Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It's unrealistic to expect promotion this year.  Bruce would need to win about 55% of games and get over 70 points.  I hope villa fans don't expect miracles then turn on him and Xia if we don't go up.  Think we will need to consolidate for now and push on next season.  

Winning 55% of the matches is certainly achievable especially with the squad we have now. I also assume Tony will be letting Bruce do some shopping in January as well. Bruce should have us at least in the playoff hunt.

To be honest I don't think it's even about to tactics and formations. It all boils down to individual ability and more importantly belief and confidence. Had we took chances earlier games there is no way the players would look so scared at this point We don't need a master tactician right now. We need a hell of a man manager that will make these players believe they can beat anyone. 

Edit: a Sherwood or MON would have a field day with this squad in this league. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Well , despite the fact I think your comment is not serious and just a point scoring exercise from a manager 5 people ago, I hope so too. Personally I doubt it and that is all this is about . Difference of opinions.

It genuinely wasn't meant to be offensive Richard, I'd hoped you might take the joke. It's all got a bit serious really. The Lambert joke makes a point though, you are on a just on a different side of the argument this time. 

I do half mean it though. There's lots of different reasons why I think this could be a really good fit. In short, I think the limitations people place on him are in large part down to the clubs he has managed and their respective resources. Much like Allardyce, I think there might be more to him if given the backing a bigger club can provide. 

Could be totally wrong, I mean I would have kept Lambert and I wouldn't have sacked RDM either, so I'm not much of a judge. Hope he gets a proper chance though, that's the main thing. 

Edited by wazzap24

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

It genuinely wasn't meant to be offensive Richard, I'd hoped you might take the joke. It's all got a bit serious really. The Lambert joke makes a point though, you are on a just on a different side of the argument this time. 

I do half mean it though. There's lots of different reasons why I think this could be a really good fit. In short, I think the limitations people place on him are in large part down to the clubs he has managed and their respective resources. Much like Allardyce, I think there might be more to him if provided with the backing a bigger club can provide. 

Could be totally wrong, I mean I would have kept Lambert and I wouldn't have sacked RDM either, so I'm not much of a judge. Hope he gets a proper chance though, that's the main thing. 

Another krulak comment! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

Well , despite the fact I think your comment is not serious and just a point scoring exercise from a manager 5 people ago, I hope so too. Personally I doubt it and that is all this is about . Difference of opinions.

Dude do you just look for arguments all day? Don't you get the winky face! 

• Like 1

Have heard over the last few days that he's not that good in the transfer market. I wouldn't agree with that. He's made some very shrewd signings at various clubs. Clemence from Spurs, great value, great signing for them. Forrsell. Savage was pretty decent. Seb Larson. Andrew Robertson. None of them world class but honest pros who never seemed to make many mistakes. I'd take that right now.

Good luck to him . He has some fairly decent attacking players to utilise so I'm intrigued to see how he goes about it. 

Install an identity and play on the front foot. Give us something to cheer about and we'll repay tenfold from the terraces.

He has the opportunity to succeed and I just hope the stars are aligned because this being crap malarkey is getting old

.welcometothesuck-jarhead.jpg~c200

• Like 2

Terrific appointment.

Im not expecting promotion this year not by a long shot. 

At this point I just want to see us winning some games again and improving on the truly incredible record of 4 wins in 54 games.

If by the end of the season I see us mid table with our confidence back and showing signs of some mental strength and resilience the I will genuinely be happy.

We will be back up within 2 years with Bruce and Xia's backing im certain of it.

• Like 1

I'm presuming Bruce is gonna set us up quite old-fashioned, with 'safety first' predictable tactics, and this to me is the biggest worry. Managers with a more modern outlook on football will most likely be able to nullify or outplay us. Furthermore I fear for the development of young, promising talents, such as Gresford, etc. 

Also I don't buy into the notion that 'tactics and formations' do not matter. They certainly do, and anyone suggesting otherwise need a reality check.

11 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Install an identity and play on the front foot. Give us something to cheer about and we'll repay tenfold from the terraces.

This. It's really all that it takes, and I'll eat humble pie until the pigs start flying, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'm presuming Bruce is gonna set us up quite old-fashioned, with 'safety first' predictable tactics, and this to me is the biggest worry. Managers with a more modern outlook on football will most likely be able to nullify or outplay us. Furthermore I fear for the development of young, promising talents, such as Gresford, etc. 

Also I don't buy into the notion that 'tactics and formations' do not matter. They certainly do, and anyone suggesting otherwise need a reality check.

I don't care how he sets up.

if he wins a few games. 

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I share the second concern, but not the first. Predictable tactics are fine. We know how most teams play, from Man City to Arsenal to PNE. Set up a system that works the best for the talent you've got available. That's fine by me.

But the desire to get promoted, and the need to do so will inevitably lead, particularly with this choice of manager, to ignoring aspects like development of talent. I also think that teams will (as they did with RDM) seek to thwart and stifle us, deny space, sit back and then try and exploit free kicks, break aways etc. for their chances. I don't think Bruce is the sort of manager to deal with that at all well. I don't think any of his former sides were good at it. I don't think they were set up to be creative and break sides down. I don't think he's ever showed flexibility in thinking, or being able to adapt to situations.

His strength has been to motivate and organise comparatively "solid" teams with very little flair.

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Firstly, before we talk about Bruce developing talents like Grealish those said talents need to take personal accountability for their piss poor attitude to their profession. Would you agree ? Secondly, Bruce has given young players opportunities in the past on many occasions.

Â