Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

Good gosh no way - this guy is living the dream by managing us right now - in the prem can you imagine his tactics 1-9-1

"Look Eeem... I've not had hundreds of millions to spend,...eeemm and i've had to make us even harder to beat in this League...fair play to Lionel Messi, he's come in and dug his heels into the Defensive Midfielder role which is where I see him long term, every week it's a crisis at Aston Villa and it's pathetic"

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

How many managers get sacked after getting their team promoted? The only example I can think of is when one particular Hull City manager resigned when he realised there would be no money to spend in the summer and fell out with the ownership.

Don’t think he was sacked, but Jokanovic left Watford after getting them promoted. 

17 hours ago, omariqy said:

Right now, no way I would change the manager unless we really stumbled. However, I would have changed him at the beginning of the season and after the Boro game at home. Maybe even after the Brentford game. Right now we have won 2 on the bounce and stumbled across a formation and line up that may work.

If he doesn’t change it! Bruce has a tendency to leave things when we struggle so he’s seen as backing his players but. When we win he can start to meddle. 3 at the back at Bristol being one. Pick the same team. MAybe bring back Terry? Pick the same tactics. Let other team worry about us. Then change in game if it’s not working. 

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So why would you waste the money then? lol

Wouldn't it make more sense to just have a manager who can take us through the full spectrum of building and pushing on then?

We all agree Bruce was a means to an end. I actually thought he’d come here and embrace the challenge and get us playing good stuff. He’s had his chance so unless we finish 2nd playing well and getting bristol City type results he should go. We need momentum next year no matter what division. Bruce doesn’t give us that. 

48 minutes ago, villa89 said:

How many managers get sacked after getting their team promoted? The only example I can think of is when one particular Hull City manager resigned when he realised there would be no money to spend in the summer and fell out with the ownership.

It would certainly be unusual, still think it would be the right move for us.

Southampton waited half a season to replace Adkins with Pocchettino, they felt they needed to to take the next step I imagine. 

For me it's the same with Bruce should we manage to get promoted, only I feel it's much better to make the change at the end of the season.

Bruce is on a rolling contract so he'll get a years wage whenever he's let go, he'll be fine.

And he would not be the first manager to be replaced after ending the season on a high.

Our old friend Di Matteo won the CL with Chelsea and was sacked,

Heynckes won everything with Bayern and was let go in favor of Pep (that deal was in place early on)

Serbia finished top of their group and qualified for the 2018 WC and sacked their manager who took them there

Horses for courses and so on.

For me he was brought in to do a job, get us promoted. If he does that he will have my thanks along with the £ multi millions in salary.

The next job would be to build a new team for the PL, and manage and develop it.

I don't feel he's the man for it.

They've already stated we need 3 different teams to get where we want to go. 1 to get promoted, 1 to establish us in the PL, and 1 to challenge.

Don't see why that would not apply to managers as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

How many clubs the size of Villa have limped over the line to promotion after massive investment in the league? 

assuming we go up 

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How many clubs the size of Villa have limped over the line to promotion after massive investment in the league? 

assuming we go up 

That's the thing though...there hasn't been massive investment for Bruce bar Scott Hogan. RDM wasted bonkers amounts of money on the likes of McCormack, Gollini and Tshibola.

If Hogan had worked out for Bruce it could have made all the difference to our current limping state. 

I just don't think we've had massive investment under Bruce.

I’m not a fan of Bruce football or the way in which he deals with criticism but I think in general he has done fairly well in the transfer market and if played the right way Hogan may still come good.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

That's the thing though...there hasn't been massive investment for Bruce bar Scott Hogan. RDM wasted bonkers amounts of money on the likes of McCormack, Gollini and Tshibola.

If Hogan had worked out for Bruce it could have made all the difference to our current limping state. 

Bruce has been allowed to bring in Hogan, Johnstone, Taylor, Samba, Terry, Bree, Elmo, Hourihane, Lansbury, Whelan, Snodgrass, Onomah and Bjarnason. So please, irrespective of net spend, etc., let's not kid ourselves. He's had massive investment. Apart from maybe Wolves, no team in the championship have had a bigger investment these last 15 months. 

Furthermore, RDM didn't waste anymore than anyone else these past 6 years or so at Villa. Our "standout performers" Kodjia, Chester, Adomah, and Jedinak were all bought by RDM. Likewise, I think Bruce has bought quite well. He just isn't able to get the best of them (IMO).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Exactly this, wish people would recognise actual facts.

SB hasn't spent that much money in the grand scheme and when you factor in the net spend it's feck all.

People seem to conveniently forget the whole RDM tenure to back up their mythical knowledge.

We have not had massive investment under Bruce, irrespective of being in the Championship, Danny Drinkwater cost more than SB has spent in total - have a think about that people the next time you start chirping on about how he's blown huge amounts.

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Bruce has been allowed to bring in Hogan, Johnstone, Taylor, Samba, Terry, Bree, Elmo, Hourihane, Lansbury, Whelan, Snodgrass, Onomah and Bjarnason. So please, irrespective of net spend, etc., let's not kid ourselves. He's had massive investment. Apart from maybe Wolves, no team in the championship have had a bigger investment these last 15 months. 

Furthermore, RDM didn't waste anymore than anyone else these past 6 years or so at Villa. Our "standout performers" Kodjia, Chester, Adomah, and Jedinak were all bought by RDM. Likewise, I think Bruce has bought quite well. He just isn't able to get the best of them (IMO).

Bore off mate

JOhnstone - loan 

Taylor - free (as part of a swap)

Samba - free

Terry - free

Bree - £2m?

Elmo - £1m?

Whelan - £1m?

Snodgrass - loan

Onomah - loan

Bjarnasson - £1.5M 

ooooo bloody massive that guys, shit we should be winning the champions league with that investment let alone the championship, pull your head out of your arse Vreitti.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Apparently, our net spend since Steve Bruce has been in charge is -£11m.  That is, we've received £11m more than we've spent.

No team in the Championship has had a bigger investment in the last 15 months than -£11m?  I don't believe you... :detect: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, bobzy said:

Apparently, our net spend since Steve Bruce has been in charge is -£11m.  That is, we've received £11m more than we've spent.

No team in the Championship has had a bigger investment in the last 15 months than -£11m?  I don't believe you... :detect: 

Thanks for digging up the facts.

Can't wait to see what golden nugget he comes up with next in response.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh but apparently only Wolves come near us in terms of our huge investment.

Wolves had an overall net spend of around £15m (according to transfermarkt), we had -£11m, a total swing of £26M, but apparently only Wolves get near our level of investment.

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay whatever, great come back pal.

Why would I even need a comeback? I simply stated my opinion. Feel free to disagree pal. Your idea of investment is apparently only money spent on transfers. I have a different opinion. Can we just leave it at that? You don't have to resort to childish insults. 

Edited by vreitti

Â