Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well what you're apparently aware of is completely wrong. I don't think that at all.

But you said it "wasn't working". Considering we were 4th in the league up until 3 games before Agnew was hired, it would suggest it was working pretty well.

It is brave by Bruce. Very brave. But if it works, which current form suggests it could, would you not agree that is a good thing?

You are misquoting again. I said our attacking play was awful and that’s why most fans wanted Bruce out. It’s a brilliant thing we are now looking like a team it’s  just a shame he didn’t rectify it earlier as we’d couldve been challenging Wolves. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

You are misquoting again. I said our attacking play was awful and that’s why most fans wanted Bruce out. It’s a brilliant thing we are now looking like a team it’s  just a shame he didn’t rectify it earlier as we’d couldve been challenging Wolves. 

If Bruce wanted Agnew to help rectify the problem then you can see why it didn't happen sooner.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of other attacking coaches out there but managers tend to go with what they know. It's coming together nicely and at the right time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Still can challenge Wolves easily, still got a 6 pointer against them to come, they slip up between now and then and we are right back up there with them obviously providing we don’t makes a pigs ear of it from here on out. 

13 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

If Bruce wanted Agnew to help rectify the problem then you can see why it didn't happen sooner.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of other attacking coaches out there but managers tend to go with what they know. It's coming together nicely and at the right time.

This was covered earlier. Bruce waiting 6 months for him was a gamble as he couldve been sacked in that time. It looks to have paid off. 

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Forget about challenging Wolves, they are too good and have too much of a gap.

This is all about that 2nd spot now.

Aim for 1st and if you get close and fail you're likely guaranteed 2nd. I would be pushing my players to chase Wolves until it is mathematically impossible to overtake them.

• Like 1

I desperately want us to finish top 2, but I couldn't care less if we catch Wolves or finish 2nd. Or even 6th to be honest, as long as we are promoted.

For me the only thing that matters is promotion, winning the Championship "title" is a trophy I guess. But who cares.

The only thing I'd really be celebrating is promotion.. Obviously finishing top of the table would be a big accomplishment, certainly.

But it would be a bit like when we won the Intertoto cup, the title in itself is pointless, it's the price of progression that is the real price.

Fully understand why the Championship title might mean more to you Brits thou.

Anyway, fact we (I) am are even discussing this is a sign things are currently going well.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Stranger things have happened in football and wolves lead is not uncatchable - we have gained 10 points on Bristol city in the last 4 games alone and 5 on wolves in the last 2 games and wolves are quite capable of going on a poor run - there will be many twists and turns to come yet .

highly unlikely we will catch wolves but certainly not unthinkable. 

Edited by Eastie

10 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Aim for 1st and if you get close and fail you're likely guaranteed 2nd. I would be pushing my players to chase Wolves until it is mathematically impossible to overtake them.

In theory yes but its also going to create unrealistic expectations and put more pressure on Bruce and players. Its easy to aim high after 4 wins on the bounce but Bruce will only need to lose two consecutive games to get some fans calling for his head, especially with unrealistic targets like finishing above Wolves.

• Like 1

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

In theory yes but its also going to create unrealistic expectations and put more pressure on Bruce and players. Its easy to aim high after 4 wins on the bounce but Bruce will only need to lose two consecutive games to get some fans calling for his head, especially with unrealistic targets like finishing above Wolves.

We just need to keep winning and doing our job - the rest will take care of itself - aim  is promotion , whether that means catching wolves or not is not really the point - you implied wolves are uncatchable - they are not . 

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We just need to keep winning and doing our job - the rest will take care of itself - aim  is promotion , whether that means catching wolves or not is not really the point - you implied wolves are uncatchable - they are not . 

Statistically yes they are very catchable, in my opinion they aren't though,

If we win the next 5 games I may agree with that statement but at the moment its a step too far for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Sounds like a nice management-y thing to say, but aiming for 1st is unrealistic.  We should just aim to win our own games and keep the pressure on Derby.  IF we happened to catch Wolves, then great.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sne said:

I desperately want us to finish top 2, but I couldn't care less if we catch Wolves or finish 2nd. Or even 6th to be honest, as long as we are promoted.

For me the only thing that matters is promotion, winning the Championship "title" is a trophy I guess. But who cares.

The only thing I'd really be celebrating is promotion.. Obviously finishing top of the table would be a big accomplishment, certainly.

But it would be a bit like when we won the Intertoto cup, the title in itself is pointless, it's the price of progression that is the real price.

Fully understand why the Championship title might mean more to you Brits thou.

Anyway, fact we (I) am are even discussing this is a sign things are currently going well.

Not that I think we'll do it, and I agree promotion is the holy grail. There is one reason it might be nice though ;)

Runs without any domestic league, FA Cup or League Cup trophy:

1996/97 - Present  - 21 seasons
1920/21 - 1937/38 - 18 seasons
1874/75 - 1886/87 - 13 seasons
1981/82 - 1993/94 - 13 seasons
1938/39 - 1956/57 - 12 seasons (7 lost to WWII)
1961/62 - 1971/72 - 11 seasons

22 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Totally agree - Wolves are head and shoulders above anyone else in our division imo 

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Totally agree - Wolves are head and shoulders above anyone else in our division imo 

They are.  It's an incredible squad they've got there.

Interesting to note, though, that they've only won 2 of their last 6 league games and haven't scored in the last 3...

34 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

This was covered earlier. Bruce waiting 6 months for him was a gamble as he couldve been sacked in that time. It looks to have paid off. 

Possibly, but without wishing to further the 'Bruce is shit, nah he's decent' debate, we weren't doing terribly before Agnew came in, the football was just rather dull for the most part.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Stranger things have happened in football and wolves lead is not uncatchable - we have gained 10 points on Bristol city in the last 4 games alone and 5 on wolves in the last 2 games and wolves are quite capable of going on a poor run - there will be many twists and turns to come yet .

highly unlikely we will catch wolves but certainly not unthinkable. 

It would be absolutely hilarous if us and derby went up and wolves fell into the play offs. If that happened I don't think they would have the mental strength to win in the play offs.

Then next season they would be in massive trouble with FFP

• Haha 1

Â