Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Dick said:

Year 1: He had a free ride to get the squad he wanted

Year 2: He failed with that squad

Year 3: I think he will have till November. If we are top 2 then, he should stay till the end of the season.

Year 1 :He stopped a team conceding goals for fun, bought a dud, which set him back, lost his best player to the African nations for a month, bought others at the end of Jan who took time to settle.

Year 2: Had a poor start players still settling, lost his best player again with a pre season injury, lost JT his talisman with a metatarsal.....won 24 games scored 72 goals conceded 42....lost the playoffs by a whisker.

Year 3 : suffered from financial turmoil to the club, lost JT and lost Snoddy, who was his best assist man, lost his Goal keeper and striker on loans ended 

I would like to think Dick my rendition, is far more balanced than yours, although self praise is no recommendation......just say you don't like him and ease all the pain.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Did he get us promoted ? No. That was the objective, and he " failed .",Nearly, almost, and close, doesn't mean didly squat. Let's not forget the dreadful play - off performance, 45 minutes of utter inertia.

The day he goes, I will rejoice.

I actually missed the final but even neutrals I’ve spoken to said Bruce totally messed it up by sitting off and Fulham were there for the taking. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Did he get us promoted ? No. That was the objective, and he " failed .",Nearly, almost, and close, doesn't mean didly squat. Let's not forget the dreadful play - off performance, 45 minutes of utter inertia.

The day he goes, I will rejoice.

Sheepy, do forgive me for resorting to this, but I can't help it.

But ,If he goes....I will respect the new owners vision and get on with it....and embrace the new man.

but if he stays......I will laugh my tits off.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Year 1 :He stopped a team conceding goals for fun, bought a dud, which set him back, lost his best player to the African nations for a month, bought others at the end of Jan who took time to settle.

Year 2: Had a poor start players still settling, lost his best player again with a pre season injury, lost JT his talisman with a metatarsal.....won 24 games scored 72 goals conceded 42....lost the playoffs by a whisker.

Year 3 : suffered from financial turmoil to the club, lost JT and lost Snoddy, who was his best assist man, lost his Goal keeper and striker on loans ended 

I would like to think Dick my rendition, is far more balanced than yours, although self praise is no recommendation......just say you don't like him and ease all the pain.

1) I'm not complaining. I said a free ride.

2) Were we the only team with issues? Three of the players he had on loan are now back in the premier league. You make it sound like he came in and we were bottom 3 with no good players at all. We had one of the best squads in the league. I seem to remember you and others boasting after we went second, telling the forum you knew he would get it right. Funny how that all went quiet.

3) Yep, and we have been told... he needs a preseason, he has experience, he knows what he is doing. Now in his second full year, time to show it.

Of course yours is more balanced, it's easier to make excuses for poor football, no plan, no structure, no style, no tactics and no promotion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Tro one player from his January spending spree started the playoff final. He was informed that he would be spending his summer budget in January so it’s odd he kept bringing up no money to spend the summer. 

He used the loan market well but that always helps when you can offer Premier League wages. 

He came very close. Should he be given another shot? honestly im very undecided but leaning towards a change.

The main reason being I just never knew which Villa would turn up each game. We had no identity. It really was just go out there and try and win however you can. If we went behind it would more often than not lead to dropped points. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Why wait til Wednesday if it’s a ‘you’re sacked’ meeting? A quick phone call would suffice to save everyone time, or a meeting first thing Monday to bin him off and then crack on.

I’d be surprised if SB was gone on Weds. 

A phone call to sack him would not be the best introduction to our club and wouldn't go down well with us showing a total utter gutless handling of the situation, Steve Bruce or not Steve Bruce.

That said, if they cannot get for argument's sake their first or second choice of new manager to replace Bruce with then maybe it is a good thing we do stick with Bruce for this season instead of them appointing just anyone for the sake of it so to speak.

• Like 1

Given his black book contacts, JT on a golf course in Portugal, yes I know money rolled by Xia on his roll the dice gamble, how about Bruce as DOF and a younger more inexperienced Head Coach.

5 minutes ago, Dick said:

1) I'm not complaining. I said a free ride.

2) Were we the only team with issues? Three of the players he had on loan are now back in the premier league. You make it sound like he came in and we were bottom 3 with no good players at all. We had one of the best squads in the league. I seem to remember you and others boasting after we went second, telling the forum you knew he would get it right. Funny how that all went quiet.

3) Yep, and we have been told... he needs a preseason, he has experience, he knows what he is doing. Now in his second full year, time to show it.

Of course yours is more balanced, it's easier to make excuses for poor football, no plan, no structure, no style, no tactics and no promotion.

What a load of hogwash.

• We finished fourth or course that was better than 13th
  • I wasn't boasting when we went second, but its much better than 13th, he did get much of it right, we just missed out against 3 teams who dominated the ball better than we did...we still improved on the season before, when we was an embarrassment when he took over, just in case you have forgotten.
  • All managers need a pre-season don't scrape the barrel....its a legitimate claim.....of course he knows what he is doing....you or I may not agree, but he knows what he is doing.
  • The last line mate is .......well too stupid for words.....its not worthy of a response quite frankly.

