Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why was he mocked for that?

Think you have to factor in the terrible start we had to the season.

We had 7 points after 7 games or something like that. Even some of Bruce's sternest supporters were wobbling about him

• Like 3

@TRO said it. We as fans should have more patience and not expect instant gratification too much. Sometimes endeavours take time and we have to accept that. It's not just us, but the modern game in general. I think we'll benefit more from it in the long-run.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s the Championship, having followed Brighton in it for many years I can tell you there’s still so so many more twists to come, not likely but Wolves could even fall out of the play offs places that’s the nature of this division. All we need to do like @TRO has said is worry about our results which seems to have picked up, still very feasible Villa could win the league. I don’t say this to be mocked but it’s what I can share with you from experience. 

Indeed , derby were top in March a couple of years ago and missed out completely on the top 6 in may . 

‘One hopes the vast experience in our team will help when the pressure grows in the final run in .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

As a massive cynic of Bruce's management style and tactics I am loving being proved wrong, I think there are so many factors at play to why we are looking better, it could be that Steve's Plan A was pretty solid, his Plan B and C which he has been forced to wheel out a lot are just not great, but few managers have much beyond Plan A, O'Neill certainly didn't.

• Like 1

All we can ever do is form an opinion based on what has happened. That opinion is of course the guess work, if it wasn’t we’d all be very rich indeed. I’ve watched us from The Holte End for longer than I can remember, but it always amazes me the different opinions I hear around me even about the game you’re actually watching at the time. And unbelievable though it seems, sometimes my opinion proves to be wrong! The only thing I think that we all have in common, is that we all want us to succeed, how we do it is just opinion.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What a coach Steve Agnew is.

Bruce I'll take or leave thanks.

Clear who makes the difference at Villa.

Excellent excellent stuff.

Ah yes remind us who decided to bring him In?

Take it bruce was t responsible for that either No?

11 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So what do we think the reason is for the current run of form? Hogan, Grealish, Agnew, confidence, Terry?

Mixture of all? Grealish though seems to have made a huge difference for me, starting from his half time appearance at Boro if I'm not mistaken? 

Whether he does or doesn't we will see. But he can. Not that that should be any massive realisation for anyone, but it has been claimed in this thread that there's 'no way' he'll get us promoted and other over the top hyperbole. He has definitely sailed close to any line in the sand at times here. The way we fell away last year was hardly a positive. The way we started this season was hardly going to inspire confidence. And most importantly no one has been proven right or wrong either way.

Many of the points used to argue the case for and against him have/have had merit. 

Also, turning on those who've called for his removal is hardly going to draw us all together. We are one entity. You're attacking yourselves. VTID

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So what do we think the reason is for the current run of form? Hogan, Grealish, Agnew, confidence, Terry?

Combination of the above? We have had a few injuries (Grealish, Kodija, Terry, Hogan) which the majority we are over and Agnew seems to have made a difference. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

I think in Jack's case, it's been partly a mental issue. He stepped out of line early on and looked light and prone to disappear. A lot of money and pressure on young shoulders, I can't criticise him too much. How would I react in that situation? I might let it all go to my head too. He lived off that semi-final for far too long and got too much slack cut from fans because he's local.

Now, he's really getting his mental state right in terms of attitude. He gives off an aura of determination but now, I think he's begun to believe he has the ability people have told him he has and that being a player requires consistency, not just one game. As regards his attitude, he seems determined to put in the work that maximises the talent he always clearly had. He knows talent alone only gets you so far. If Ronaldo works really hard, chances are you'll have to as well.

I also think his physical development has been crucial. He's looked like a floppy haired, slovenly boy for too long.

He finally looks like a man. His movement and energy tell me he's ready to play a physical game and stay in the game, not fading for long periods until someone passes it to him. He's tracking back, getting involved himself. If you don't give him the ball, he'll try and get it. He's determined to impose himself on the game.

I think physically and mentally, he really does look like a different player. Happily, a much better one that's hopefully going to get better with work and experience and one who has the attitude, I'm going to be the one player at the club the manager can't afford to leave out.

ditto

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

All we can ever do is form an opinion based on what has happened. That opinion is of course the guess work, if it wasn’t we’d all be very rich indeed. I’ve watched us from The Holte End for longer than I can remember, but it always amazes me the different opinions I hear around me even about the game you’re actually watching at the time. And unbelievable though it seems, sometimes my opinion proves to be wrong! The only thing I think that we all have in common, is that we all want us to succeed, how we do it is just opinion.

you are right here though Dave.

You and I form opinions on what we see, we may be right at the time, but events change, so our opinions look misjudged, that happens at times to all of us.

as you know, I have always been keen to give Steve Bruce a good run to rebuild us......but I must confess a little losing run and my confidence dissipated.....thats fickle on my part and not proud of it.

However, I have never been disparaging towards him.....just frustrated at losing games.

Players improve or regress or dip in and out of form, it happens and we change our opinions.....or loosen our grip.

Opinions never were meant to be set in tablets of stone, thats for facts.

UTV

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s the Championship, having followed Brighton in it for many years I can tell you there’s still so so many more twists to come, not likely but Wolves could even fall out of the play offs places that’s the nature of this division. All we need to do like @TRO has said is worry about our results which seems to have picked up, still very feasible Villa could win the league. I don’t say this to be mocked but it’s what I can share with you from experience. 

Absolutely right Tommo.

The landscape at the top could be entirely different when the crocuses show their face.

with the Mighty Villa perched at the top.

sorry about the penultimate line it was purely self indulgence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Think you have to factor in the terrible start we had to the season.

We had 7 points after 7 games or something like that. Even some of Bruce's sternest supporters were wobbling about him

bang on....FWIW  and as debatable as it can be, I don't think we was ready at the start of the season......we have grown in to it and I hope the growing ends with us Automatic.

and you are right again, Bruce's most partisan supporters won't support a constantly losing manager.

However, I still maintain taking over a car crash as opposed to a club taking a dip......There is a bit of difference in how long it takes.

• Like 1

Not to cause an avalanche of controvesy.....but it was interesting to see Bruce in front of the Dug out waving players forward in the second half , when we was 3-1 up and they ( Barnsley)were having a go. The attest for me of Bruce wanting to attack.

Edited by TRO

Â