Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Not "committing to an opinion" is hilarious. An opinion can change based on future events. In this case, managing more games. The fact this is the view of somebody that you must have an opinion and stick to it no matter what, is quite ridiculous. 

Absolutely correct. I was not a fan of Bruce, then quite liked his first 2 months, didn't like January at all, now have hope that the new season could be very prosperous. To stick to one opinion no matter what, means your opinion isn't worth listening to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JE- said:

You mean you don't commit to a proper opinion on Bruce so when he messes up you can slide off that other side of the fence and say hello he was crap see I was right all along.. Or if he gets us up you can come down on like  ton of bricks to folks who don't rate him and say the same thing? 

Sorry but this don't wash with me I see right through it 

It's clear as day by the responses I'm getting that Bruce is getting massive defence based on past glory rather than what he is actually achieving at villa which is a disgraceful league position playing disgraceful football 

I've asked the question twice now to disprove your point.. I'm happy to sit back and hear all the reason why Bruce is a good appointment if you take away talking about just promotions.. What other qualitys does the guy possess? 

Currently on the fence with Bruce sliding on the side of out but despite that I'm prepared to give him until the first 10-15 games of next season just to see if he can turn it around.

I'm doing that because employing a guy who has gained four promotions in approximately the same period in the same league we are now in deserves that time.

You see that's what owners and chief executives do when employing managers. They look at their past record and how they conduct themselves in the media.

Maybe you expected Wyness and Xia when interviewing Bruce to ask him which hairdressers he goes to due to having nice hair if that's the other qualities you speak of?:)

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

would have

could have

no doubt about it Aston Villa should have got more than 3 wins.

We were held to ransom by Lerner.

Quite the opposite by DrT (for the now)

We should simply be doing better

My opinion is GH we are doing better.....a bit of resilience is creeping back in.

10 wins to his name in all this WIP is good.

The game at Huddersfield showed signs of improvement, considering they had 2 loan players from Man City and Chelsea......bits of teamwork starting to appear.

Every new player we have signed has made reference to the gelling and that it is getting better.

This job always was much, much bigger than we all thought and those fans who thought that these new players would come in and zip pity doo da with a click of the fingers are clearly disappointed.....but is that their fault for underestimating the size of the task or Steve Bruce for taking the time that most managers would.

He now has a set of circumstances where c10 players are out injured, talk about putting fires out.

in the summer, he can add.....and maybe concentrate on a few choice loan players, who I understand the new scouts have already identified......but it will be tweaks then and players coming in to relatively settled side

You will see a different team for the better next season.....and perhaps wonder how that has happened.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Here's the thing. In 2017, we're not a bigger club than Newcastle. I know it will hurt to hear it but the only people who think we're a bigger club than Newcastle right now are our own supporters. We haven't won a trophy in more than 20 years and we're playing in the Championship.

Bruce was the best available manager who was willing to manage a Championship side. We aren't going to be able to attract a Champions League quality manager in our current state and it's alarmingly unrealistic to think we can until we're at least in the Premier League. The amount of managers we've gone through in the past couple of seasons make us an even less attractive prospect.

Bruce is capable of getting us to the Premier League. He's done it before with a lot less backing than he has now. Let's give him a couple of seasons to build. Just assuming it will happen because we've historically been a big club is why Leeds haven't been in the Premier League for 13 years. They've averaged a new manager every year in that time.

Unless a superstar manager is available and is willing to manage us, we need to trust that we've got a guy who can get us to the Premier League and back him in.

You are bang on.

but even if by a stroke of luck, we did get a superstar manager( and of course that statement alone is subjective) how do we know that a big job comes up and off they go.

folk can scoff all they like ,this club needs stability, like a car crash victim needs blood.

I do not understand why more can't see this.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JE- said:

I'm still not hearing his other qualities folks amongst all the words I'm looking at

I'm not putting my point across I'm asking to be persuaded.. Again I'm open to your thoughts

You don't sound terribly open to people's thoughts. Also, I'd imagine most have better things to do than pursuade someone they've never met out of something that they seem completely convinced of... like talking to a brick wall, or shouting at a cat, or screeching into the black night; all these acts seem more productive. 

• Like 2

Steve Bruce says Villa must finish in the top 10 this season and mount a challenge for promotion next term.

Bruce hasn’t given up on the play-offs for the claret and blues but knows it will be a difficult task.

But, if we don’t achieve that goal this time around, Bruce says the minimum is completing the campaign in the top half and then pushing for the Premier League in 2017/18.

He said: “We know that next season we have to be there or thereabouts. I think everyone expects that. 

