - not our four perhaps, but I think they could succeed with a better two in between them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Villastine said:

Seems a few of our fans are questioning McCormack.  

I think he wonders what the other 9 outfield players offer.  He spent so long screaming at them to press and close down.  Looked like he was fit to kill them for long periods.  

Have to say I fully agreed with him.  A lot of the blame rests with our starting full backs.  Two dreadful players 

Completely agree

Â