Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I can see how you arrive at this conclusion - however Bruce has form for this type of scenario - Brian is a humble man with integrity right the way through him.

I personally would not put them in the same sentence.

By the way I'm not in anyway inferring you have a slight on Brian👍🏻

It was just saying how the emotional pull of your boyhood club can be too big to ignore especially as SB is pretty much at the end of his managerial career now. He also hasn't managed in premier league since 14/15 so even a relegation battle wouldn't stop the kudos of being premier league manager again and all the trappings.

Guess when you look at it Dean Smith left Brentford when they were just outside top 6 and looking good to finish around there and came to us in similar position. No guarentee at all we were going to finish in them when you see our position at start of March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Strange how nobody is slating Lampard for leaving Derby for his Dream job at Chelsea a week ago despite only being 1 year into his 3 year contract of a club that took a massive chance giving him his first managerial job

Or that he added to the age of the squad by signing 2 players 28 & over for a lot of money with potentially little to no resale value (for Derby anyway, Waghorn is their 4th most expensive signing ever and scored only 9 league goals),

and extended contracts of over 30's ,

Oh & and relied heavily on young loans from other teams & his 38 year old mate with no resale value,

and has let contracts expire at the end of the season....

oh and failed to get them up..

But it's ok because it's Lampard and his dream job...

12 months ago he said this : https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/frank-lampard-joins-the-rams-as-new-manager

Frank Lampard said: “I’m excited to be making my first move into management with a club with such huge tradition and history.

“I have spent considerable time discussing the role and the club’s objectives with the Chairman Mel Morris CBE and the board. We want to build on the club’s top six finish in the Championship last season, while at the same time bringing through some of the excellent youth and Academy talent we have at Pride Park.

“This is my first job as a manager but I’ve been working towards this for a long time. I’ve worked closely with some of the best coaches in the game and I’m confident in my own abilities and those of the team around me.

“I know it won’t be easy – managing a football team never is – but I’m here to work hard. I’m really looking forward to getting started and to the challenge ahead."

Does Frank Lampard have a reputation for leaving teams so quickly? 

Is Frank Lampard also a prick? Nope on both counts

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Does Frank Lampard have a reputation for leaving teams so quickly? 

Is Frank Lampard also a prick? Nope on both counts

Well considering he has managed 1 team and left 1 year into his 3 year contract i would say the answer to your first question is yes..

The second question is debatable i guess but i would err on the side of yes

• Confused 1

I'd feel pretty pissed off about Bruce if I was a SW fan. But given the lack of loyalty routinely shown to managers by their clubs, it seems a little unfair to criticize a manager for leaving when a better opportunity comes along.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Strange how nobody is slating Lampard for leaving Derby for his Dream job at Chelsea a week ago despite only being 1 year into his 3 year contract of a club that took a massive chance giving him his first managerial job

Or that he added to the age of the squad by signing 2 players 28 & over for a lot of money with potentially little to no resale value (for Derby anyway, Waghorn is their 4th most expensive signing ever and scored only 9 league goals),

and extended contracts of over 30's ,

Oh & and relied heavily on young loans from other teams & his 38 year old mate with no resale value,

and has let contracts expire at the end of the season....

oh and failed to get them up..

But it's ok because it's Lampard and his dream job...

12 months ago he said this : https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/frank-lampard-joins-the-rams-as-new-manager

Frank Lampard said: “I’m excited to be making my first move into management with a club with such huge tradition and history.

“I have spent considerable time discussing the role and the club’s objectives with the Chairman Mel Morris CBE and the board. We want to build on the club’s top six finish in the Championship last season, while at the same time bringing through some of the excellent youth and Academy talent we have at Pride Park.

“This is my first job as a manager but I’ve been working towards this for a long time. I’ve worked closely with some of the best coaches in the game and I’m confident in my own abilities and those of the team around me.

“I know it won’t be easy – managing a football team never is – but I’m here to work hard. I’m really looking forward to getting started and to the challenge ahead."

