January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Based on League One versus Serie A/Championship?  Hmmmm....

Hmmm. Gollini had a pretty average season in serie a. Was making mistakes galore and not commanding enough.

we are aiming for play offs which Johnstone has experience in and also winning it. He is commanding

The guy will play in premiership with or without us in due course. He is a much better keeper than gollini doesn't matter what league they are in.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Based on League One versus Serie A/Championship?  Hmmmm....

Goalkeeper is the only position on the pitch where the level is of little relevance. IMO of course. If anything in the lower leagues they have to deal with more 'hopeful' balls lumped into the box. Making a save is making a save. 

If his attributes are right, the step up from keeping in League One to the Championship is nothing. I've never seen him play, but he can't be worse than Bunn. 

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If his attributes are right, the step up from keeping in League One to the Championship is nothing. I've never seen him play, but he can't be worse than Bunn. 

I'm not worse than Bunn

Plus I can kick a ball over the halfway line.

And my distribution would be 4 times better as I would never throw/pass the ball to Hutton, Westwood, Gardner or Bacuna.

And I'd never hoof it long to Gaby.

In fact I would goad everybody up the pitch bring the ball out the box as far up the pitch as possible then either shoot for goal, kick it out for a throw in near the cornerflag or dribble through their whole team scoring a worldy

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Goalkeeper is the only position on the pitch where the level is of little relevance. IMO of course. If anything in the lower leagues they have to deal with more 'hopeful' balls lumped into the box. Making a save is making a save. 

Disagree. The higher up the leagues you go, the better the quality of strikers and finishing in general you are up against. 

How many times on tv do you see a standard save where the commentary tries to make out that it was a great save.. In reality most of the time the shot was straight at the keeper and it wasn't a great save at all. The lower down the leagues you go the more standard saves are made and keepers get a false reputation of being better than they are. 

When you are up against better players you have to spread yourself better and dive further to make saves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Hmmm. Gollini had a pretty average season in serie a. Was making mistakes galore and not commanding enough.

we are aiming for play offs which Johnstone has experience in and also winning it. He is commanding

The guy will play in premiership with or without us in due course. He is a much better keeper than gollini doesn't matter what league they are in.

Gollini had a very good season playing for what was basically Serie A's version of Villa.

Bit worrying that despite being 2 years older than Gollini, Johnstone couldn't get in to the PNE side last year and nobody bought him in on loan this summer.

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Gollini had a very good season playing for what was basically Serie A's version of Villa.

Bit worrying that despite being 2 years older than Gollini, Johnstone couldn't get in to the PNE side last year and nobody bought him in on loan this summer.

Unless Gollini was a major, major, talented young keeper it was always going to be difficult for him to come here and play a full season as number 1 - He was always go8ing to need a season or 2 to settle. It was a bit of daft move by RDM to he honest - he brought him as number 1 - when realistically he need time in the reserves - Baring a series of world beating appearances - which we didn't get.

Johnstone has a little more experience - and is slightly older - at £2m he's cheaper than Gollini

To be honest though I wouldn't be surprised if neither is at the club start of next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Glad we're clearing deadwood pretty fast. 2 outs so far and I couldn't be more pleased lol

As I said in the summer with the massive turnover in personnel under RDM that under normal circumstances most people would obviously want a more transitional transfer plan not to upset the balance of the squad etc. These are not normal circumstances however and the quicker they all go, the better. There's nothing I'd want to keep about Hutton, Bacuna, Richards, Cissokho, Gardner or Agbonlahor. Westwood's time is surely up. Ayew frustrates me greatly and I don't think he'll be missed, Kozak and Rudy seem to have left the building. I'm glad DrX and the crew are rumoured to be after 5 players. I'll be amazed if we manage to shift any of those first 6 i mentioned though in this window. People's desire to stand up for any of those individually is admirable and from a heart which flows claret and blue, i get it. But we all deep down know they're just not good enough at football.

• Like 3