Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, Dave J said:

Look football is all about opinions is it not? Am I right to assume you think otherwise?  For me  Sparky has not done a bad job at Stoke in the grand scheme of things - yes he can be moody  and churlish at times in press conferences but you don't need to look far for the reasons he presents this way- but in all fairness he has given Stoke a different brand since he replaced Tony Pulis - they have recruited some reasonable ball players during this period and have generally done as well as could be expected in my honest opinion.

For me Sparky operating at his maximum capacity week in week out is a mid table prem manager - For me Bruce is not and neither is the football he produces.

i would add that neither Bruce or Hughes play any part in a vision that I want for Aston Villa - Hughes for me is no more than a short term stop gap manager to haul us over the line and review in the summer with maybe a 12 month deal ???

i doubt very much he would accept the job on these terms anyway so it's all pointless speculation 

From the 3 Stoke fans I know I can tell you this is not the case, in their opinion.

They think he had them playing some good football in his first season, but since then the football has been awful and results gradually worse and worse.

They've all wanted him gone for about a year.

I think they're both similar in that they both have a preference for physicality over creativity. I'm not a fan of either but if I had to choose I'd go with Hughes. I think he's about a half a level above Bruce and falls right on the line for me whereas Bruce falls below it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

From the 3 Stoke fans I know I can tell you this is not the case, in their opinion.

They think he had them playing some good football in his first season, but since then the football has been awful and results gradually worse and worse.

Hand on heart what would you say ? Stoke under Pulis ? Or Hughes ? I know who I would watch - listen I'm not bigging up Sparky to something he is not - I just feel he is better than  Bruce and would drag us over the line - something I am less than confident Bruce can do.

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess you could also argue that Sparky being a world renowned footballer ( I didn't say class) might have better recruitment contacts and lure ?

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Hand on heart what would you say ? Stoke under Pulis ? Or Hughes ? I know who I would watch - listen I'm not bigging up Sparky to something he is not - I just feel he is better than  Bruce and would drag us over the line - something I am less than confident Bruce can do.

Well I'd watch Hughes too, but there's not much in it at all. I certainly don't think, first season aside, he has given them a different brand. 

He's tried, but it's not been successful.

This season they have been absolutely horrid.

I don't think he is better than Bruce. Certainly not by enough to gamble with this season.

Just now, Dave J said:

I guess you could also argue that Sparky being a world renowned footballer ( I didn't say class) might have better recruitment contacts and lure ?

Do you mean instead of 3 times premier league champion, 3 times FA Cup winner, League cup winner and European Cup Winner's Cup winner, for one of the biggest clubs in the world, Steve Bruce?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you mean instead of 3 times premier league champion, 3 times FA Cup winner, League cup winner and European Cup Winner's Cup winner, for one of the biggest clubs in the world, Steve Bruce?

That's a wind up Stevo - nice try 

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

That's a wind up Stevo - nice try 

No wind up at all. 

I was being a bit facetious, but a genuine question. 

Are you saying Bruce isn't a world renowned footballer, but Hughes is?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No wind up at all. 

I was being a bit facetious, but a genuine question. 

Are you saying Bruce isn't a world renowned footballer, but Hughes is?

Ok see as you put it like this - yes I am.

for goodness sake Stevo -  Sparky played for Barca as well and would be well renowned throughout Europe.

Now as for Bruce and this is where I like the guy - he was a no frills honest down to earth footballer who wore his heart on his sleeve and full credit to him for this - but you are wrong in my opinion if you think he shares the same profile as Sparky- but relax it's not likely to happen anyway 

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Ok see as you put it like this - yes I am.

for goodness sake Stevo -  Sparky played for Barca as well and would be well renowned throughout Europe.

I'm well aware of where Hughes played, thanks. I don't think a disappointing season at barca exactly gives him a massive reputation in Spain.

So to answer your original question, no, I don't think Hughes would have more contacts because of his reputation as a footballer.

I think hughes and bruce share remarkably similar reputations in the game, to be fair.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/902802/Aston-Villa-News-Championship-Sky-Sports-Andy-Hinchcliffe-EFL

Aston Villa news: Sky Sports pundit SLAMS Steve Bruce’s side

ASTON VILLA have “underperformed” this season, according to Sky Sports pundit Andy Hinchcliffe.

PUBLISHED: 14:40, Wed, Jan 10, 2018 | UPDATED: 14:46, Wed, Jan 10, 2018
  fb.png  
  tw.png  
  g-plus.png  
  m.png  
  sh.png  

c.png  

Aston Villa News: Steve Bruce's side slammed by Sky Sports pundit Andy HinchcliffeGETTY

Steve Bruce's Aston Villa side are currently fifth in the Championship table

Steve Bruce’s side currently sit fifth in the Championship table after a strong autumn made up for a poor start to the campaign but Hinchcliffe believes they should be challenging for automatic promotion. 

“Villa are in the play-offs but you'd still argue they've underperformed this season,” he said.  

“In terms of quality and experience they've got one of the best squads the Championship has ever seen, but they still haven't really threatened the top two yet.”

Villa have been without skipper John Terry since November while star striker Jonathan Kodjia has been absent for most of the season. 

Bruce’s men struggled for results in December but returned to winning ways by thumping Bristol City on New Year’s Day. 

And ex-Sheffield Wednesday left-back Hinchcliffe believes that result can kickstart their promotion hopes. 

He said: “John Terry has been a big loss in defence and they've missed Jonathan Kodjia for large chunks of the campaign, but the win against Bristol City felt like the first time they've really clicked this season and they should kick on from here. 

“They're battling hefty expectation but they should still be one of the sides who really pressDerby.”

Aston Villa News: Steve Bruce's side slammed by Sky Sports pundit Andy HinchcliffeGETTY

Andy Hinchcliffe believes Aston Villa should be challenging for automatic promotion

A new striker is high on the agenda for Bruce but he has no money left in the kitty due to Financial Fair Play limitations. 

Hinchliffe believes it will be all quiet on the transfer front for Villa, and said: “They've had a huge turnover of players since their relegation and they could do with more time for everyone to gel. 

“There's no reason why their current squad isn't enough to win promotion.”

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm well aware of where Hughes played, thanks. I don't think a disappointing season at barca exactly gives him a massive reputation in Spain.

So to answer your original question, no, I don't think Hughes would have more contacts because of his reputation as a footballer.

I think hughes and bruce share remarkably similar reputations in the game, to be fair.

Well I believe you to be wrong- but this is a forum and my view is no more or less relevant than yours - I guess as always we agree to disagree Stevo

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

TBF I know 3 villa fans that think Bruce should have been out some months ago, and 3 others that think he's doing a good job turning us around from how terrible we were and should be given till the end of the season at least, and likely beyond.

in other words, your sample size is a bit small to be taken too seriously.

On the other hand, my sympathies for knowing 3 Stoke fans, that's tough brother.

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

For me Sparky operating at his maximum capacity week in week out is a mid table prem manager - For me Bruce is not and neither is the football he produces.

I agree.

In fact, I just had a quick look and with the exception of last season (13th) and the season he took over at QPR to avoid relegation, Hughes has finished in the top 10. 

Edited by jim

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

TBF I know 3 villa fans that think Bruce should have been out some months ago, and 3 others that think he's doing a good job turning us around from how terrible we were and should be given till the end of the season at least, and likely beyond.

in other words, your sample size is a bit small to be taken too seriously.

I wasn't asking for it to be taken seriously or to respresent the entire Stoke fanbase. I specifically said it was their opinion.

It's hard to argue with them this year though. 

Â