Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

I never said they did. I was pointing out Bruce had a good squad of players that he cashed in to get this squad so using net spend as a point is spurious. It seems you are arguing a point you made. 

Okay cool, think I lost track of what we were debating. 

Though I would counter that with saying that I think in the main, he did pretty well in shifting those players out (Ayew for a fee plus Taylor, £5m for Westwood etc) so I think hes done well to move a shitload out, bring a shitload in with only a small overall spend (on transfer fees). 

12 hours ago, poitier said:

I think it was failing to come up with any other plan for the several months Grealish was out that he was mocked for.

We were 4th in the league when Grealish returned form injury. 

I think the other plan was doing ok, don't you think?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah yes, when he hadn't played him in any sort of system and we were getting passed to bits by teams from league 2.

A lucky liar with a fantastic squad.

Pre-season means nothing.

Bruce just might fluke his way to automatic promotion. Some luck that!

Edited by Stevo985

13 hours ago, sne said:

Well he was mocked for saying he was going to build the attack around Jack after he got injured, and then said he'd had to "fit him in somehow" when he returned from injury.

Why was he mocked for that?

Our attack is currently built around Jack and is performing really really well. So seems to me he was telling the truth.

When he returned from injury we were 4th in the league. So the temptation would have been to keep things as they were. I assume that's what he meant. he had to fit him in despite the team doing well because he's one of our best players.

i think we just were/are at that stage where people are unhappy with the manager so they dissect every little thing he says and twist it into a negative.

Don't get me wrong, Bruce says some stupid stuff. This hysteria and attacking the fans thing he's done is **** dumb.
But that doesn't mean everything he says is bad.

But that's VT.

Edited by Stevo985

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What a coach Steve Agnew is.

Bruce I'll take or leave thanks.

Clear who makes the difference at Villa.

Excellent excellent stuff.

Agnew being the coach Bruce had worked with previously, presumably Bruce was the one who wanted him, and more than likely wouldn't be here if bruce wasn't here?

Part of a manager's job is to get the right coaches and use them in the right way to produce results. Bruce is doing this.

People tying themselves in knots trying to remove any credit from bruce.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think there is any doubt Agnew has made a difference and Bruce has been the first to praise him.

Just as it is down to the manager to build a squad of players he thinks can get the best results from the budget the club has it is also down to the manager to put the best coaching staff together to get the best out of those players.

I have long thought Bruce has assembled a very good squad the issue was that he wasn't getting the best out of them. If he has now, by bringing in Agnew who he has worked with for years, brought in the final piece to get the best out of the squad he has assembled then that is very good management all round in putting a good squad together and the coaching staff around him to help him get the best out of them. As you say excellent, excellent stuff. A manager doing exactly what a good manager does. 

Totally agree Mark.

just to add.....Steve Bruce tried to get Steve Agnew last season, but circumstances denied him....so the intention was always there.

This is what time does and why it takes longer than some fans think, managers miss out on targets and have to bide their time.

I was a bit dubious about our squad, but also think that certain players like Grealish and Hogan who have improved their own contribution have lifted other players too....a sort of synergy at large.

as Steve Bruce has said confidence is brittle, but the more of it knocking around the club the better......its contagious.

ps not least on here.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think there is any doubt Agnew has made a difference and Bruce has been the first to praise him.

Just as it is down to the manager to build a squad of players he thinks can get the best results from the budget the club has it is also down to the manager to put the best coaching staff together to get the best out of those players.

I have long thought Bruce has assembled a very good squad the issue was that he wasn't getting the best out of them. If he has now, by bringing in Agnew who he has worked with for years, brought in the final piece to get the best out of the squad he has assembled then that is very good management all round in putting a good squad together and the coaching staff around him to help him get the best out of them. As you say excellent, excellent stuff. A manager doing exactly what a good manager does. 

As a so called semi "Bruce Hater" I think it is wrong to put everything down to Agnew.

As some others have said, I actually had no clue we were working without an attacking coach.

