Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Guys, look! Stevo definitely thinks Bruce is marriage material.

Who wouldn't?!

CBqCKhxUgAEJ6nw.jpg

That's not a beer gut, it's a full tank for a sex machine!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Meanwhile Sean Dyche and Burnley are still going strong with his so called outdated football. And i don't see them getting relegated anytime soon.

What has Dyche got to do with it? He comes across as far more in touch with the modern game than Bruce.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What has Dyche got to do with it? He comes across as far more in touch with the modern game than Bruce.

I'm talking about the style of football.

Against Man City they put 11 men behind the ball going for a 0-0 draw. How is that different to how Bruce sets his team up against the bigger sides? Regardless how you rate Dyche or Bruce they are in the exact same mold.

Edited by villalad21

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think there’s a manager in the Championship who wouldn’t take the Newcastle job if offered it right now. 

But because Bruce takes it he’s a bad person. 

Like I said, it’s just funny now 😂

You could say exactly the same for the opposite view.

I don't think there's any managers, who if in the same situation, wouldn't be criticised for the lack of loyalty and the way to go about it. But as it's Bruce, it's not an issue. 

I think it's funny the fact some continue to wish to defend him, when it's now even more obvious the terrible job he did here and again showing his character in this move. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Against Man City they put 11 men behind the ball going for a 0-0 draw. How is that different to how Bruce sets his team up against the bigger sides? Regardless how you rate Dyche or Bruce they are in the exact same mold.

I disagree - Dyche is much more in touch with the modern game than Bruce could even hope to be - and I don't see how a game against Man City is a yardstick to make observation upon imo 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not sure what the fascination is anymore.

We have so much to look forward to and discuss with our own people and squad its a wonder we have time for anyone else.

Its just tickle tackle now.

I imagine a lot of it is that posters like yourself were unbearable with their posts when anyone dared to not believe Bruce was the right man for the job.

Edited by DCJonah

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I suspect it is reputation - the supposed safe pair of hands narrative that the media keep pushing - my thoughts are that Ashley is probably just trying to keep them afloat in the prem until he can sell them and thinks Bruce is one of the managers that could achieve that (notably not first choice though). Couple of issues with that plan though:

1. Ashley hasn't been able to sell them so far - I guess asking too much? Laugh at Newcastle as we do, ultimately they are a big historic club with a good stadium and a large fanbase. Plenty of potential there - you would think someone would buy them.

2. Bruce has not managed in the prem for a number of years, things have moved on. In the Championship he has not been able to "work his magic" so the assumption that he will be able to keep them up in the prem is flawed at best. 

Saw a Newcastle fan on twitter talking about it. 

Out of all managers in the history of the premier league to manage 250 or more games. Bruce has the lowest win percentage. 

Again it seems his media pals support him with certain narratives. Safe pair of hands is not what he has been in the premier league.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t need to. I wrote them. If you read any of them you’ll see I wanted him gone as soon as the play off final finished and think he did a pretty average job overall. 

Whats hypocritical about it? Has he been saying that managers shouldn’t leave their clubs to take better jobs or something?

If you say so - but with due respect you have certainly fooled me with many of your posts defending Bruce in the past.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

You could say exactly the same for the opposite view.

I don't think there's any managers, who if in the same situation, wouldn't be criticised for the lack of loyalty and the way to go about it. But as it's Bruce, it's not an issue. 

I think it's funny the fact some continue to wish to defend him, when it's now even more obvious the terrible job he did here and again showing his character in this move. 

I don’t think they would though. That’s my point. I think if any other manager had taken it nobody on VillaTalk would bat an eyelid. As it’s a totally understandable thing to do. Like I said if Nathan Jones was taking this job, despite only taking over at stoke midway through last season, I don’t think anyone on here would care. It’s a huge job and is a massive step up from the championship  it would be crazy to turn it down.

And this has nothing to do with the job Bruce did with us which was not good. I think the difference is some people manage to separate the job he did for us from everything else he does. Whereas as others seem to think BECAUSE he did a bad job for us that everything else he does is bad too. 

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think they would though. That’s my point. I think if any other manager had taken it nobody on VillaTalk would bat an eyelid. As it’s a totally understandable thing to do. Like I said if Nathan Jones was taking this job, despite only taking over at stoke midway through last season, I don’t think anyone on here would care. It’s a huge job and is a massive step up from the championship  it would be crazy to turn it down.

And this has nothing to do with the job Bruce did with us which was not good. I think the difference is some people manage to separate the job he did for us from everything else he does. Whereas as others seem to think BECAUSE he did a bad job for us that everything else he does is bad too. 

Quite frankly to leave Wednesday under these circumstances is not the right thing to do imo.

I'm struggling somewhat to understand how you might perceive this otherwise ? 

And yes you are correct it's nothing at all to do with the job he did here, and I think your're the only suggesting this.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Because football tactics and management are about more than just how defensive a manager is willing to be.

Also, one of Bruce's big problems was that we were defensive even in home games where we were heavy favourites.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think this is just a Bruce issue though. Any former players and managers will have a higher profile on forums like this. 

Bruce will get called out on certain things more than other managers because he’s our former manager. 

