Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

When we beat Man utd in the league cup final 1991 Yorkshire television ..cut short  the post match celebrations t and went over to

"War of the monster trucks"...............Honest

I was on me way home from Wembley..totally p *ssed...

staggered in the door ..The wife said..."You're not going to like this"

I said "You forgot to tape it didn't you..You had strict instructions..Win..save the tape ..lose...just delete the sodding thing"

"I taped it....but you aren't going to be happy"

So you know when youve had a few and you sorta watch it through one eye..cos its somehow easier?..I dunno the mechanics of the thing...but you do

I watch it...Sheridan scores for Wednesday..then its all about holding on...We do..The ref blows the whistle....then.....

Theres just this big red  f.ook off truck running over..some other trucks....I scream "What in the name of f.............."

The wife shouts from upstairs 

"Told ya!"

funny...but disgusting at the same time.

• Like 2

On 07/04/2019 at 14:55, bannedfromHandV said:

Hang on, that's far too reasonable an overview. 

You forgot to mention kebabs, cabbages, sauces, dinosaur, there or thereabouts....... 

with wor boots on.

1 hour ago, ASOWL said:

We're happy with him...but speaking in relative terms, after the last incumbent we had I would have taken most anyone.

To be fair..I know exactly how Villa fans feel...I was the same when we went down...You HAVE to get back..."This isn't good enough, "..That isn't good enough"

Thats 2 bloody decades ago though lads...

Wednesday went down without parachute payments, there was no cushion, there was no longer any sort of "Automatic" right to get back.

Lets be honest...Ive stated on a thread in the Match thread...

Years ago when Wednesday and Villa were fighting it out in the 70's..in the "Old" 3rd division...You virtually knew one or the other, probably both would get back up..

Too big not to

Its a totally different kettle of fish these days...

West Ham ? 50'000 crowds...?..Do me a favour..its tourism, but its London..Its different

Man City?..I agree their fans stayed constant like Villa and Wednesday in their dark days..but THAT amount of money?..its different

I can remember Chelsea getting 16 or 17k..A lot less than Villa and Wednesday.

.Now?...sell outs....money , london ..tourism

So ..yea we have Steve Bruce...No doubt he'll get sacked outta impatience as it goes wrong next season, and we hope for some miraculous appointment..cos it will have to be that..We haven't the money, cos its not funded by gates anymore..its not about passion, its about cash.

The peripheral nature of the way  football fans are treated these days, does my head in...Chelsea away  in the cup the other month..Owls fans sell out...Then the fixtures moved to 6 pm..I've bought a ticket..I'm f.ooked ..last train home 9 pm...wife picks me up in Watford at 11 pm..I mean Jesus christ!...jumping through hoops for folk that can't even be bothered to attend!?

I'm a dinosaur I admit..and all me arguments might mean bugger all to most..but its not a level playing field..

Take yourselves..When Villa won the European cup with that shocking goal from Withe 😀..........................................only kiddin'

It wasn't sculpted by a financier who suddenly decided to inject millions in..It was ground out by ardent fans who turned up in numbers through years of crap in the 3rd division...who bankrolled the club when it was crap..thats a victory, thats fair , thats a level playing field..

US?????????????..Wednesday qualify for Europe...???..English clubs get sodding banned..don't get me started FFS!

I'm not a football fan...I'm a Wednesday fan..I would sit outside Hillsborough if you could guarantee me a win..in off an offside stray dog in the last minute ..honest

When I was a kid, and football was proper football  there was an old bloke who always stood in front of me on a crash barrier on the Eastbank..the most pessimistic bugger I ever saw...

When the teams trotted out, first game of a new hopeful season..he would say 

"Here they bloody come"..Like he had just been given a death sentence

I'm him now

I always have a fondness for Sheffield Wednesday. Hillsborough was always one of the great football stadiums. FA Cup Semi-finals were always held at Villa Park and Hillsborough. the Liverpool tragedy sadly changed all that. When we beat Wednesday to gain promotion back to the top flight. I felt this club also belong in the big time. Seems sad now that the London clubs are getting the big crowds with all their tourist support. The North West Clubs have their tourists fans as well but the likes of Man U, Liverpool and Everton were always big clubs with large fan bases. Villa were well ahead of London clubs in the late 70s, 80s. 

3 hours ago, ASOWL said:

We're happy with him...

When the teams trotted out, first game of a new hopeful season..he would say 

"Here they bloody come"..Like he had just been given a death sentence

I'm him now

What a **** post this is :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

with a weaker team....its all relative.....weaker team in a weaker league.It balances itself out.

Well the team Bruce had relative to the Championship was stronger than the team most recent past managers had relative to the rest of the Premier League.