All you need to do is compare the reactions of both sets of fans to the respective departures instead of the flawed comparison of Villa fans' reactions to the departure of someone who was their most recent former manager to one by someone who isn't even on their radar from a club that's even moreso.

Are Wednesday fans wrong to be incensed by Bruce's departure? Were Derby fans wrong to thank Lampard and wish him well with no grudge? Incidentally both sets of fans' opinions line up with the reaction of the Villa fans you seem to be criticizing here which is weird.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Well considering he has managed 1 team and left 1 year into his 3 year contract i would say the answer to your first question is yes..

Frank Lampard isn’t Steve Bruce so that obviously doesn’t count. Duh 🙄 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

For what it is worth (to you) I slated him and said it was a bad decision for both teams, and for Lampard. However if you look at the way it was handled by Lampard and Chelsea (respectfully and cleanly) vs Bruce and Newcastle...... there is little to compare. Then again, Lampard hasn't spent his managerial career banging on about Loyalty and making Derby wait whilst he watched the cricket instead of sorting them out during the transfer window.

If Lampard continues his career in the same way that Bruce has managed his own, then yes, he will deservedly get the stick that Bruce (deservedly) gets and the second question will no longer be debatable - but I suspect he wont.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

frank Lampard to Chelsea is not the same as steve bruce leaving Sheffield wednesday

Only in that Lampard didn't resign.  Otherwise, it's pretty much exactly the same, isn't it?

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I'd feel pretty pissed off about Bruce if I was a SW fan. But given the lack of loyalty routinely shown to managers by their clubs, it seems a little unfair to criticize a manager for leaving when a better opportunity comes along.

As I said earlier, I can't think of a single manager who has rejected the chance to manage at a "bigger" club when the opportunity has arisen.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah so there was compensation agreed. So he did make sure Sheff wed weren’t left with nothing.

But- but- no class

I doubt Bruce personally made sure that Sheff Wed had compensation :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Only in that Lampard didn't resign.  Otherwise, it's pretty much exactly the same, isn't it?

lampard given a chance with his 1st job at derby, saw out the season there, got them to the playoffs fell short, kept his reputation in tact

bruce failed at villa, sacked, given a chance to redeem himself at Wednesday, given his months holiday assuming because the owners saw that the focus is on this season, his first full season in charge, he walks out

Sheffield Wednesday have basically lost 7 months, appointing Bruce was a complete waste of time, derby have lost nothing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

lampard given a chance with his 1st job at derby, saw out the season there, got them to the playoffs fell short, kept his reputation in tact

bruce failed at villa, sacked, given a chance to redeem himself at Wednesday, given his months holiday assuming because the owners saw that the focus is on this season, his first full season in charge, he walks out

Sheffield Wednesday have basically lost 7 months, appointing Bruce was a complete waste of time, derby have lost nothing

You're putting in time constraints to suit the narrative, though.

Lampard was given a chance at Derby, did well and progressed the club whilst utilising loans effectively.  Dream job came along the summer after he was appointed, he left.  Derby have to rebuild.
Bruce was given a chance at Sheff Wed, did well and progressed the club.  Dream job came along the summer after he was appointed, he left.  Sheff Wed have to recruit a new manager.

Aside from "Steve Bruce is a word removed and Frank Lampard isn't" - and Bruce resigning - there really isn't any massive difference between what's happened.  Unless you're saying that it's more acceptable for managers in their first jobs to jump ship early, but more experienced managers should stick around?  Which, to me, is the wrong way round tbh.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I doubt Bruce personally made sure that Sheff Wed had compensation :D 

No but he was getting slated for resigning which would mean Sheff Wed wouldn’t get compensation. 

Which now appears to be untrue

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

As I said earlier, I can't think of a single manager who has rejected the chance to manage at a "bigger" club when the opportunity has arisen.

Exactly. The insinuation that other managers wouldn’t leave Sheffield Wednesday on the championship to manage Newcastle in the premier league is hilarious. 

I’d guess almost every other manager on the championship would. 

In fact I’d wager a handful in the premier league would too. 

Â