“A lot of the lads have a lot to prove over the next 10 games and stake a claim that once pre-season comes that they are part of our squad that will take this club to mount a challenge.

“I think everyone is disappointed this season that we haven’t been able to. But it’s not that easy. Just because we’re Aston Villa doesn’t give us a divine right as we have seen many times. 

“But it has got to be the aim and the challenge. There is still a lot to play for this season in my eyes because we have to finish in the top 10. We have to. 

“We must finish the season strongly which will stand us in good stead for the beginning of next which will be huge for everybody.”

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/03/10/bruce-on-his-aims

• Like 3

Last season, we finished with 17 points, half of what Norwich had. We were not PL standard by any stretch, and what we amassed would have been the standard of a mid to lower mid table championship team if somehow they were in the PL. This happens to be what we are now.

When we were looking for RDM's replacement, Steve Bruce was the best credible available option. He started well. We were winning games, and we were doing it with next to no midfield. Good job, Mr Bruce!

Then January came. There was that perplexing signing of Sam Johnstone. We stopped winning. Tactics and the use of, or lack of use of substitutes was baffling. It was frustrating, and criticism and doubt about Steve Bruce was understandable and fair game. After being quite close to being to the play off spots, we are now out of contention. Bad Bruce! Bad, bad, Bruce!

What we should be expecting, is a decent platform for next season. We are not going anywhere. Lets get the team gelling. Lets start getting our tactics and style of play down pat. Lets start looking like a football team again.

If we were to decide if Bruce was to stay next season, what yardstick should we use? Finish above 10th, while winning the last few games that show us that good times are to come?

If Bruce fails to deliver on this and Tony decides to pull the trigger, I am cool with that.

We have most of the players to be a force, it is just a matter of finding the right button pusher to push the right buttons. In the summer, rather than splashing out on players, maybe Tony should use his wallet wallop in finding a decent manager. Maybe another striker, and another decent DM should do us as far as players. Oh, and GK.

I know I am going to get ragged on for this, but shut up and listen to my wacky reasoning after I have the audacity of mentioning his name. Guus Hiddink. I understand most would think he is out of reach, but just hear me out. I don't believe he manages for glory. Twice he has stepped in at Chelsea, and stabilised them by the end of the seasons he has stepped in. Both times, he could have stayed on, and done a job with them, but he didn't. He also managed Australia, even though he knew we had no chance of winning, but still did an excellent job. He seems like a nice guy, he is unemployed, and if it means paying him a lot of money, then why not at least try? If Bruce isn't good enough, then why not raise our own bar and fix a problem that has been bothering us for this decade?

Whether Bruce is good enough to stay, or we find a decent replacement, the real bottom line is what is best for Villa.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As opposed to Newcastle who haven't won a trophy in more than 60 years and are playing in the Championship?

As opposed to Newcastle who are going to win the Championship and go straight back up.

We've got the potential to absolutely dwarf Newcastle, but we're certainly not there yet, and talking about how big a club we are all the time is probably part of the reason the likes of Stoke, Swansea and West Brom have been better clubs than us for half a decade. We need to get our collective heads out of the clouds because there's work that needs to be done on the ground and we have to put in the groundwork if we want to build back to our rightful place at the top of football.

In the context of what I was speaking about, demanding a world class manager because "We're a big club" is pointless and embarrassing.

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

You are bang on.

but even if by a stroke of luck, we did get a superstar manager( and of course that statement alone is subjective) how do we know that a big job comes up and off they go.

folk can scoff all they like ,this club needs stability, like a car crash victim needs blood.

I do not understand why more can't see thus.

I know it's not a perfect example, but Ranieri didn't get Leicester into the PL. They toiled away for a bit under Pearson and built themselves up before getting the right manager in place.

Unless Dr Tony is going to spend Chelsea or Man City money (and he can't with FFP), we're going to need to build slowly and sustainably. We've turned over the staff and we've made good signings, and we've grabbed a decent manager who has gotten teams out of the Championship before. It's all about a culture change now. Our culture took half a decade to break down under Lerner and it might take half a decade to be repaired. A bit of stability will help that enormously.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, striker said:

Currently on the fence with Bruce sliding on the side of out but despite that I'm prepared to give him until the first 10-15 games of next season just to see if he can turn it around.

I'm doing that because employing a guy who has gained four promotions in approximately the same period in the same league we are now in deserves that time.

You see that's what owners and chief executives do when employing managers. They look at their past record and how they conduct themselves in the media.

Maybe you expected Wyness and Xia when interviewing Bruce to ask him which hairdressers he goes to due to having nice hair if that's the other qualities you speak of?:)

Not sure wyness is in need of hairdresser ;)

Â