Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Nice comment below the Guardian piece:

jdanddiet
2h ago
5 6

Steve surveyed the wreckage around him and sighed. He looked at his watch. It was a simple time-piece, not one of your £800 items that his players often boasted. No, his was a plain £80 watch from Argos, but it did its job. It told the time. It wasn't always right, but what was time anyway? He always felt constrained by time. He needed more of it, but it wasn't there. How nice it would be to have the time to mould his team, make it better, faster, in his image.

But he knew he didn't have the time. It was promotion. Or game over.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/12/aston-villa-appoint-steve-bruce

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Maybe like me Doug - they would have preferred a road map for the future- not a short term quick fix solution, that will in my opinion end in failure. We need a cohesive strategy for the future with a villa man at the helm- I said earlier we are in danger of becoming a laughing stock with a poison chalice reputation just to please the clamour for a short term gain. This appointment has the capability of setting us back a further 3 years in my view

Ok so what "Villa Man" has the experience needed to get a team in free fall back up the table and promoted ? Don't you see you're asking for the impossible. There are no candidates that fit your strategy, so it's impossible for the board to do that, but it's also foolhardy of you to believe that the board don't want success, and also that the manager that gets us promoted has to be the one to take us forward in the premier league, the phrase horses for courses springs to mind.

modern football is very different, there are no Villa Men anymore, there are players that played for us, there are some who even have an affinity with us as fans (such as Petrov), but there aren't people like Brian Little and Gordon Cowans whose blood runs Claret and Blue anymore, because quite simply footballers are much much further from reality and struggle to comprehend the average guys day to day struggles, or the importance a football team has in distracting from them.

Where has this 2 years for Steve Bruce come from? From what I have read Xia has said it could take 2 years to get promotion and he believe RDM could have achieved this but there was to much pressure to get results quick and it achieve promotion this season.  So how on earth does this mean Bruce gets 2 years!!??

4 minutes ago, dukes said:

Ok so what "Villa Man" has the experience needed to get a team in free fall back up the table and promoted ? Don't you see you're asking for the impossible. There are no candidates that fit your strategy, so it's impossible for the board to do that, but it's also foolhardy of you to believe that the board don't want success, and also that the manager that gets us promoted has to be the one to take us forward in the premier league, the phrase horses for courses springs to mind.

modern football is very different, there are no Villa Men anymore, there are players that played for us, there are some who even have an affinity with us as fans (such as Petrov), but there aren't people like Brian Little and Gordon Cowans whose blood runs Claret and Blue anymore, because quite simply footballers are much much further from reality and struggle to comprehend the average guys day to day struggles, or the importance a football team has in distracting from them.

Whats a Villa man? Is Dwight Yorke a Villa man?

edit : sorry that post was to do Dave D? He seems to think we are Barcelona where we can let an ex player manager us and take the glory.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

44 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

RDM was sacked because he was apparently failing in the Holy Grail trail of promotion in the first season. If that was the expectation of the owner at the start of the season I do not expect him to have changed his mind in October. If he has given up on this season already then why pull the plug after 11 games? The reason he did it so soon was to give the next manager 35 games in which to achieve the plan.

I didn't say he had given up. Neither should we. 

I was pointing out that things are much harder now after a very poor start, which might give Bruce some leeway should we fall short. 

Nothing about throwing in the towel. 

1 hour ago, USA_Villa said:

Here's why I'm not excited about this appointment:

1. Prior to RDM, if anyone had suggested we contact Hull and ask them if we can approach Steve Bruce, we would have laughed at them. What has changed?
  2. Our vastly experienced board have taken the easy approach. Go for the guy with the so called 'experience' and 'track record'. Are you really telling me that there are no younger, more talented and ambitious managers out there? And why did we take 10 days to make this decision. Don't tell me it was due diligence. 
  3. Do we think this is a long-term appointment? If not, why not? What happens when we don't get out of this division this season.
  4. He is tainted with a Blue brush. Like it or not, we have that to deal with every time we deal with our Bluenose friends and colleagues.

I really, really hope I'm wrong. I hope they have a Plan B ready and waiting.

I'd also like to know who else was interviewed or on the list.

UTV

My thoughts:

1. At the time of RDM's appointment, having just got Hull promoted he didn't appear a realistic option. Had we approached Hull though, I don't think that would have been laughable 

2. Why wouldn't any employer go for experience or track record over taking a chance on a younger candidate?

3. Let's just focus on getting out of this division - something Bruce has a good track record of

4. I just don't get the Blues thing. I really don't give a flying **** about that. If he gets us promoted I don't care if he's been a member of IS or if he's shagged my old dear - just as long as he gets us up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USA_Villa said:

Here's why I'm not excited about this appointment:

1. Prior to RDM, if anyone had suggested we contact Hull and ask them if we can approach Steve Bruce, we would have laughed at them. What has changed?

What? Do we really have to point out the bleedin' obvious? 

• Like 1

Didn't want Bruce, but willing to support him wholeheartedly, I can understand the appointment and on reflection I feel it could turn into a positive move by the club, who can really say he is only a short term fix, he might exceed expectations of some!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dukes said:

I'm not sure they'd have the best credentials but imagine a coaching back room of

Schmeichel - gk coach 

laursen - defensive coach

platt - midfield coach

saunders - striker coach. 

That sentimentality would probably get us nowhere. But hey. 

I didn't put mellberg in as I am positive he will manage us one day. Maybe in about 7/8 years. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I didn't say he had given up. Neither should we. 

I was pointing out that things are much harder now after a very poor start, which might give Bruce some leeway should we fall short. 

Nothing about throwing in the towel. 

I think it would be the nature of falling short.  Battle for a play off position up to the last few games then you have something to build on.  Spend the whole season adrift then I see a change.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Mostly because I think it will end poorly regardless. Given our new owner's megalomaniac statements thus far, I'm rather surprised he didn't go for gold now. Fwiw RDM was also the sensible, tried and tested type, albeit younger and with a slightly better cv.

They're not even remotely comparable. In any sense. 

In what way is Xia a megalomaniac?

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

I'm presuming Bruce is gonna set us up quite old-fashioned, with 'safety first' predictable tactics, and this to me is the biggest worry. Managers with a more modern outlook on football will most likely be able to nullify or outplay us. Furthermore I fear for the development of young, promising talents, such as Gresford, etc. 

Also I don't buy into the notion that 'tactics and formations' do not matter. They certainly do, and anyone suggesting otherwise need a reality check.

I think he'll set us up like Hull last year who where on of the top scorers 

1 minute ago, Midfielder said:

I'm not sure they'd have the best credentials but imagine a coaching back room of

Schmeichel - gk coach 

platt - midfield coach

I didn't put mellberg in as I am positive he will manage us one day. Maybe in about 7/8 years. 

Schmeichels a Villa man??

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it would be the nature of falling short.  Battle for a play off position up to the last few games then you have something to build on.  Spend the whole season adrift then I see a change.

With this squad and further additions in January then yeah maybe, but I'm not ready to start writing his epitaph. I think it's madness. 

Let's see how we get on Saturday first off. Then Tuesday, then the following Saturday. Let's take it from there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

4. I just don't get the Blues thing. I really don't give a flying **** about that. If he gets us promoted I don't care if he's been a member of IS or if he's shagged my old dear - just as long as he gets us up.

Wasn't Peter Withe a nose before joining us ?!!!

2 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Schmeichel - gk coach 

platt - midfield coach

If Schmeichel and Platt can be classed as Villa Men, then why not add Sasa Curcic to that back room team

Â