The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I agree tbf. I just hope we can achieve our full potential sooner rather than later. Brighton have been a good championship side for a few years now so it's going to be very tough.

If we have any chance of automatic promotion we have to beat them home and away I think. 

If we do manage to do that the gap between us is only 7 points which is doable. If we lose to them I don't think it will be possible to catch them. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If we have any chance of automatic promotion we have to beat them home and away I think. 

If we do manage to do that the gap between us is only 7 points which is doable. If we lose to them I don't think it will be possible to catch them. 

We might have thought the same about Norwich up until the last few games. They are going through a poor run as will Brighton at some point and I would like to think we have had our dodgy run already. I would be happy with a minimum of 8 points out of 12 against Brighton and Norwich.  

• Like 1

The form is good, so if we had to get depressed when we were shite, then I'll have to get optimistic now we've worked out how to win. The Jan window is going to make a huge difference so I can deffo see us getting play-offs and I really wouldn't rule out a push for automatic promotion either - but let's see how the next two go!

• Like 4

The thought of us in a play off spot could be quite nerve racking. Other than also Newcastle and possibly Norwich, if any other team loses in the play offs, it would probably be a case of " Oh well, try again next year". We have placed so much pressure on ourselves, even before the first ball was kicked this season. What could be worse than losing in the play offs? Losing in the play offs, finishing less than 6  points from an automatic promotion spot, and losing our shit over what could have/should have at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AJ said:

The thought of us in a play off spot could be quite nerve racking. Other than also Newcastle and possibly Norwich, if any other team loses in the play offs, it would probably be a case of " Oh well, try again next year". We have placed so much pressure on ourselves, even before the first ball was kicked this season. What could be worse than losing in the play offs? Losing in the play offs, finishing less than 6  points from an automatic promotion spot, and losing our shit over what could have/should have at the beginning of the season.

Thats the kind of losing mentality we had last season, fix up! This is a new era I am confident Brucie will have this sorted should we get into the play offs.I think its vital we finish 3rd or 4th though as second leg is at Villa Park and that could prove vital

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the kind of losing mentality we had last season, fix up! This is a new era I am confident Brucie will have this sorted should we get into the play offs.I think its vital we finish 3rd or 4th though as second leg is at Villa Park and that could prove vital

We will have so much interest in those games, probably more than any games in recent history. If we do get promoted, I will have a smile so wide, the top of my head will fall off.

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think we have more than enough to at least reach the play offs.

Under Bruce we have played the sides that currently sit 4th, 7th and 8th and beaten two of those drawing with one. We shouldn’t fear any side in this league certainly now we have a manager who knows what he is doing.

For me we have the best overall attacking options in the division. Defensively we now look way stronger with Jedinak playing a crucial role just in front of the back four. Where we lack a little is in the middle of the park but I fully expect that to be rectified in January.

If we can remain within a handful of points of the top 6 come January then with the additions I expect us to make I think we will make the play offs comfortably. I wouldn’t rule out second yet especially if we can beat Brighton in 11 days’ time.

Bruce has given us a great platform to build off for the rest for the season. When he arrived we were 10 points from the play offs. We are now just 4. Unbeaten in five games, unbeaten at home all season. The long run without an away win and without winning a game having come from behind are gone. The players must be buzzing and full of confidence. You add that to the ability we have in this squad, a manager who knows what it takes to get out of this division and a transfer window on the horizon and funds to spend then everything is falling into place to gain promotion.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Things are looking up, even if we lose against Brighton its not the end of the world I think. 

Next 6 are

a Brighton

H CARDIFF

a Leeds

H Wigan

a Norwich

a Qpr

Some tough games there 4 away games and two at home. you would imagine we will probably lose a couple of those. If we somehow remained unbeaten (massive ask) then you have to believe we will be in play offs come end of season. Its a tough run coming up.

• Like 1

To the end of the Christmas period we've got Brighton and Norwich away - tough.  Leeds home and away - tough-ish but winnable.  Then 5 other games against those level or below us - Cardiff x2, QPR, Burton and Wigan.  Would be disappointed to lose more than once in that run, but also expect 6 wins.  

40 points by 2nd Jan please...It's gonna be good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Things are looking up, even if we lose against Brighton its not the end of the world I think. 

Next 6 are

a Brighton

H CARDIFF

a Leeds

H Wigan

a Norwich

a Qpr

Some tough games there 4 away games and two at home. you would imagine we will probably lose a couple of those. If we somehow remained unbeaten (massive ask) then you have to believe we will be in play offs come end of season. Its a tough run coming up.

Beat Brighton,Leeds, and Norwich we are laughing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AJ said:

I do think we'll come to look back on the opening weeks with regret at the end of the season.

I think we'll finish in the top 6 and say we finished 5 points or so off 2nd then yes RDM stopped us going up.

I think long term though if we can't make it this year I fully expect us to go up next season.

If Bruce gets us top 6 then he'd have done a very good job of rescuing what was looknig a poor season and I look at what is probably coming down from the prem (Hull, Sunderland and Swansea) and can't say I'm worried about that at all.

As long as we keep things together and don't make stupid decisions regarding transfers we will be in a far stronger position for automatic promotion than how we started this season.