Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The point I’m making is that certain villa fans are reacting far more negatively to this than most because they hate Steve Bruce. It seems to be admitted by most in here that actually they don’t think he should have turned down the job, they’re just annoyed by how bruce is portrayed in the media. 

On one hand you have fans of some clubs who feel "wronged" by Bruce, and dislike him as a result. On the other you have people in the media, who probably know him personally, who portray him in a good way. I wonder of the 2 sets of people has a more accurate idea of who the man is?

Also, surely being annoyed is a positive reflection on him as a manager? If Remi Garde said Villa fans are shit, we're the worst club in the World and walked out, I'd have been delighted.

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

On one hand you have fans of some clubs who feel "wronged" by Bruce, and dislike him as a result. On the other you have people in the media, who probably know him personally, who portray him in a good way. I wonder of the 2 sets of people has a more accurate idea of who the man is?

Also, surely being annoyed is a positive reflection on him as a manager? If Remi Garde said Villa fans are shit, we're the worst club in the World and walked out, I'd have been delighted.

Exactly, love the fact that some people are using Sheff Weds' fans' reactions as validation of their own focused opinions when the two couldn't be more different.

Wednesday fans are angry as they didn't want him to leave.

Villa fans were (and in some cases, still are) angry that he didn't want to leave.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah so there was compensation agreed. So he did make sure Sheff wed weren’t left with nothing.

But- but- no class

I think you'll find Sheffield wed were the last thing on his mind as he walked out of the exit door?

please don't take this personal - I do not mean it this way  but have you followed football for very long?

The reason I ask this question is because Bruce does have form for this type of thing.

I'm afraid S Bruce esquire thinks of himself only imo 

I had a look on a Trammere forum yesterday to see what they thought of loaning in Hepburn-Murphy, and even on there there was a thread titled 'Steve Bruce has no shame', and you'll find similar threads on lots of other forums of differnt clubs. It's not just Villa fans who think that Bruce is in the wrong over the way he's treated Wednesday, it's pretty much fans of every club, and what he has done isn't something that any other manager would either. Also Wednesday fans are angry with Bruce because of the way he conducted himself, if his move to Newcastle fell through, they wouldn't want him back, they see him as a 'judas'.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. Wednesday fans have a right to be angry. I’d be angry if our manager had just left in pre season. That’s being a football fan. 

But we’re not wednesday fans. And nobody is saying it’s a nice thing he’s done and his nose is totally clean. All people are saying is that any other manager would have done the same thing and he can’t really be blamed for taking a bigger job. I don’t know what other fans takes on it you’ve seen but any I’ve seen are mostly a shrug of the shoulders and why wouldn’t he go to Newcastle?

The point I’m making is that certain villa fans are reacting far more negatively to this than most because they hate Steve Bruce. It seems to be admitted by most in here that actually they don’t think he should have turned down the job, they’re just annoyed by how bruce is portrayed in the media. 

Which like I said basically boils down to “we don’t like him so we’re going to be harsher about these things”

which is fine. That’s their prerogative. But other posters have every right to point out that that’s what’s happening and how that in itself is pretty **** weird. 

We're not Wednesday fans, but we're also not random fans that have no association to Bruce. He's our most recent manager. This just vindicates what a lot of people already felt about him. He's not doing this to us, but it could have easily been us.

I mean I get that most managers would have taken the job, but I don't think that is what's in contention here. If it was that simple, like I say, Wednesday fans wouldn't be so incensed. It's obviously more than that. Lampard, Potter...they both did exactly what Bruce did on the face of it. If it were as simple as just jumping ship, why the discrepancy in the fans' reactions? No ill will between those fans and their former managers, but Wednesday fans will likely hate Bruce more than us for the rest of time. 

It's because of the way he handled it. Wednesday fans feel he disrespected the club. All I'm seeing on VT is people reiterating that he's an asshole. "Any other manager would have taken the job" is just a weird defence of him. Sure that's true, but he's still an asshole.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I had a look on a Trammere forum yesterday to see what they thought of loaning in Hepburn-Murphy, and even on there there was a thread titled 'Steve Bruce has no shame', and you'll find similar threads on lots of other forums of differnt clubs. It's not just Villa fans who think that Bruce is in the wrong over the way he's treated Wednesday, it's pretty much fans of every club, and what he has done isn't something that any other manager would either. Also Wednesday fans are angry with Bruce because of the way he conducted himself, if his move to Newcastle fell through, they wouldn't want him back, they see him as a 'judas'.

Okay cool, well I work in an office of 100+ people, roughly 50% of them are football fans of various clubs nationally and not a single one of them thought anything of it so I refute your claim that "pretty much fans of every club" think the same way you do.

