Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not even close.

JV suggested people were claiming Bruce was "working wonders" on a "shoe string budget"

None of what you've quoted is anywhere near that. And none of what Bruce says is actually untrue either.

I think Bruce continues to try and portray himself as someone who is working order hard conditions and restrictions. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Talking about cutting the wage bill and negative net spend just ignores so much. 

If people don't think Bruce inherited and then was able to invest and sign a squad better than the vast majority of teams in the league then they are clearly choosing to stick their head in the sand, which i can only assume is to downplay the expectations that the manager should be under.

But there is a difference in signing  the best players at other clubs and signing players to blend a team.

one is on paper.....the other is the real thing.

despite many thinking we have one of the best squads, we still are missing quality in key positions.....injuries are playing a crucial part in that, but when they are long term, which most of ours seem to be....its critical to the plan.

We are then strapped with FFP to correct it.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Bruce continues to try and portray himself as someone who is working order hard conditions and restrictions. 

He IS working under hard conditions.This Aston Villa it is unlike any other club in the division the expectation levels are through the roof and nothing but promotion is acceptable.Also he is restricted as he can’t pay a transfer fee for players that he wants to sign.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don’t think he does. 

And even if he does, that’s still not the same as the OP. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Bruce plays the standard game of spin. He makes himself out out to be at a team with the lowest budget in the championship and that you should feel sorry for him.

No he doesn’t. 

Where is this nonsense coming from?

Just now, Stevo985 said:

No he doesn’t. 

Where is this nonsense coming from?

He really does. He never talks about how good his players are, what talent he has at his disposal. He is very downtrodden and plays down the talent he has. I get why he does it. It helps with managing expectations. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He really does. He never talks about how good his players are, what talent he has at his disposal. He is very downtrodden and plays down the talent he has. I get why he does it. It helps with managing expectations. 

:crylaugh:

what a load of cobblers

Just now, omariqy said:

It really isn't. I have never heard him say how talented his squad is and how we should be up there. It's always the fans expect us up there because we are Aston Villa and rightly so. 

You said he makes out he has the lowest budget in the Championship and we should feel sorry for him. 

That is absolute nonsense. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You said he makes out he has the lowest budget in the Championship and we should feel sorry for him. 

I never said he has said those words but he implies we can't compete financially. No one else can get a player like Terry and pay him what we pay. Not even Wolves.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

He IS working under hard conditions.This Aston Villa it is unlike any other club in the division the expectation levels are through the roof and nothing but promotion is acceptable.Also he is restricted as he can’t pay a transfer fee for players that he wants to sign.

I imagine he spins his situation so that friends in the media and fans will share this type of opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you think he is too negative about the talent we have in the squad? Do you recognise his lack of acknowledgement of how lucky he is to have players like Terry, Kodjia (last year), Jedi, Hourihane, Grealish Chester etc?

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I imagine he spins his situation so that friends in the media and fans will share this type of opinion. 

Which is exactly what Sherwood did and got slated and hated for. I really don't see that much of a difference. Apart from the fact that Bruce is obviously a much better manager.

“I have said before we are strapped with FFP (Financial Fair Play). We will have to beg, steal and borrow like we did in the summer, look at our options and see if one of my mates can do me a turn."

said this a few months ago. He has consistently made out like he is hard done by at this club. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

But there is a difference in signing  the best players at other clubs and signing players to blend a team.

one is on paper.....the other is the real thing.

despite many thinking we have one of the best squads, we still are missing quality in key positions.....injuries are playing a crucial part in that, but when they are long term, which most of ours seem to be....its critical to the plan.

We are then strapped with FFP to correct it.

The quality of signings and signing the right player is another debate. We certainly haven't spent money wisely these past few years. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I never said he has said those words but he implies we can't compete financially. No one else can get a player like Terry and pay him what we pay. Not even Wolves.

Where does he imply this?

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

“I have said before we are strapped with FFP (Financial Fair Play). We will have to beg, steal and borrow like we did in the summer, look at our options and see if one of my mates can do me a turn."

said this a few months ago. He has consistently made out like he is hard done by at this club. 

What part of that isn’t true?

and what part of that implies that we “can’t compete financially”?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Well hopefully the part about him stealing money is untrue.

Surely a sackable offence? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Beg, steal and borrow isn't really a phrase used other than to make out you haven't got any money. 

Also the mention of mates with the implication that our situation requires favours.

John Terry is probably the biggest signing ever made in this league and yet he uses phrases like the above to describe a summer transfer window in which he signed him..

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

Â