Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Actually had to go and check who Sheff Weds have actually played so far under him as I certainly couldn't remember them playing Leeds off the pitch and getting a win v West Brom or Norwich recently.

They've had a ridiculous easy run.

First game for SB was a win at Ipswich who we also beat recently.

He then did what he did with us in August and couldn't beat Reading at home, 0-0.

Then went to Millwall and drew 0-0 and then drew 2-2 at Rotherham with 101st minute goal.

4 of the bottom 6 in his first four games!!! No way SB is stupid or whatever as I'm sure he had a quick look at the fixtures when he agreed to take over on Feb 1st....

Last two wins more impressive but would be more impressed if they went away and did that, we still beat Swansea home and away under DS after all.

In April they play us, Forest and Leeds and Norwich away so imagine that will kill off any faint hopes of top 6.

Well he beat Brentford.....more than he could with us....so perhaps it is the players.

12 hours ago, TRO said:

That's not what Dean Smith said when he took over?....it might look like it now.

He actually praise the talent in the squad.

There is talent. 

There was also a mess or do you think Bruce used his funds well and left us with a solid squad?

12 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

he's averaging 2 points per game since he started. Keep anything like that up until the end of the season and they will be in the play offs.

Skybet currently have them at 150/1 to be promoted. Might be worth a soft £10 bet

Wow, we should have kept him. 

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Brentford have this mad hex over us...I did think we'd break the hoodoo with DS in charge but they thoroughly outplayed us yet again.

I don't believe in jinx's or hoodoo's, when it comes to football.

We used to have the supposed evil eye over Coventry until they came and turned us over at Villa Park....reason being they played better than us.

We proved in 1980-1982 hard work can take you much further than some will admit too.

those at the top now graft as a pre- requisite....i mean meaningful graft, not idle non- committal running.....that poses as graft.

On 27/02/2019 at 12:51, TRO said:

I don't believe in jinx's or hoodoo's, when it comes to football.

We used to have the supposed evil eye over Coventry until they came and turned us over at Villa Park....reason being they played better than us.

We proved in 1980-1982 hard work can take you much further than some will admit too.

those at the top now graft as a pre- requisite....i mean meaningful graft, not idle non- committal running.....that poses as graft.

I do.

Obviously Man. United, top side who many struggle against but mad how much we've struggled against them when you think we went I believe ten years unbeaten against Chelsea at VP who won plenty of titles in that era (1999-2000)

Growing up Leicester under O'Neill were a right nuisance. As soon as he left for Celtic we started beating them regularly.

Arsenal at Stoke would be another obviouse one, just two wins for Arsenal there in Stoke's 10 premier league seasons.

Football is so much played in the mind it's inevitable players will get it into their heads about teams they simply can't beat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I do.

Obviously Man. United, top side who many struggle against but mad how much we've struggled against them when you think we went I believe ten years unbeaten against Chelsea at VP who won plenty of titles in that era (1999-2000)

Growing up Leicester under O'Neill were a right nuisance. As soon as he left for Celtic we started beating them regularly.

Arsenal at Stoke would be another obviouse one, just two wins for Arsenal there in Stoke's 10 premier league seasons.

Football is so much played in the mind it's inevitable players will get it into their heads about teams they simply can't beat.

or get it in to their ribs.....not many like that.

On 27/02/2019 at 12:47, DCJonah said:

There is talent. 

There was also a mess or do you think Bruce used his funds well and left us with a solid squad?

No I think he made some mistakes..costly ones.

34 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Big piece in the papers today about Steve battling cancer along with the tragedy on losing his parents. He called the last 12 months as the worst year of his life.

Feel sorry for him, it's a shame he didn't get us up as this might have been a bit of a silver lining to the awful time he faced.

Yeah but he should have started the Sheffield Wednesday job in January and not had a break! AAArrgrhghglhjkhkjhkjknkn!

angry-mob.jpg

• Like 3

As I've just said elsewhere....genuinely shocked he had cancer while he was managing us (thought it would've been 2016 when he was out of the game for a few months and might've explained him suddenly resigning from Hull before the start of the season).

Whatever you think of his managerial ability, him still turning up to manage for the games during the period he had deserves lots of respect. I assume they thankfully caught it at a very early stage which shows a benefit of working in sport with all the regular testing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Big piece in the papers today about Steve battling cancer along with the tragedy on losing his parents. He called the last 12 months as the worst year of his life.

Feel sorry for him, it's a shame he didn't get us up as this might have been a bit of a silver lining to the awful time he faced.

Terrible news for the guy.

I always felt he loved it with us.....sorry Blue noses out there.

He really doesn't like us does he...

"You're always bitter and disappointed when you lose a job," Bruce admitted during an interview with Sky Sports. "I thought it was a bit unfair after getting to a play-off final that I lost my job after 11 games [of the next season]. But I'm not going to sit here and think it's great because we're above Aston Villa.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-bruce-hits-out-unfair-15920763

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He hasn't said anything in that interview which gives the impression that hes doesn't like us.

It's fine that in his opinion he felt he wasn't given enough time.  He said he's NOT thinking "Great, we're above Villa". He even said "I've been given ANOTHER wonderful job" - meaning maybe he thinks we were a wonderful job. 

The only thing he has said is about the fans, and to be fair I agree with him, we're thick as shit.. throwing a cabbage ffs.. LOL BANTZ

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You can't throw all the fans under the carpet because one fan throws cabbage.

That's ridicilous

I've not based my opinions on one fan throwing an cabbage, that was an example. 

My opinions are of going to games of all sorts of teams (big and small), having season tickets in the Holte and the North, sitting in the DE and the Trinity.  Away games bring out the worst. 

39 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Not really sure that quote reflects that he doesn't like us. He just said he thought it was unfair he was sacked, which we might not agree with but it's hardly absurd that a manager thinks that about his own sacking, and that he's not taking pleasure in Sheff Wed being above Villa.

Doing well. Similar(ish) to the start of his time here, first 12 games were 7 wins, 3 draws, 2 defeats. 

A lot of games against lower half teams though. Draws against a Derby side who are a bit out of sorts and another against Sheff United are the exceptions I think? Maybe the win against Brentford too (he managed it then, didn’t he?). Let’s see how they get on in April.

Still, can only play who’s in front of you, so fair’s fair. Not exactly losing sleep at the thought we should have kept him though. He could win every game for the rest of the season and it wouldn’t change his poor start to this season.

On 05/03/2019 at 11:49, villalad21 said:

You can't throw all the fans under the carpet because one fan throws cabbage.

That's ridicilous

Like Paul Mitchell, you mean....idiots are not always consigned to one club.

No you can't....but we all have some very debatable educated souls in our fan bases, don't you think?

However, What a start SB is having.

Edited by TRO

Â