I’d get Alan Partridge to do it:

You're sacked! You are sacked, I'm sacking you. In fact, it's happened, it's over, it's already happened, you are a sacked man. You've been sacked. You're the subject of a sacking, I want you off these premises in 10 minutes. Knowing me, Alan Partridge, sacking you, Steve Bruce. A-ha!”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

What a load of hogwash.

• We finished fourth or course that was better than 13th
  • I wasn't boasting when we went second, but its much better than 13th, he did get much of it right, we just missed out against 3 teams who dominated the ball better than we did...we still improved on the season before, when we was an embarrassment when he took over, just in case you have forgotten.
  • All managers need a pre-season don't scrape the barrel....its a legitimate claim.....of course he knows what he is doing....you or I may not agree, but he knows what he is doing.
  • The last line mate is .......well too stupid for words.....its not worthy of a response quite frankly.

He doesn't know what he's doing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He doesn't know what he's doing.

his "tactics" consist of better players than the opposition and old head leaders on the pitch doing half his job for him

there are a lot of times we still play very poorly and manage to win (cardiff at home for example)

• Like 2

Steve Bruce.

Would i like him to stay?  Yes,I like having him in charge, he is a very knowledgable man who is widely respected,he chooses to play in a style that sometimes i don't enjoy but on the whole i respect his decisions as he has earnt that respect.He also signs "proper footballers" players which for too long have passed us by. If he gets a budget this year he will not waste it as so many people think,he hasn't done it before and he won't do it again.

Should he stay based on his performance over nearly two seasons of managing the biggest club in the division? This is more difficult to answer,as he had a very strong squad in both seasons and on occasions we have not pressed home the advantage that such a strong squad has given us.The tactics and team choice have let us down often and at the play off final can anybody say they went there confident our experienced but one paced side would prevail?

Will he stay? He could well be replaced by new owners as the fact is Aston Villa are underachieving with every game we play in this division. Its a very difficult job to get Villa back up. What we are and what we should be are two different things,i think Steve Bruce can  get us back BUT HIS GAME NEEDS TO BE UPPED THIS SEASON as Villa had too many bad periods which cost us last year.

41 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Why wait til Wednesday if it’s a ‘you’re sacked’ meeting? A quick phone call would suffice to save everyone time, or a meeting first thing Monday to bin him off and then crack on.

I’d be surprised if SB was gone on Weds. 

Exactly. This close to the start of the season, there's no way they'd waste nearly a week to sack him if they'd already made the decision.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tro one player from his January spending spree started the playoff final. He was informed that he would be spending his summer budget in January so it’s odd he kept bringing up no money to spend the summer. 

He used the loan market well but that always helps when you can offer Premier League wages. 

He came very close. Should he be given another shot? honestly im very undecided but leaning towards a change.

The main reason being I just never knew which Villa would turn up each game. We had no identity. It really was just go out there and try and win however you can. If we went behind it would more than often lead to dropped points. 

look many things you say are right......If some one said to me, what do you want from your team moving forward....I would say, I want to see more of our players dominating the ball and winning the initiative to control the game.

We failed to win  3 crucial games....QPR, Bolton and Hull.....each game we failed to dominate them.

The manager has to carry the can.....but I blame the players in the main for not competing.....thats my take on it sorry.

Its anyones call.

The new owners/Investors.....will have their own agenda, they will know what their intentions are and they will be well aware of Steve Bruce's strengths and weaknesses....they will act accordingly.

I will abide with what they come up with.....and I will get behind the man that is entrusted with our future.....I just hope the fan base can do the same.

If they do stick with Bruce, I hope gets the respect that decision deserves.

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

If it takes a manager 8 or 9 months to "settle" new signings into a squad then he deserves to be sacked.  Possible excuse if they have come from abroad and don't speak the language (like JPA) but for players from the same country, used to the "hustle and bustle" of the British game - you can't expect it to take the best part of a season for them to settle.

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

excuses excuses excuses. Could have been written by Steve Bruce himself.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

They will be well aware what he done last season.....finishing fourth and 24 wins.....The discussion will be, what do we need to do to get us over the line.

The style of play and the cosmetic bits will not be overly considered.....It will all surround results.

missing out so closely will not go amiss....they will be oh so aware of that.

Top business men are not chancers, they back winning tickets.....Steve went too close for them to dismiss him.....thats my take.

And my take is that because they will be well aware of what Bruce did last season, and based on that, they will want to bring in someone else.

He will probably keep his job temporarily due to the closeness of the start of the season, but if they see Bruce as the way forward I will be massively disappointed.

• Like 1

In fairness to Bruce I think the football was better last year than the one before- it was certainly a much better team. We scored 25 more goals and gained 20 more points. And at times such as Wolves and Bristol at home it was some high scoring, entertaining stuff. However you got the feeling it was all rather haphazard and ultimately the whole was less than the sum of its past. Brucey might say that had we had a fit Grealish all year and 1 consistent striker who got 20-25 goals for the season, we would have got automatic. But it didn't happen. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â