The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Every team is going to be looking at picking up most of their points against lower half teams. If you can beat those around you then excellent but the importance is not to lose those games. 

We've drawn with Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield, Derby and Leeds. We beat Fulham and Reading. We're doing better against the top 8 than people think, though we could do with winning a few more now. Indeed, I'm confident we will.

Our problem pre Bruce was beating the other trash, losing to the likes of Bristol and Preston. Humiliating, confidence crushing losses. That has hopefully passed, though I'm sure there will be one or two results along the way that hurt. Last night wasn't one of them. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Under Bruce we have played Brighton, Leeds twice, Reading, Fulham, all teams above us and in those five games lost only once and we more than held our own in all those games. This with with a poor midfield and goalkeeping options.

There is nothing to fear in the league. We have one of the best defences and arguably the best forward options. We improve the midfield and goalkeeping positions in this window and we will then have one of the best squads overall.

I am still supremely confident we will make the play offs.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Under Bruce we have played Brighton, Leeds twice, Reading, Fulham, all teams above us and in those five games lost only once and we more than held our own in all those games. This with with a poor midfield and goalkeeping options.

There is nothing to fear in the league. We have one of the best defences and arguably the best forward options. We improve the midfield and goalkeeping positions in this window and we will then have one of the best squads overall.

I am still supremely confident we will make the play offs.

Maybe individually yes but I'd argue as a team unit we are probably in top 10 of the worst. For example look at kodjia again not playing McCormack in yesterday. This happened a few games ago can't remember who opposition was, I think wolves?

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People keep saying this, what in the world makes anyone think we would be starting a Premier League season with this line up?

We don't need a whole squad, IF we get into the Premier League is when I'm sure we would start seeing real money spent on supplemental quality.

For me we need to build a team now that's good enough for promotion and that has the basis of a team that can at least compete at the lower premier league level. If we get promoted we can spend some money on a class forward, and a couple of other players who would go straight into the team.

You can't build a complete team at the end of the season and expect it to compete in the premier league, we tried that the season we was relegated and after a few loses a team of new players quickly loses its way.

Players we have now who could play at premier league level are Amavi and Baker, if they can keep fit and keep improving, As for the rest I couldn't argue any are good enough at the moment or show enough signs of improvement to warrant not being replaced. Ayew has shown promise but hasn't improved , Kodja is not complete enough to play as a lone striker. Jedinack is competitive but lacks any passing ability . Grealish isn't improving quickly enough .

Now this may all change and with a couple of additions and a rise in confidence, a few of these players may start to improve enough , but as of today the squad is far to weak in 90℅ of positions.

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

For me we need to build a team now that's good enough for promotion and that has the basis of a team that can at least compete at the lower premier league level. If we get promoted we can spend some money on a class forward, and a couple of other players who would go straight into the team.

This is the reason I have been flabbergasted at some people suggesting we blow big bucks on "Championship" players permanently. I have constantly said the only Championship players we should be signing are "wonderkids" or the very cream of the crop who have been unlucky to not be in the Premier League!

We need to use the loan market intelligently.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Derby, Huddersfield and Sheff Wed have winnable games that could open upa small gap and Barnsley vs Blues which means we will probably drop a place with a win.

Cardiff getting a rest prob doesnt help either :P

Given our very slow start under RDM I think we have done well to be near the play offs with half the season to go. We have not hit the heights that on paper at least this squad should be doing at this level. Given a few decent signings this month and perhaps also to shift a few as well, we should have a decent chance to get top 6. If not I think Bruce will make us have a serious push for automatic the season after.

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There were some cracking results for us today and we start the new year five points from the play off's. Bring it on.

After RDM was sacked, i think most would have snapped your hands off for that offer. Especially looking at our fixtures until mid-Feb.

• Like 1