• Like 2

On 07/04/2019 at 13:40, bobzy said:

There's an element of this with some managers, but I think it's pretty harsh on Bruce personally.  Steadied the club, then took us to a playoff final.  Has the best win ratio of any of our managers for two decades.  Did it work out?  No.  Not exactly a failure though.

Unsurprising to see him doing well at Sheff Wed and, to be fair, they outplayed us yesterday.

He was hired to get us up and failed. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

Well the team Bruce had relative to the Championship was stronger than the team most recent past managers had relative to the rest of the Premier League.

Thats an opinion.....I am not so sure he did....unless of course you are alluding to him not getting the best out of them?.....I accept we have more intensity with Dean and a better brand of football.

Anyway, I am happier with the football Dean is offering.....still a way to go of course.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So if Pepe or Jurgen don't win the league, they have failed?

seems a bít narrow minded to me.

I accept that managers are hired to TRY and win the league or promotion, but as there are no guarantee's in football, it seems a bit harsh to me, to describe it as you did.

Anyway....Dean is giving us a better brand of football, so we are all happy.....just hope he can get us over the line.....but if he doesn't i hope we stick with him, to try further.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

So if Pepe or Jurgen don't win the league, they have failed?

seems a bít narrow minded to me.

yes its true though especially with both sides budgets. I would say winning the league is bare minimum these teams should be doing and not winning Champions LEague is even a failure

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yes its true though especially with both sides budgets. I would say winning the league is bare minimum these teams should be doing and not winning Champions LEague is even a failure

There's two of them though.

Aren't Liverpool having the best season in their history (pointswise)? Seems harsh to call Klopp a failure if they don't win the league just because Man City are unreal

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think you've read the original post - he may well have "failed" with us, it doesn't mean he just gets "jobs for the boys".  He's a decent manager, even if it didn't work out here.  Not in the same category as Pardew, Hughes, Moyes etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's two of them though.

Aren't Liverpool having the best season in their history (pointswise)? Seems harsh to call Klopp a failure if they don't win the league just because Man City are unreal

Zatman seems to absolutely hate Liverpool and won't give them any credit for anything ever, so you have to take any comment with a sizeable pinch of salt.  Klopp has done very well at the club.  Naturally, an element of success is actually winning trophies (see: anything to do with Spurs) but Liverpool are comfortably the second best team in England right now.

If that's failing in a job then it's one for the "Game's Gone" thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

but only one can do it.....even if they both spent a figure like 500 million....The budget guarantee's nothing, it just raises the odds of winning, you still have to spend wisely and blend those players in to a team.....many factors are still at play outside of the budget.

I think this view is tarnishing football....of course we all want to win, every club has that ambition, but we have to recognise progress as anything but failure.

I don't believe any team should expect to win the league, irrespective of their budget.....hope yes, expect No....

I think with the amount of factors at play, to expect to win the Premier League is sheer arrogance.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

In my humble opinion....Ridiculous.

4 hours ago, sne said:

And when Klopp leaves Plopp they'll likely not have a comically lopsided squad that will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Bloody Klopp, leaving Liverpool with one (injured) centre-back, and a slow midfielder as the pairing.

4 hours ago, sne said:

And when Klopp leaves Plopp they'll likely not have a comically lopsided squad that will have to be rebuilt from scratch.

Even though he didn't win any trophies, Klopp is easily their most successful manager since Rafa. Built a competitive squad and transformed them from perennial underachievers to genuine league and CL contenders. 

• Like 1

Not sure what klopp has to do with Bruce stabilising us with loans and unsustainable signings of old players on good wages ignoring our youth team before blowing the playoff final and destabilising us all the while playing shit football

Bruce failed make no doubt about it

If we had won the playoffs then the way he tried to get us up would be exposed for what it was

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure what klopp has to do with Bruce stabilising us with loans and unsustainable signings of old players on good wages ignoring our youth team before blowing the playoff final and destabilising us all the while playing shit football

Bruce failed make no doubt about it

If we had won the playoffs then the way he tried to get us up would be exposed for what it was

You're not looking at it with Bruce tinted spectacles.

Bruce brought in overpriced players on loans, then moaned when they had to go back - and to make sure it wasn't questioned, he blamed the fans for their expectations. Then he decided we only needed one fit centre-back - who was already playing with an injury, so he sold/loaned out other players and decided Bolasie would be good cover for the role, as well as 4 right-backs. The squad was incredibly unbalanced, but to make sure this was ignored he blamed the fans. This is all - of course - alongside having the most expensive team in the league, having spent 12m on Hogan for example, and failed to get promoted - so he blamed the fans expectations and got his media friends to suggest he did a wonderful **** job.

That's how it works!

• Like 3

Â