Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

283 games

136 wins

48%

Edit - that's from Sheffield through Huddersfield, Palace, Blues and Hull. 

Edit 2 - you can take as fact. I researched it myself splitting out cup games etc. 

48....that Twiter stat doing the rounds said 53% I think - i trust you - Bruce out!

50 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

RDM was sacked because he was apparently failing in the Holy Grail trail of promotion in the first season. 

It wasn't that he was failing in that objective (I for one never expected us to go up this season).it was because of the SPECTACULAR scale of that failure. If we'd been giving it our win-some-lose-some best shot, he'd probably have been given some slack. But the team selections, formations, player motivation - you name it - have been abject. SB has a mountain to climb, but I honestly can't see him being remotely as inept as RDM was. 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it would be the nature of falling short.  Battle for a play off position up to the last few games then you have something to build on.  Spend the whole season adrift then I see a change.

With this squad and further additions in January then yeah maybe, but I'm not ready to start writing his epitaph. I think it's madness. 

Let's see how we get on Saturday first off. Then Tuesday, then the following Saturday. Let's take it from there. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

With this squad and further additions in January then yeah maybe, but I'm not ready to start writing his epitaph. I think it's madness. 

Let's see how we get on Saturday first off. Then Tuesday, then the following Saturday. Let's take it from there. 

I see where you are coming from but this squad should be making playoffs.  Its never that simple but that has to be his objective for this season at the least. 10 points is nothing to make up on when you consider we literally dropped 9 points.

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

48....that Twiter stat doing the rounds said 53% I think - i trust you - Bruce out!

That 53% stat is since 04 only, since the Championship rebrand. So strictly speaking it's correct. 

Mine includes Division 1 stats too. Football didn't start in 92 and it DEFINITELY didn't start in 04!

Bruce is the best manager currently available that we could have got ,he has 1 thing different from our last few managers and that is bucket loads of experience and his man mangement skills are supposedly excellent ,no doubt he has his faults and he isn't world class but neither are we at the minute it could be a good fit  and 1 of these new gaffers is eventually going to be the right 1 so why not Bruce .Best of luck to him he has come to a massive club potential is huge just needs right man to unlock it .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dukes said:

If Schmeichel and Platt can be classed as Villa Men, then why not add Sasa Curcic to that back room team

I didn't mention these as "villa men" , just a looser link to coaching dream team from my own affinity toward them that's all. All hypothetical

1 hour ago, USA_Villa said:

Here's why I'm not excited about this appointment:

Our vastly experienced board have taken the easy approach. Go for the guy with the so called 'experience' and 'track record'. Are you really telling me that there are no younger, more talented and ambitious managers out there? And why did we take 10 days to make this decision. Don't tell me it was due diligence. 

UTV

Why are you saying "experience" and "track record" are negatives?

Also on the 10 days, the Doc has said there was a list of 25 which was whittled down.   

• Like 1

Just now, pacbuddies said:

How long did the good Doctor give RDM in front of the world?

Exactly. His first mistake would definitely have given him a reality check, so you could see why his expectations may have been reevaluated. 

I don't expect to get promoted this season but I hope we do .I still think we are capable of clawing our way  in to the playoffs, based purely on having seen other slow starting clubs do it every single year. It's an uphill task though so it would be unreasonable to expect anything else other than having a bloody good go at it . 

If you expect promotion THIS season then it may be a frustrating old time for you . Until we get central midfielders who leave the game with green shorts and bruised thighs , it will be hard too hard to string the win combos together that are needed to climb back into contention. That may not happen til January.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought manager decides on style on football?

I'm sure he does, but usually the support functions are set accordingly - not given in advance. If Bruce has a different philosophy they might not be contributing as much as expected or to their potential

Â