So i'm pretty much in agreement with all you've said, Bruce has to get credit when/where it's due.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am a harsh Bruce critic but we are playing well but crucially he has woke up Grealish our biggest talent in years and i respect that

Do you think he woke him up?...or do you think natural development takes time?

I think Bruce always knew what Jack was capable of but just had not fulfilled his development.....so jack was leaving gaps in his performances and in his game.

I don't think he is finished yet......but is moving closer to the completed player.

I think we have all been guilty at times of commenting on things, that are yet not complete.....but we don't know how long these things are expected to take.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As a so called semi "Bruce Hater" I think it is wrong to put everything down to Agnew.

As some others have said, I actually had no clue we were working without an attacking coach.

So i'm pretty much in agreement with all you've said, Bruce has to get credit when/where it's due.

Neither me.....I had no idea we was short of an attacking coach.....but there are many things we don't know.

I had a suspicion, things were not entirely in place.......and whilst i have been guilty of a few wobbles in my opinions ( defeats have a habit of doing that) i have generally been of the opinion SB knows what he is doing.

I think we have a lot more to come from him and i think as we incrementally improve the squad, i think it will be done moving forward by 2-3 players per window, keeping the spirit and strengthening as we go.

I think we are in for a very decent future.....keeping things in perspective as we go of course.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This thread is amazing. 

You people are amazing. 

Come on Dave....I've been looking to hear your take on things of late .....Avfc

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes, good management is about bringing good people in, I'm hardly Bruce's biggest fan but Agnew is a major coup, had an instant impact and that's because Bruce pushed for him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes, good management is about bringing good people in, I'm hardly Bruce's biggest fan but Agnew is a major coup, had an instant impact and that's because Bruce pushed for him. 

Its not for me to tell folk what opinion to have on Steve Bruce its freedom of choice.

However.....I do think some fans have formed those opinions a bit too soon.

Steve Bruce's job is one of development and gradual improvement....that includes many types of staff including players, coaches etc.

i agree with you....He did push for him, and has wanted him for some time, so it indicates the mans earlier intentions.

I don't want to labour the point of the past, but time to develop, really is a serious consideration for us and as fans we need to employ more patience, despite our passion for instant gratification.

We are getting better.....we can all see that, its taken a bit longer than some of us expected.....and it is not finished yet , by any means.

We will be ok....I think we are in good hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its not for me to tell folk what opinion to have on Steve Bruce its freedom of choice.

However.....I do think some fans have formed those opinions a bit too soon.

Steve Bruce's job is one of development and gradual improvement....that includes many types of staff including players, coaches etc.

i agree with you....He did push for him, and has wanted him for some time, so it indicates the mans earlier intentions.

I don't want to labour the point of the past, but time to develop, really is a serious consideration for us and as fans we need to employ more patience, despite our passion for instant gratification.

We are getting better.....we can all see that, its taken a bit longer than some of us expected.....and it is not finished yet , by any means.

We will be ok....I think we are in good hands.

Many of us have called for his head at times this season including yourself but he has turned things around and deserves credit for doing so - I’m delighted with the current situation and we are now looking a very decent team with Grealish and hogan also hitting form - keep it up Brucey ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Do you think he woke him up?...or do you think natural development takes time?

I think Bruce always knew what Jack was capable of but just had not fulfilled his development.....so jack was leaving gaps in his performances and in his game.

I don't think he is finished yet......but is moving closer to the completed player.

I think we have all been guilty at times of commenting on things, that are yet not complete.....but we don't know how long these things are expected to take.

I think he has, for all his faults the players will listen to Bruce and like him. not just him but experience he brought in like Whelan and Terry can only be positive

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Many of us have called for his head at times this season including yourself but he has turned things around and deserves credit for doing so - I’m delighted with the current situation and we are now looking a very decent team with Grealish and hogan also hitting form - keep it up Brucey ;)

Yes I have had my "judas" moments when my general opinion wobbled.

shame on me, for not believing sufficiently to negate my fears.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â