The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

21 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

You could try but you would struggle to find a more verciferous critic of either RDM or our lack of midfield under him. I called it in the summer (I wasn't alone) and it's why I was publically calling for his head post Brentford and privately a lot earlier. 

I have though drawn a line under the RDM period so my comments re the midfield and goal scoring should only be read in reference to the Bruce reign.

What went before it, frankly was shambolic and the sooner RDM is a footnote in our history the better.

Why do I get the feeling you don't rate RDM? 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
was meant to be funny would've helped if i made a complete sentence......

15 hours ago, One For The Road said:

This is why talk of a top 2 finish is absurd.

Rubbish, hard but no way absurd! 

What the above table doesnt show is the fact Newcastle are only 2 points ahead of Brighton currently. They were relatively clear a few games back but have been dragged back towards Brighton.  Anything can happen in a few games which will change the trajectory of a season. 

The other point of this is that the top spot is no longer already sealed; thus there are now two teams that can falter and be caught.

Teams like Leeds, Norwich and (dare i say) Small Heath will take points from 1 or both, then there are the shocks too.  

We just have to keep winning to capitalise when we can!

19 hours ago, One For The Road said:

You can't possibly be serious about that surely? 

I didn't say at any point we would, just wouldn't be surprised, we could quite possibly get 25 draws, can't see your problem with my post Mandingo.

On 1 December 2016 at 09:08, villa89 said:

I have to disagree with that. I don't see all the games (just the ones on the tellybox) but earlier in the season our midfield was just non-existent. Gardner and Westwood might aswell have not been on the pitch, although not helped by the bizarre 5 up front tactics of RDM. We couldn't control the tempo of a game and we couldn't stop the opposition from dominating the middle of the park and that led to inevitable losses and draws. Villatalk's obsession with possession percentages bear out the fact that we just couldn't keep the football and control the game. We couldn't take the pressure off when we needed to. Also the I agree that our finishing was poor but I don't think that was the main reason we weren't winning games.

Disagree... We were controlling games... Whilst we weren't getting the results, the early games in the season we were totally dominating teams. We just couldn't score enough to put the game to bed, then we were giving 1 chance to the opposition and they'd equalise 

19 hours ago, weedman said:

So we've maintained our gap from the top 2 but gained massively on everyone else, we're showing Top 2 form since Brucey, but in order to actually close the gap on them we need them to lose form or us to do better. At the moment playoffs look the most likely then 

yep basically.    We're not closing the gap on the top 2, only the top 6.

22 minutes ago, ender4 said:

yep basically.    We're not closing the gap on the top 2, only the top 6.

Thats very easy to explain.

Unless you go WWWWWWW you wont gain points on everybody.

The "better positioned teams" are there for a reason - better results.

we have to simply keep on picking up points untill an amount of games have passed (10+ games 30+pts) that will reflect how many pts are dropped by who.

Just as we cant possibly expect to go WWWWWWWWWW noone else will.

Jack Niklaus once said "you can only affect your own score - if its enough, you win - if not, you dont deserve to win"

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Thats very easy to explain.

Unless you go WWWWWWW you wont gain points on everybody.

The "better positioned teams" are there for a reason - better results.

we have to simply keep on picking up points untill an amount of games have passed (10+ games 30+pts) that will reflect how many pts are dropped by who.

Just as we cant possibly expect to go WWWWWWWWWW noone else will.

Jack Niklaus once said "you can only affect your own score - if its enough, you win - if not, you dont deserve to win"

I expected us to go WWWWWWWWWDWWWWWWW before the season started.  Oh well.

6 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

I didn't say at any point we would, just wouldn't be surprised, we could quite possibly get 25 draws, can't see your problem with my post Mandingo.

You said you wouldn't be surprised if we went the whole of the rest of the season unbeaten. I asked you if you were serious because that's just plain mental. A 32 game unbeaten streak?

The over confidence on this forum has reached proportions I thought could never happen. :)

Edited by One For The Road

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Newcastle are going through a rough patch. Droppping more points. It'll be embarrassing if forest cant beat a 9 man Newcastle

Yeah. Newcastle may drop even more points before Xmas. But I would rather Brighton loses.

Tomorrow 3pm, an away loss vs Cardiff City. And we win. 10 points gap - very nice indeed.

12 minutes ago, KSV said:

Were not good enough this season. Awful goalkeeper and midfield and we dont have enough goals in the side

We will have chance to rectify things in January - we are not far off the top 5 

Big blow tonight. Such a shame as we had an opportunity to make up 3 points on the scum,  I won't feel right till we are above them. 

So so important that we get right back on it again now.  This could be a critical point,  if we don't respond and get on a other 5 games or so unbeaten run we will struggle. 2 defeats on the bounce or 1 point from 6 would leave us in a proper pickle and no mistake.