Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Just got back. Bit gutted, but will get over it.  Don't blame Bruce at all,  but the way our players fold and concede ground is a concern.  Made Wolves look like a great team at times - they aint.  Wie drop too deep ever time, give them way too much time and space and we don't seem to really go after a game or really believe we can win. Reckoned we needed about 19 wins and 7 draws when Bruce took over- now19 wins and 6 draws.  Least we didn't lose. 

• Like 1

Overall team performance was shocking.

Two players stand out for me as having woeful games.  The main culprit being Aly Cissokho followed closely behind by Albert Adomah. 

Bar Gollini, every player that played should of got a bollocking from Steve Bruce at full time.

Steve Bruce should be pleased with this result gaining a point after such a dire performance. For that he has to thank Alan Hutton whose block of Carvaleiro's attempt saved Villa from our usual ploy of giving away a significant goal in the final ten minutes.

Now it is back to Bodymoorr Heath  to sort out a team for Reading. Good luck on that   Steve, you are going to need it. 

Luckily it's only October. There is still time to salvage something and sorting out the midfield must be a priority.

4 minutes ago, Daholteend said:

Steve Bruce should be pleased with this result gaining a point after such a dire performance. For that he has to thank Alan Hutton whose block of Carvaleiro's attempt saved Villa from our usual ploy of giving away a significant goal in the final ten minutes.

Now it is back to Bodymoorr Heath  to sort out a team for Reading. Good luck on that   Steve, you are going to need it. 

Luckily it's only October. There is still time to salvage something and sorting out the midfield must be a priority.

If Steve Bruce sorts anything out I'll be gobsmacked.

28 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

If Steve Bruce sorts anything out I'll be gobsmacked.

Why? I'm genuinely curious. he has the experience of guiding teams successfully in the championship. 

Edited by Villaphan04

Formation was better , players still shirking responsibility when the going gets tough. 

We have some very good individuals but were poor as a team, can't pick one player who is stand out to blame.

Wolves played well as a team but  I don't think I would swap any of their players for ours......ok maybe Hutton, who was very very lucky to not concede after  a right howler .

We look better already though , two days in. Away to reading should be an easier game pressure wise .UTV 

Terrible second half performance. The players really need to take a look at themselves. Steve has a big job on and if he can turn us around he deserves a lot of credit. 

We desperately need to get organised and strengthen at full back and in midfield. January can't come soon enough.

27 minutes ago, calcifer said:

The 1890-1900s was lol!

218350-large.jpg

Wow, Shaun Teale was playing in the 1890's (or is it Gary Penrice, explains a lot as he must have been 95yrs old)? 

You learn something new every day

Edited by thunderball

The second half performance was truly shocking.  For me, Jedinak looks a shell of a player and I was happy when Westwood came on, what does that say?  Likewise Elphick.  I thought Richards did okay but he can't be match fit and replacing him with Hutton was equally okay.  Dead balls were awful, we have a lot of big dudes and we didn't cause a threat.  Second half was as shocking as I've seen.  Grealish was my MOM, he could be a player.  Bruce has a lot of work to do, at the moment I consider that a point closer to safety, Wolves at home and I'm relieved to get a point.  Just wow.

• Like 2

So disappointing in so many different areas of the pitch.We were poor defensively earlier in the season but were at least creating plenty of chances. The 2nd half was eerily similar to the Lambert days, with shakiness at the back allied with a dearth of organisation up front.

Gollini 7: Played well today. Still not a massive fan of his, but a definite step up from Bunn.

Richards 5: Poor positioning as always. Left Adomah isolated going forward and should have been penalized with a penalty.

Elphick 4: Dreadful awareness and reading of the game. Constantly trying to win headers/tackles 30 yards from goal and leaving space in behind, which is/was exposed time and again. Poor all season and time for Baker imo.

Chester 4: Also very poor positionally (recurring theme, I know). Very lucky not to be sent off, and his only positive contributions always seem to be last-ditch attempts to redeem a previous clanger. One instance of "defending" up against Bodvarsson down our left side was embarrassing.

Cissokho 5: Not a good display, and I think that a fit Amavi must always play in front of Aly. Having said that I feel that our centre-halves going walkabout and generally dropping bollocks often forced him inside, thus vacating his default position - as was the case with the penalty incident.

Jedinak 4: Poor on the ball, which is maybe to be expected. More disappointing is his lack of ability when it comes to protecting our defense. We really needed a better CM signing in the summer.

Tshibola 5: Didn't offer much protection to our back four, with Wolves strolling into dangerous areas at will. Also feel he's very slow to move the ball forward after winning it back, meaning that the opposition can funnel back before we can counter.

Adomah 5: Set pieces and creativity from open play were poor. Offers pace and worked hard defensively, but Ayew offers those qualities and much more imo.

Grealish 6: Best of our outfielders today. Linked well with McCormack and Kodjia at times, and did well to win our spot kick. Needs to be given quicker supply.

McCormack 6: Linked well in the first half. Was involved in the penalty build-up and could have scored himself if Kodjia had fed him. Poor second half, with him choosing the wrong option on several occasions. Seems to be a good organizer when it comes to set pieces and pressing.

Kodjia 6: Took his pen very well and was a handful. Awful piece of play when he chose to shoot, rather than pass to Ross. Another who needs quicker service to thrive.

Westwood 5: Offers no protection to the back 4.

Hutton 4: Awful.

Baker 6: Slotted in without making any mistakes, as he has always done when called upon this season. Must start.

different manager, but nothing else has changed.

Players still look half arsed and dont appear to know what they are supposed to be doing.

Tactics completely one dimensional and there never appears to be a plan b

How, with this squad, we are 22nd is beyond me...

Cant continue to follow this team as i'm sure i could manage the team better

Pretty dreadful tbf. Should of easily lost so I'm grateful for a point. What's worrying is that there was no new manager bounce that teams normally have. I honestly thought we would have a good go today, but it was the same old shit. We are not going up this year, and after today's game I know that for a fact. There is just way too much work to do on the field and mentally. Without sounding too negative, I honestly think we could be down here longer than we thought. If anyone can sort us out though, I'm sure Bruce can. Fans need to be patient I'm afraid, because there is no quick fix.

• Like 1

We are the slowest team in the league. Players have no pace, opposition waltz past us every time. Takes too long for the ball to get from the back to the front. We go side-to-side at a snails pass, and by this time the opposition have eleven behind the ball.

Can our players at least make a bit of effort to find space and do it quickly, we are totally reliant on individuals trying to make things happen on their own. Wait, wait, wait OK, now i'll move. No, get your arse moving earlier and want the ball.

It's so frustrating.

UTV

• Like 1

Agree with all that OBE but therefore baffled why with his wealth of experience Bruce didn't drop all that, cut out the pratting about in midfield, play Gestede (our top scorer) and/or Ayew (our biggest 'assist' provider) and/or two wingers and play hoofball/crossball.

The amount of times Wolves went back to front in two passes while we played 12 to go from our half way line and back again was awful to watch.

Someone needs to get us playing Championship style football, and very quickly, or we are going down.

• Like 1

Â