The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

49 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We don't need a clear out. 

We need 2 or 3 players to augment the first XI and if in the process a couple leave so be it.

It's blindingly obvious the squads half finished and hobbled because of it.

In the context of my post and building for next season then we need shot of

hutton

gollini

bunn

westwood

gardner

gestede

Gabby

Elphick

Possibly Jedinak  

And arguably Ayew for reasons I've outlined in another thread 

I'd say that constitutes a clear out 

We can't win every game guys.

Tonight was our first dropped points at home since October and we have won a few late ones recently.

I'm o.k with a point...keeps us in touch with Leeds as them winning and they'd have started to disappear into the distance with Newcastle and Brighton.

We roughly need 40 points now to make the play offs....I think we'll do it.

A criticism yesterday was he struggle to beat anyone around us in the table. On the walk back from the pub just now I calculated we can get about 38 points just from beating the bottom half teams as we've been doing....10 points from the upcoming Cardiff, Bristol, PNE and Wolves games...another 10 from the Forest, Ipswich, Barnsley and Brentford games in Feb....9 points from QPR, Burton and Wigan games and then 9 points from Norwich, Blackburn and SHA (they'll be bottom half when we play them in March.

I wouldn't really want to bank on doing it that way but shows a way we could make the top 6 by continuing as we are.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

We have drawn similar game at home against Newcastle in last minutes under RDM. I'm not so sure RDM would have done worse. 

Yep, Bruce versus RDM on points won over games played is practically identical...

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yep, Bruce versus RDM on points won over games played is practically identical...

Way to twist my words  lol 

The fact is RDM has drawn many games very similar to the match we played today. To say we would have definitely lost this game under RDM is totally baseless and purely wrong.

Edited by Alakagom

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

In the context of my post and building for next season then we need shot of

hutton

gollini

bunn

westwood

gardner

gestede

Gabby

Elphick

Possibly Jedinak  

And arguably Ayew for reasons I've outlined in another thread 

I'd say that constitutes a clear out 

Nobody at the club would agree with you and has a zero chance of happening.

Of your list the only ones I would actively look to bin right now, would probably be Gabby and Hutton. Others could go if replacements were on offer (particularly Bunn) but I'd sooner be adding to that group and fixing what squad there is.

If the squad was a house, theres some rotten floorboards but there's holes in the roof to deal with first.

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Way to twist my words  lol 

The fact is RDM has drawn many games very similar to the match we played today. To say we would have lost this game under RDM is baseless. 

RDM was sacked for a reason. 

Lots more better teams than us in this division, none of them really very good. We are way off, there is still little to build on, but we are still only 3 to 4 decent, catalytic signings from clicking and kicking on.

We really have we erything to do. Luckily we have resources and ambition, and half a season so we have the advantage over everyone other than Newcastle in this league.

Edited by thunderball

46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Nobody at the club would agree with you and has a zero chance of happening.

you have a lot of conversations with people at the club do you ?

it's a forum where we can speculate , my view is those players aren't good enough , I suspect the majority of people here would agree with me  .... but I can't vouch for anyone at the club :P

Hutton, Bacuna and Jedinak are technically 3 of worst players I've ever seen. Replace these and he whole dynamic of the team changes. 

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you have a lot of conversations with people at the club do you ?

it's a forum where we can speculate , my view is those players aren't good enough , I suspect the majority of people here would agree with me  .... but I can't vouch for anyone at the club :P

No I don't.

But nobody's stupid enough to think we're binning that many players by next season and the club wouldn't do it. I don't think most of the players at the club are 'good enough' because as a Villa fan I'd probably say nobody is 'good enough' until we're winning PL titles, but in the meantime you have to be realistic and the fact of the matter is a clear out isn't happening and doesn't really need to be either. There's the foundation of a team that can get promoted, it needs some holes filled and for some first teamers to become squad options, but very little actively needs to go right now.

Sell Gestede. Loan out Kozak, Hepburn-Murphy & Green (if possible).

Loan in Rhodes, Jenkinson and a midfielder (if possible). Buy Hourihane, Josh Morris and a box to box midfielder - Lansbury?

Then we might have a chance. 

Edited by villarocker

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

No I don't.

But nobody's stupid enough to think we're binning that many players by next season and the club wouldn't do it.

for arguments sake I proposed 8 players ( and 2 maybes )

now , how many comparable squad  players to those I named left the club in the summer ? 

Guzan

clark

Gueye

Sinclair

okore

Lescott

Traore 

Bennett ( I won't count him as he played 1 game )

So that's 7... not counting Sánchez and Vertout who are out on loans but binned for want of a better word ... 

Of course past performance is no guarantee of future events , but perhaps it's not as unlikely / impossible as you think ? 

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Major work (and money) needed in Jan the current team isn't good enough to go up in my view.

It was clear tonight.

We rustle up chances probably as many as them.....but in terms of outfield play we come second, we were out battled.

Just like Burton, they looked like they had more players, they doubled up on us and we did not do that to them.

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

for arguments sake I proposed 8 players ( and 2 maybes )

now , how many comparable squad  players to those I named left the club in the summer ? 

Guzan

clark

Gueye

Sinclair

okore

Lescott

Traore 

Bennett ( I won't count him as he played 1 game )

So that's 7... not counting Sánchez and Vertout who are out on loans but binned for want of a better word ... 

Of course past performance is no guarantee of future events , but perhaps it's not as unlikely / impossible as you think ? 

The situations aren't comparable. This summer we suffered an ignominious relegation and a change of ownership. In that situation it's no surprise there was an unusually high turn over of players - relegation usually sees a big change and the injection of new cash also prompted more player moves. We won't have a similar situation again unless we change league or owner again, both being an ignition to significant change. Xia isn't going to outlay significant sums on a number of players in one go again without that IMO.

I have to say the Championship really is total shite. A bunch of over the hill failures or decent players with massive weaknesses are in weak as piss teams and play musical chairs for 46 low quality games then 3 go up and 3 go down. It's the absolute pits.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 2