Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On the positive side, McGinn looked and sounded great today (heard first half on radio and watched the rest online) & we got another 3 points so I am keeping positive and hoping that lessons will be learned.

Looking forward to new Loan signings.

We aren't going to progress under him and that was clear last season.

Let's hope our players work some magic and the relegated sides from the Prem really mess up as that's our only chance. It speaks volumes that our scorers so far are 4 defenders and Thor.

3 minutes ago, Dick said:

Just calm down. Bruce has made mistakes, he also does things right. Both are acceptable. 

Playing Jedinak was an error.

Giving McGinn his debut was positive.

It was a poor performance

We won the game.

If you just choose the positives, it gives a skewed vision of the whole game. It is OK to criticise.

Nope, sorry.

You and many others are entirely negative about Steve Bruce to the extent that every single thing gets judged ridiculously harshly.  That's fine, that's your opinion - you don't want him as our manager and don't like his playing style.  However, there's no positives ever said about Bruce.  None.

Yet, constantly, there's just an endless barrage of negative drivel all over this forum about him.  It's in every thread.  It's absolutely not giving a balanced view at all (brilliant mentioning skewed vision as if yours isn't, lol).

(For what I actually think happened, we were OK.  Basically a 5 or 6/10 performance, as I said in the match thread.  We were the better side than Wigan but have plenty to work on.  Our midfield was bright and full of energy, even when Bjarnason messed up on a couple of occasions.  It probably should've been more comfortable than 3-2, but there we go.)

Just now, bobzy said:

Nope, sorry.

You and many others are entirely negative about Steve Bruce to the extent that every single thing gets judged ridiculously harshly.  That's fine, that's your opinion - you don't want him as our manager and don't like his playing style.  However, there's no positives ever said about Bruce.  None.

Yet, constantly, there's just an endless barrage of negative drivel all over this forum about him.  It's in every thread.  It's absolutely not giving a balanced view at all (brilliant mentioning skewed vision as if yours isn't, lol).

(For what I actually think happened, we were OK.  Basically a 5 or 6/10 performance, as I said in the match thread.  We were the better side than Wigan but have plenty to work on.  Our midfield was bright and full of energy, even when Bjarnason messed up on a couple of occasions.  It probably should've been more comfortable than 3-2, but there we go.)

I've also been positive about Bruce when deserved, but don't let that ruin your argument.

Speaking of arguments. I'm going to enjoy the win. Have a good evening.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not sure what he's best position is. He might be better as a def midfielder

He’s definitely a CB. Have no idea why Bruce sees him as some kind of utility player. Did not inspire any confidence at RB last season. His strengths must be all defensive because I haven’t seen any attacking ability from him, he either won’t or can’t cross the ball. Poor and hesitant in possession.

I’n hoping he gets a run of games at CB and shows exactly what he can do. Can’t be as bad as Jedinak was anyway. We would’ve been torn apart and embarrassed by a better side today.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Elmo - Tuanzebe - Chester - Hutton

Grealish - Thor - Jedi - Mcginn - Green

Kodjia

I thought he was going to line them up like that, Jedi at CB is suicide, got out of jail massively with that result and he took too long to get RHB on the pitch after kodjia was completely ineffective yet again.

McGinn looks a great signing, I like Green, Grealish was great even though he was kicked all around the pitch, Thor got on with his job quietly, Tuanzebe looked decent even though he was out of position.

The positives could have massively outweighed the negatives but Bruce has ensured that he is the talking point today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

Kodjia

I thought he was going to line them up like that, Jedi at CB is suicide, got out of jail massively with that result and he took too long to get RHB on the pitch after kodjia was completely ineffective yet again.

McGinn looks a great signing, I like Green, Grealish was great even though he was kicked all around the pitch, Thor got on with his job quietly, Tuanzebe looked decent even though he was out of position.

The positives could have massively outweighed the negatives but Bruce has ensured that he is the talking point today.

Good post. (I have run out of reactions!) so have a ghost like.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Kodjia

I don't think our captain is ever going to play anything other than right-hand-side of central defence.  We shouldn't really be moving him around to accommodate others either - Tuanzebe looks very uncomfortable on his left, so I can see why he slots in nicely enough at right back.  I also wouldn't want to see Grealish wasted out wide - he's our best player centrally.

I'd have started Elphick personally but, other than that, was happy with the lineup at the start of the game.

4 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Kodjia

God we need a new striker so badly and i don't like Jack on the wing. He's amf for me

Just now, villalad21 said:

God we need a new striker so badly and i don't like Jack on the wing. He's amf for me

Agreed, that was me just trying to second guess what Bruce was going to do, Jedi at centre back just completely threw me.

Bruce is like the kid blessed with the Huge @Dick who doesn't know how to use it.

He will get some great results purely due to size advantage but is still shit in bed and will have to be replaced eventually.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Such a frustrating manager and never seems to learn his lessons.

Too many random changes today, such selections rarely make sense and he’s done it too often.

Don’t approve of chucking in Nyland straight away when he’s just got here and barely had time to work with a (settled?) defence. Asking for trouble.

Jedinak is not a CB, becoming a liability. Too old and slow, careless in possession and needs to be sold. His heading ability and leadership qualities have always been admirable but that’s about it now.

Tuanzebe is not a full back, no attacking ability.

And FFS Bruce, play the players in their correct positions!!!! AAARGH!!!

Ahem...glad we got the win and got away with one today though.

Hope he can learn from this, for once. 

Strengthen accordingly and stop playing players out of position. Just appears to be random BS and never actually thought out with Bruce...

And if he brings back 5 at the back...?

So... start Moreira who hasn't played with this defence?  Or Sarkic who hasn't played with this defence?

Also, full backs aren't necessarily attacking.  Tuanzebe being solid in a back 4 is a good thing.  I know it's trendy to have players like Walker, Trippier and Hutton bombing on as wing backs, but we create plenty from out wide and don't need to have Tuanzebe joining in too.

Aside from Jedinak at CB, I don't think there was much wrong with the selection today.

• Like 1

------------------Nyland-------------------------

Hutton----Tuanzebe-Chester-Taylor

McGinn-Jedinak

Elmo--------------------------------------Adomah 

---------------------Grealish---------------------------

----------------------Murphy------------------------

This team for me. I'm tired of seeing Kodjias lazy ass walking around the pitch doing absolutely nothing. Tempted to put Green and Thor in there.

Edited by villalad21

I don't mind the XI he picked but I reckon if you'd ask 100 people how they'd set the team up, only a few would choose to do it like today.  Already it seems like it's going to be much like last season in terms of our performance and the arguments in here.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So... start Moreira who hasn't played with this defence?  Or Sarkic who hasn't played with this defence?

Also, full backs aren't necessarily attacking.  Tuanzebe being solid in a back 4 is a good thing.  I know it's trendy to have players like Walker, Trippier and Hutton bombing on as wing backs, but we create plenty from out wide and don't need to have Tuanzebe joining in too.

Aside from Jedinak at CB, I don't think there was much wrong with the selection today.

He could have delayed sending Steer out on loan and not have made so many changes, in defence in particular. 

Fullback doesn’t have to be bombing forward all the time but should at least be able to cross the ball when he gets into a forward position rather than ambling around and being hesitant. This is how he played at RB last season.

It’s not Tuanzebes fault anyway, he’s just playing where he’s been told. Bruce just doesn’t see that his correct position is CB. In fact, Bruce just doesn’t have a clue what most of our players best positions are. Sick of his random BS.

Â