As well as being our most recent former manager, he’s also been more “relevant” to us since leaving us, as he’s managed a championship club who, at a push, could have been a play off rival, and is now on course to manage a potential relegation rival.

Added to that we’ve been modifying a squad he had a sizeable involvement with assembling. He’s much more noteworthy than, say, Paul Lambert. For now, anyway.

All this picking over the bones isn’t unique to us. Have a look at Sunderland’s forum, they’re regularly talking about Bruce too and it’s been years since he left them. If you’re keen for more (and I can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t be), several of the Bruce threads on Sheffield Wednesday’s forum make for interesting reading. You have about 6 or 7 threads to choose from.

It’s not a unique thought but I think Bruce is pulled up by supporters for more things than perhaps other managers are because of the view that he gets a generally easy (easier) time in the press.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Bruce will get called out on certain things more than other managers because he’s our former manager. 

As well as being our most recent former manager, he’s also been more “relevant” to us since leaving us, as he’s managed a championship club who, at a push, could have been a play off rival, and is now on course to manage a potential relegation rival.

Added to that we’ve been modifying a squad he had a sizeable involvement with assembling. He’s much more noteworthy than, say, Paul Lambert. For now, anyway.

All this picking over the bones isn’t unique to us. Have a look at Sunderland’s forum, they’re regularly talking about Bruce too and it’s been years since he left them. If you’re keen for more (and I can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t be), several of the Bruce threads on Sheffield Wednesday’s forum make for interesting reading. You have about 6 or 7 threads to choose from.

It’s not a unique thought but I think Bruce is pulled up by supporters for more things than perhaps other managers are because of the view that he gets a generally easy (easier) time in the press.

This is it.

He rubs fans the wrong way because he's made out to be something he's not and has pals in the press who help with this spin. Perfect example is the guy who said we were protesting outside the gates with pitchforks when Bruce was announced. Brazen lies just to preserve the myth that is Steve Bruce.

Nothing wrong with taking another job on the face of it, but for Steve Bruce, the super loyal, super nice and unfairly treated guy to do so is grating. Wednesday even gave him the good grace of skipping January, a typically crucial month, to watch golf and his comments on how they're handling the negotiations with Newcastle just lack the class he's supposedly renowned for.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I imagine a lot of it is that posters like yourself were unbearable with their posts when anyone dared to not believe Bruce was the right man for the job.

That is total hyperbole......was the thought of someone disagreeing with you the unbearable bit?....was the failure to be encouraged by his football style( which even his defenders like me will agree was not to my liking) an extended failure to identify anything positive with the guy?

It was never a  discussion of being the right man for the job.....it was a case from me of defending aspects of a current manager from  biased unfair criticism and redressing the balance when nothing good was ever said about him.....it was not a case of directly promoting him as the right man for the job AT ALL........The sheer disdain for the man blinded your sense of the defending arguments and you interpreted that as promoting the man.

Dean Smith is by far the better option, but that is not really the point though is it.....You have never to my recollection made a single positive remark about the guy, I don't think there is a man living that doesn't have some redeeming features....He managed 24 wins in a season and you were unable to give the guy one miserly bit of credit for anything.

Its called "one eyed" in my book

but my post was referring to....it has been done to death......and we have more interesting things to talk about now.....unless you just love regurgitating the same old drivel, stop wallowing in negativity,

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Again it seems his media pals support him with certain narratives.

Funny you should say that.

Former Newcastle winger Chris Waddle believes managing the Magpies would represent the biggest challenge of Steve Bruce's 21-year managerial career if he leaves Sheffield Wednesday to move to St James' Park.(Newcastle Chronicle)

Biggest Challenge of his career!  :crylaugh::crylaugh:

His biggest was with us and he fell at the last hurdle, more or less slagged the club off as a sinking ship and was ready to walk..  does a massive U turn when he see's new owners and practically begs for his job and yet makes a complete arse of it anyway.

Yet his media buddies want to call managing a club that has won f*** all in it's history the biggest of SB managerial career then it proves the point exactly.

Happy to ignore his failures but back him the minute he has a pop at us.  Pure Hilarity.

We have GFY money and  Pep Barrdiola , Barrlo Ancelotti, Barrsene Wenger , Barrigo Sacchi , Ottbarr Hitzfeld , Barrcello Lippi (Delete as required) because of the slob on the Tyne's ineptitude.

Image result for for that we thank you tosh

16 hours ago, Mantis said:

Because football tactics and management are about more than just how defensive a manager is willing to be.

Also, one of Bruce's big problems was that we were defensive even in home games where we were heavy favourites.

I think that's fair criticism.....and criticism of that nature is honest.

I don't think he did a bad job with us, and I don't think he did a good job either....just a steadying job and in the whole scheme of things of where we come from in previous seasons, we needed that.He made some decent signings which strengthened the club, working for very dubious owners and a sparse support structure( At one point a young Ho was running things day to day.)....but it was hard to see any long term incremental progress, it was always going to plateau for me with SB's style. However I could not see at the time who was going to give us what we are experiencing now and I was aware also that it could have been worse, as we had experienced in past seasons....I confess I found myself in Limbo until the cabbage arrived.

Dean is showing us a whole different ball game....but I would like to bet Dean himself would admit that he was much happier taking over from SB than taking over from RDM....that is my point.

Edited by TRO

Â