17 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

They are probably more annoyed that their proud club ( Wednesday is a proper football club ) have been treated so shabbily by this guy and his motley crew - especially given how they waited for him. Imo 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

We're not Wednesday fans, but we're also not random fans that have no association to Bruce. He's our most recent manager. This just vindicates what a lot of people already felt about him. He's not doing this to us, but it could have easily been us.

I mean I get that most managers would have taken the job, but I don't think that is what's in contention here. If it was that simple, like I say, Wednesday fans wouldn't be so incensed. It's obviously more than that. Lampard, Potter...they both did exactly what Bruce did on the face of it. If it were as simple as just jumping ship, why the discrepancy in the fans' reactions? No ill will between those fans and their former managers, but Wednesday fans will likely hate Bruce more than us for the rest of time. 

It's because of the way he handled it. Wednesday fans feel he disrespected the club. All I'm seeing on VT is people reiterating that he's an asshole. "Any other manager would have taken the job" is just a weird defence of him. Sure that's true, but he's still an asshole.

How is it a "weird defence of him" when you then immediately accept it to be a true statement?!

14 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm utterly, utterly astounded by the defence of him on here. I just don't understand WHY people are spending their time on a football forum defending a man the rest of football is berating. It makes no sense whatsoever. To quote a poster above - "its a bit wierd"

ONLY Villa fans could do this. All the threads on other club sites, including the one he is going to are unanimous. Yet on here we are arguing with each other as to whether criticism of Steve Bruce is justified. It boggles the mind. 

EDIT: for some reason quoted the wrong post. Now corrected

Edited by TheStagMan

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay cool, well I work in an office of 100+ people, roughly 50% of them are football fans of various clubs nationally and not a single one of them thought anything of it so I refute your claim that "pretty much fans of every club" think the same way you do.

I don't think 100 + in your office is the benchmark tbh with you - I reckon a straw poll nationally would view it as a  pretty sh@t thing to do to a club & and don't forget he has form - how can you not see this ? 

I really don't understand why you constantly champion the corner of the man? 

Its your opinion I guess and I acknowledge your right to it in all fairness - I do however think it's odd imo 

It's like if someone found their dream home and immediately sold their current home to buy it. On the face of it, yeah anybody would do the same if the opportunity arose.

Except when this person sold their home, they evicted the current tenants of the home with zero notice and put them on the street.

When people point out "wow, they're such an asshole for doing that"..."yeah but anybody would have sold their home to buy that house" is not a defence at all. 

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I don't think 100 + in your office is the benchmark tbh with you - I reckon a straw poll nationally would view it as a  pretty sh@t thing to do to a club & and don't forget he has form - how can you not see this ? 

I really don't understand why you constantly champion the corner of the man? 

Its your opinion I guess and I acknowledge your right to it in all fairness - I do however think it's odd imo 

I just don't see it as being any worse than anything else that happens in football these days - i.e. I don't see the need to single it/him out beyond the fact that certain people cannot contain their contempt for the man based on what they think they know.

It's shit, it was shit when O'Neill did it to us (in far worse circumstances I'll add), it's shit that Neymar has told PSG he wants out, it's shit that Nakamba is on strike trying to force a move.

I just don't see the need for the hyperbole.

You see, it's possible to consider something shit without going OTT to make a point.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's like if someone found their dream home and immediately sold their current home to buy it. On the face of it, yeah anybody would do the same if the opportunity arose.

Except when this person sold their home, they evicted the current tenants of the home with zero notice and put them on the street.

When people point out "wow, they're such an asshole for doing that"..."yeah but anybody would have sold their home to buy that house" is not a defence at all. 

Ah right, so the great martyr that you are - you would not buy your 'dream house' if it meant having to evict some tenants?

Unless you're a saint - which I'm pretty sure you aint, I call BS

Was a fan interview when he was blues manager just after was on his 4th club in 14 months. 

He walked out of it because he kept getting asked if he was writing a tour book of the UK and if he knew any good estate agents. Hope I can find it online 😂

• Like 1

I just don't see it as being any worse than anything else that happens in football these days - i.e. I don't see the need to single it/him out beyond the fact that certain people cannot contain their contempt for the man based on what they think they know.

It's shit, it was shit when O'Neill did it to us (in far worse circumstances I'll add), it's shit that Neymar has told PSG he wants out, it's shit that Nakamba is on strike trying to force a move.

I just don't see the need for the hyperbole.

You see, it's possible to consider something shit without going OTT to make a point.

Wow ok - if you say so. I would add this is one of your finer points in the art of posting. Imo 

Ah right, so the great martyr that you are - you would not buy your 'dream house' if it meant having to evict some tenants?

Unless you're a saint - which I'm pretty sure you aint, I call BS

Well damn, I didn't think to consider there might be some moral disagreements with that hypothetical scenario. Just assume for arguments sake that this situation takes place in a world where evicting tenants with no notice is universally considered a dick move, since in this world it evidently isn't.

Â