Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Little bit of pointless trivia -

Saturday's loss at Hillsborough means the 58-year-old becomes the first manager to lose a Football League fixture in charge of both teams in a single season since Paul Cook [Accrington Stanley and Chesterfield] during 2012-13.

BBC link

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Who's he got as coaches there? Can't be the same as he had here, if he's to be a success at Wednesday it will rest on his coaching staff for me. Comparing what the last regime served up for us and what we have seen in more than half of the games sinc Bruce has gone, it's clear the coaching is different class now. Bruce never got the right coaching staff together for us by the looks of it, that's not to say he won't at Wednesday though. They looked good second half, still very much pump it into the corners and get a cross over if you can and see what happens, but still, about the sort of level we hit at our best with Bruce in charge (Apart from the Wolves anomaly). 

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Who's he got as coaches there? Can't be the same as he had here, if he's to be a success at Wednesday it will rest on his coaching staff for me. Comparing what the last regime served up for us and what we have seen in more than half of the games sinc Bruce has gone, it's clear the coaching is different class now. Bruce never got the right coaching staff together for us 

He's got agnew and clemence who he also had here

• Like 1

Well Martin O'Neill took Keane with him after the disaster with ROI so it isn't surprisingly Bruce has took his failures too.

The words "jobs for the boys" springs to mind. Pulis, Fat Sam, O'Neill, Bruce, Mcleish, Lambert, Pardew, Mclaren. Just a bunch of absoute piss takers, can't wait for them to **** off.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

There's an element of this with some managers, but I think it's pretty harsh on Bruce personally.  Steadied the club, then took us to a playoff final.  Has the best win ratio of any of our managers for two decades.  Did it work out?  No.  Not exactly a failure though.

Unsurprising to see him doing well at Sheff Wed and, to be fair, they outplayed us yesterday.

Hang on, that's far too reasonable an overview. 

You forgot to mention kebabs, cabbages, sauces, dinosaur, there or thereabouts....... 

They played well, and I have to give Bruce credit. He has made Sheffield Wednesday competitive and we were lucky to walk away with the win there.

BUT, you could see the difference between Bruce and Dean with the teams. Whenever Wednesday's defenders were under pressure, they just booted it deep, and hoped something would happen. With Dean's team, we have Mings and Hause constantly moving with the ball, and trying to pass it out of the back. 

3 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

He's got agnew and clemence who he also had here

Thought I recognised Agnew actually in one photo I saw today, interesting to see how they start next season then.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

There's an element of this with some managers, but I think it's pretty harsh on Bruce personally.  Steadied the club, then took us to a playoff final.  Has the best win ratio of any of our managers for two decades.  Did it work out?  No.  Not exactly a failure though.

Unsurprising to see him doing well at Sheff Wed and, to be fair, they outplayed us yesterday.

They outplayed us in the second half yesterday, we were the better team at a canter in teh first half.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Thought I recognised Agnew actually in one photo I saw today, interesting to see how they start next season then.

I don't know why he needed so many assistants while he was at villa, he also had CalderWood who is managing Cambridge now

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I agree with you about steadying the ship but this doesn't really mean much given that we're in a weaker league.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I agree with you about steadying the ship but this doesn't really mean much given that we're in a weaker league.

He has a better win ratio than our current manager too, FWIW. 

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

So what? Without severe caveats, which you're well aware of, that statement is utterly pointless.

17 minutes ago, sne said:

And a worse points per game average.

Yeah we haven't lost many under Smith, just drawn a lot. All but one of them score draws too.

There was a period under Bruce around this time 2 years ago where we lost like 7 out of 8 games or something.

33 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

So what? Without severe caveats, which you're well aware of, that statement is utterly pointless.

It kind of shows he’s not a useless manager who just gets “jobs for the boys” though, doesn’t it?

Sheff Weds have a good team in fairness at this level when everyone's fit (and very expensive for the wage bill which is why they're FFP restricted).

Gary Hopper and Fletcher, both proven strikers at this level, Forresteri on the bench. Bannan is a good midfielder at this level. Westwood a steady keeper and seems Dom Iorfa has started well there after hardly playing for years at Wolves so similar to Hause for us.

The issue for the Dutch guy before was hardly any of these players were fit under him, yesterday was only Hopper's second game of the season, Forresteri did his ACL start of this season.

SB will get them in the mix for top 6 next season, hopefully we we'll be in a different league so just a passing interest in things involving him.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

We're happy with him...but speaking in relative terms, after the last incumbent we had I would have taken most anyone.

To be fair..I know exactly how Villa fans feel...I was the same when we went down...You HAVE to get back..."This isn't good enough, "..That isn't good enough"

Thats 2 bloody decades ago though lads...

Wednesday went down without parachute payments, there was no cushion, there was no longer any sort of "Automatic" right to get back.

Lets be honest...Ive stated on a thread in the Match thread...

Years ago when Wednesday and Villa were fighting it out in the 70's..in the "Old" 3rd division...You virtually knew one or the other, probably both would get back up..

Too big not to

Its a totally different kettle of fish these days...

West Ham ? 50'000 crowds...?..Do me a favour..its tourism, but its London..Its different

Man City?..I agree their fans stayed constant like Villa and Wednesday in their dark days..but THAT amount of money?..its different

I can remember Chelsea getting 16 or 17k..A lot less than Villa and Wednesday.

.Now?...sell outs....money , london ..tourism

So ..yea we have Steve Bruce...No doubt he'll get sacked outta impatience as it goes wrong next season, and we hope for some miraculous appointment..cos it will have to be that..We haven't the money, cos its not funded by gates anymore..its not about passion, its about cash.

The peripheral nature of the way  football fans are treated these days, does my head in...Chelsea away  in the cup the other month..Owls fans sell out...Then the fixtures moved to 6 pm..I've bought a ticket..I'm f.ooked ..last train home 9 pm...wife picks me up in Watford at 11 pm..I mean Jesus christ!...jumping through hoops for folk that can't even be bothered to attend!?

I'm a dinosaur I admit..and all me arguments might mean bugger all to most..but its not a level playing field..

Take yourselves..When Villa won the European cup with that shocking goal from Withe 😀..........................................only kiddin'

It wasn't sculpted by a financier who suddenly decided to inject millions in..It was ground out by ardent fans who turned up in numbers through years of crap in the 3rd division...who bankrolled the club when it was crap..thats a victory, thats fair , thats a level playing field..

US?????????????..Wednesday qualify for Europe...???..English clubs get sodding banned..don't get me started FFS!

I'm not a football fan...I'm a Wednesday fan..I would sit outside Hillsborough if you could guarantee me a win..in off an offside stray dog in the last minute ..honest

When I was a kid, and football was proper football  there was an old bloke who always stood in front of me on a crash barrier on the Eastbank..the most pessimistic bugger I ever saw...

When the teams trotted out, first game of a new hopeful season..he would say 

"Here they bloody come"..Like he had just been given a death sentence

I'm him now

er I know the feeling.....yes we won the European Cup against a very good Bayern Munich side and got half hours coverage on TV.....even cloughie said it was a disgrace, the coverage we had.

such is the media....outside London and the North West.....football don't exist according to them.

On 07/04/2019 at 18:31, Mantis said:

with a weaker team....its all relative.....weaker team in a weaker league.It balances itself out.

Edited by TRO

Â