January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

On 2/1/2017 at 05:39, KSV said:

I feel like this as well to be honest.. but it will pass in a few days and the 'wait we can still make play offs' kicks in...... until the next thud. 

yes. I am back to watch this game, and if we win this one:

I will be like 'wait we can still make play offs'!

Exactly!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

yes. I am back to watch this game, and if we win this one:

I will be like 'wait we can still make play offs'!

Exactly!

Welcome to the Roller Coaster that is Aston Villa fandom. 

Only problem is that for every Liverpool semi final there are 10 Arsenal finals. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

The other 3 aren't even here so for Aston villa, they were failed signings.

That makes no sense. Gueye went because he showed that he was a good player and could perform at that level - hence why he was sold. 

Is Benteke a failed signing because he left? 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean that he is not good enough lol.

He has been destroying defenders for the past 3/4 years at this level, furthermore he came to our club at a time where we had ZERO width, he is adds pace and another dimension to us when our players very frequently pull together..

I Don't watch championship football.... but I'm always aware of who the top performers are. 

Still waiting to see him 'destroy' any defenders this year, seen him destroy plenty of good opportunities though!

20 hours ago, lexicon said:

From our Ligue 1 buys: Amavi and Gueye were successes, Ayew reasonable/OK but Veretout failed. We didn't do that badly from Ligue 1 tbf. 

Not really. I don't think he has proved to be a good signing yet. the rest I agree with though.

4 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

I Don't watch championship football.... but I'm always aware of who the top performers are. 

Still waiting to see him 'destroy' any defenders this year, seen him destroy plenty of good opportunities though!

Makes sense now..

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 22:41, Xela said:

Not even Hourihane and Hogan who have been excellent this season? 

I'd be interested in seeing the list...

I'm ok with the Hourihane signing but not exactly thrilled. 

Not a big fan of Scott Hogan.

Bree has some potential and might end up being a good player but probably isn't a player I would have targeted. Not right now at least.

Although I don't rate the signings that highly I would still say they are top or close to top quality for the division we are in. A good manager shouldn't have any trouble getting performances out of them at this level especially if they were his choices.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 01:32, Mjvilla said:

Go on, as I am interested. Just get this in first, our summer raid on Ligue 1 recently wasn't exactly brilliant. Newcastle have tried and failed on ligue 1. So, I'm already sceptical because of where they come from.

Ok, I'll post a list later in the week. It will consist mainly of Ligue 1 players but I'll include some players from other leagues as well. It's based on just a handful of games I've watched over the last few weeks so it will be far from comprehensive but maybe I can add to it as the season progresses. Every player on the list will be a player I would have been excited for us to sign and a better option than the players we did sign.

On 2/1/2017 at 03:49, bannedfromHandV said:

@Michael118 what do you think? Does he have the cheekbones to 'make it' here or not?

He's 17 years old so even if I didn't rate him highly there is so much room for improvement in a player that young. I also can't find any footage of him to base an opinion around. What I'll say is if we do sign a player who I see as having a huge amount of potential, even at 17, I'll post about it in that player's thread.

Edited by Michael118

On 20 January 2017 at 18:21, Villan4Life said:

Would Omar Bogle of Grimsby be worth a £2mil punt? Local lad well Sandwell and banged them in non-league for Solihull Moors.

Has 18 goals already this season for Grimsby and only 24 years old. They have turned down £1.5mil bids from few championship clubs

Low and behold scores two on his Wigan debut last night. Only cost them £1.5mil in end will no doubt leave Wigan for big money in future. Love us take punt on striker from lower leagues as would have been nice option to alternate with kodjia and hogan.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Low and behold scores two on his Wigan debut last night. Only cost them £1.5mil in end will no doubt leave Wigan for big money in future. Love us take punt on striker from lower leagues as would have been nice option with kodjia and hogan.

Good to see a Blues reject doing so well :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Good to see a Blues reject doing so well :)

Lol and he was a baggies reject too. Even so  has blossomed and turned into a very lethal striker was a goal machine at Solihull moors as well and seems making step up at each level present.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Lol and he was a baggies reject too. Even so  has blossomed and turned into a very lethal striker was a goal machine at Solihull moors as well and seems making step up at each level present.

He's a finisher, god knows why either of those clubs let him go

I really don't get the fanfare over this window.

IMO we have spent well over the odds on some very unimaginative signings. Just like in the summer, our big signings have been the best players from other clubs, that's great I hear you cry but I do wonder how much actual scouting was done and how they would fit in at Aston Villa. Instead it looks like we just looked at the goals scored and assists columns and decided we'll have them!

I'm not entirely convinced the club is being run any better than when the previous mob was in charge.

(puts tin hat on)

Edited by jim

On 2/9/2017 at 17:18, Villan4Life said:

Low and behold scores two on his Wigan debut last night. Only cost them £1.5mil in end will no doubt leave Wigan for big money in future. Love us take punt on striker from lower leagues as would have been nice option to alternate with kodjia and hogan.

This is the problem, players like him and Zach Clough will do well at this level and cost less than £3m a pop, whereas we blow close to £30m on Hogan and Kodjia. Now although I'm a fan of Hogan there's no way he's worth what we paid. We have been incredibly dumb with a lot of our transfers this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is the problem, players like him and Zach Clough will do well at this level and cost less than £3m a pop, whereas we blow close to £30m on Hogan and Kodjia. Now although I'm a fan of Hogan there's no way he's worth what we paid. We have been incredibly dumb with a lot of our transfers this season. 

Mentioned this guy when we signed Hogan. Would much rather have someone with desire, hunger and  a point to prove that he can make it at a higher level. Instead of players coming here for the premier league contracts. 

14 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Personally I don't want us taking punts on lower league players. I'm happy with the activity in general. The problem to me is mainly coaching and mental not personnel (goalkeeper for one needs urgent attention) 

Spending a tonne of money has worked out really well hasn't it?

I've already said the personnel isn't the problem. I think we have spent well personally. The players are good enough. The problem for me is coaching and obvious mental issue. Buying lower league players works for other smaller clubs as there is no pressure. We have deeper problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

I really don't get the fanfare over this window.

IMO we have spent well over the odds on some very unimaginative signings. Just like in the summer, our big signings have been the best players from other clubs, that's great I hear you cry but I do wonder how much actual scouting was done and how they would fit in at Aston Villa. Instead it looks like we just looked at the goals scored and assists columns and decided we'll have them!

I'm not entirely convinced the club is being run any better than when the previous mob was in charge.

(puts tin hat on)

I'm not impressed by the signings in the slightest. An inexperienced keeper and 5 outfield players 4 of whom I had never heard of before we signed them and the one I had heard of Lansbury was always known as for being more of a miss than a hit at Forest after being loaned here there and everywhere after Arsenal deemed him not good enough. 

All these signings will be on the biggest wages they will ever get during their mediocre careers because let's face it, they are bang average footballer's and we have spent ridiculous money on them. 

What a shit show we have become. 

• Like 1