January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

It may sound mad given our league position but I think the last two windows overall we have done well. When you think of the amount of players we have signed you will always get a certain amount that will not work out.

I look at the squad now and on paper for this level it is very good. Individually, again at this level, we have some excellent players. What they now need is some continuity and time to evolve into a team. During that time we as fans have to show a little patience and not get onto their backs and certainly not call any of them out and make them scapegoats. Whether that continuity and time should come under Bruce is for another thread.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It may sound mad given our league position but I think the last two windows overall we have done well. When you think of the amount of players we have signed you will always get a certain amount that will not work out.

I look at the squad now and on paper for this level it is very good. Individually, again at this level, we have some excellent players. What they now need is some continuity and time to evolve into a team. During that time we as fans have to show a little patience and not get onto their backs and certainly not call any of them out and make them scapegoats. Whether that continuity and time should come under Bruce is for another thread.

Good post Mark as per

32 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Done well?

With the outlay we have I am not sure how we could do any worse?

We have 20m worth of signings this season already out on loan and looking like they have no future here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Done well?

With the outlay we have I am not sure how we could do any worse?

We have 20m worth of signings this season already out on loan and looking like they have no future here.

You make the amount of signings we have then some won't work out but I don't think the issue is the squad now. It is the lack of continuity. We made over 20 changes in the summer with ins and outs, then changed manager 12 games later, then 3 months later saw another 14 changes in terms of ins and out. 

I look at our squad on paper now and I think individually it looks as good as any, bar Newcastle, in this league. What it needs is time to be moulded into a team, time for players to form understandings, time for partnerships to develop and time for a team spirit to evolve. That won't happen overnight and certainly won't happen if they are working under different managers and coaches every few months.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KHV said:

I'm not impressed by the signings in the slightest. An inexperienced keeper and 5 outfield players 4 of whom I had never heard of before we signed them and the one I had heard of Lansbury was always known as for being more of a miss than a hit at Forest after being loaned here there and everywhere after Arsenal deemed him not good enough. 

All these signings will be on the biggest wages they will ever get during their mediocre careers because let's face it, they are bang average footballer's and we have spent ridiculous money on them. 

What a shit show we have become. 

That's the spirit. 

We bought Championship players and a manager who has done his best work in the Championship.

And next season we'll (hopefully) be playing Championship football again.

Who'd have thunk it?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Whilst on paper we look to have one of the better squads in the league, perhaps throwing so much money in terms of transfer fees and wages at this 'level' of player is not the wisest thing in the world. Perhaps a lot of the players we have signed lack the mental strength to perform under this level of pressure, and perhaps some of them have brought a mercenary mentality to the club, being happy to cash out on the astronomical wages they are earning to play in the Championship, without being driven enough to want us to succeed (after all, what do most of these players know about success, what do they know about getting to the Premier League? Nothing). 

Just speculating here of course but the quality we have seen on the pitch has simply not matched up to the quality we have on 'paper'. There has to be a reason for it, and whilst Bruce's pathetic tactics explain a lot of the recent 'form', I'm just not seeing enough of our signings taking genuine control on the football pitch, they are not stepping up to the plate, they are not performing to their best under pressure, who out there is really taking responsibility? There aren't any real leaders out there and it's a major problem. When you throw lots money at good players at this level, but ultimately have little 'big time' experience, and perhaps deep down don't quite have the right character and ambition, the danger is they become very comfortable. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, sne said:

We bought Championship players and a manager who has done his best work in the Championship.

And next season we'll (hopefully) be playing Championship football again.

Who'd have thunk it?

Understand what you are trying to say, but we have literally bought the BEST players in the championship, and some with glimmers of PL potential, still no excuses for our performances and decisions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Understand what you are trying to say, but we have literally bought the BEST players in the championship, and some with glimmers of PL potential, still no excuses for our performances and decisions.

Since we seems to lack any idea of how to use these players it's basically a failed moneyball project assembled by people who thought a Championship fantasy team would be a good idea.  

We've overspent to an obcene level on a terrible strategy. 

Still think another manager could build a functioning team out of the players were have thou.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Our problems are not because of the players we've bought.

They are being poorly managed.

I'm starting to feel that it's a combination, yes the ridiculous tactics/ management we've seen from Bruce is the chief culprit, but also think throwing massive wages at this level of player isn't going to necessarily deliver for us either. 

Newcastle signed proven Prem players in Gayle and Ritchie from the Prem for similar money to what we paid for Kodija and Adomah. Looking at the assists and top goal scorer table who got the better deal ?

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just speculating here of course but the quality we have seen on the pitch has simply not matched up to the quality we have on 'paper'. There has to be a reason for it,

Mate last couple of games we have seen five players in the starting 11 who have been here for between 2 and 6 weeks. Had Bree been fit yesterday that would have been 6 in the starting 11. There is a reason why performances are not matching the quality we have on paper and that is that we have not evolved into a team yet. They haven't got used to each other and they haven't got used to the system they are being asked to play. That hasn't just been the case since January that has been the case since August. Over 20 ins/outs last summer under a manager who didn't know how the pieces were going to fit together leading to us chopping and changing formation and line ups from the get go. Then 12 games in we changed manager and coaching staff and then had a manager inheriting an unbalanced squad again chopping and changing personnel and formation trying to find one which worked.

We are now in February and there has been no continuity all season. We don't have a settled side and we don't have a set formation and in fairness how could we with 6 starters coming in over the last month.

It is not something any fan wants to hear but this team now needs time. Time to build understandings, time to build partnerships and time to build a team spirit. It is not what any of us wanted but all we now have between now and the end of the season is the time to take a group of very good individuals for this level and mould them into a team. Whether Bruce is the man to do that I don't know but he will be given that time I think.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Newcastle signed proven Prem players in Gayle and Ritchie from the Prem for similar money to what we paid for Kodija and Adomah. Looking at the assists and top goal scorer table who got the better deal ?

Gayle wasn't proven at premier league level at all.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Gayle wasn't proven at premier league level at all.

Yep 15 goals in 64 games in the Premier League. Decent enough option for a lower half Prem team, but not proven.

However, he has 20 in 22 in the championship this season. All that confirms is that the standard of defending in this league is poor, and Gayle has done well to take advantage of it.

The fact that we have scored so few goals despite having previously prolific strikers in this league in McCormack, Gestede, Kodjia and now Hogan, shows what a terrible job our managers have been doing in setting us up.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Newcastle have a manager who can get the best out of his players and play to their strengths

We have a dinosaur who will ruin these players we have signed

• Like 2