Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Bruce's problem and he’ll revert to it is he picks his experi nice day favourite regardless of form. He hasn’t the bottle to upset old pros. Injuries force him to try other players more than anything else. Elphick being a prime example. We won yesterday but let’s not get carried away just yet.  

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A female steward tried her best, asking them on several different occasions to pipe down - if nothing else, for the benefit of the large number of small children in close proximity - but they weren't to be told. 

Sadly, I think this is the entitled mind of too many football fans. I get to call the manager repeatedly by the foulest words in the English language AND I get to demand an apology for my hurt feelings after he says there's an atmosphere of 'hysteria' in a post-match interview. 

So what do you think should be done if people behave like that and refuse to moderate their behaviour or language when requested?

I would have thought the stewards should ask the police to speak to them, to say they are out of order and need to stop.  After that, if it continues, remove them, and maybe either move them to empty seats in a different stand, eject them, or arrest them, depending on the extent of the misconduct and whether it's serious enough to warrant (sorry) a charge.  After that, identify them and how they got their tickets, and either warn them about future conduct, or prevent them buying in their own name in future, or from buying in that stand, or if season ticket holders then either move them or cancel the tickets, again depending on the extent of misconduct.

From what you say it seems the stewarding team simply accepted that there was nothing that could be done, and they had to be allowed to continue with what they were doing.  Does ths club actually feel they are powerless to dsal with this?

But harrassment by a handful of individuals should not result in ill-judged comments about mass hysteria, and I doubt that was what was in his mind anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A female steward tried her best, asking them on several different occasions to pipe down - if nothing else, for the benefit of the large number of small children in close proximity - but they weren't to be told. 

Sadly, I think this is the entitled mind of too many football fans. I get to call the manager repeatedly by the foulest words in the English language AND I get to demand an apology for my hurt feelings after he says there's an atmosphere of 'hysteria' in a post-match interview. 

I have to be honest some people forget what being a fan means.  I have sat in various places with my kids listening to drunken idiots laying into whichever player is within earshot in base terms.  I am not a Bruce fan, but I do support the team, perhaps those who seemingly turn up to vent should stay at home!

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would have probably agreed with this a few weeks ago, or at least thought it was a better point. Then I sat next to the dugout for the game against Millwall, in the second half of which three 'gentlemen' sat three or four rows behind Bruce took it upon themselves to call him a 'word removed' at about 150 decibels, about 50 times each. It was all they did, all half. 

I think football fans are generally pretty poorly-placed to moan about civility. If you're the sort of person who shouts abuse at someone else in public, frankly you should be able to take some pretty mild shots back. 

To be fair, I sit there all the time and I recall the 3 you mentioned, the one guy was especially horrible. This was very much a one off though and I haven't seen or heard from them before or after this match, it is usually good natured banter. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Unless I have lost my mind, didn't you say about a page ago "When people go on about us spending a load of money it is insinuating we have a star studded squad like Wolves or something?"

I did. We haven't got a squad like Wolves.

What I didn't say or do, what nobody has said or done, was -

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can handle most defenses and excuses, but trying to downplay the "squad" or insinuate that poor Brucey has had to work wonders with a little money, and we are all just expecting too much is laughable.

We've spent good money, more than most.

We've got a good squad, better than most.

We're higher up the league than most.

We should really be doing better. With a better manager, playing better football, we likely would be.

We haven't spent ENORMOUS sums on fees and wages.

I genuinely can't make it any clearer than that. If it's still not landing then I'm gonna have to leave it to someone else with a better command of the English language than I.

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Even if we win the champions league under him..... I will never support that word removed.....

Villa fans. Some of us have got the club we deserve.

Personally I'd rather see the club become Champions of Europe again than be 'right' on the internet.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Personally I'd rather see the club become Champions of Europe again than be 'right' on the internet.

I think you should read that whole post again mate. 

You'd think that Bruce was sneering into the camera and bragging about how good he was, based on some of the comments I've read about his post-match interview.

What I saw, was a guy speaking frankly about how he feels and to be honest, I don't think people jumping on his back every time we don't win helps us in any way. He's clearly feeling the pressure, which means the players probably are too and when you have a manager who is scared of losing, he'll generally go more defensive and we end up with 2 CDMs away at Brentford. Now I know that's his choice and I know that his style of play doesn't exactly buy him much time or affection but the negativity is so counterproductive, it's stupid IMO. 

We're 7 points off 2nd with half a season left to play, our best players to come back and the opportunity to strengthen a bit in January (maybe). It's not the end of the world. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, roonst83 said:

What worries me about Bruce is hearing him say how Elphick was only thrown into the starting line up for Boro as Whelan was ill, meaning Jedinak would’ve started at CB otherwise. It was the decision to start Jedinak at CB against Sheff Utd that cost us that game (in my opinion) as he was completely shambolic. I know Elphick has had his moments since joining us but we should absolutely be playing our players in their best positions. Tommy showed today that he can help us be solid at the back and, for me, is a far more suitable replacement for Terry than Mile.

Bruce continues to baffle me at times. 

And also what bloody awful man management. How must Elphick now feel? 

Instead of this nonsense he should have said Whelan injury meant he lost a midfield selection headache and how pleased he is that Elphick put in a tremendous defensive performance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I did.

I think that saying you'd still think he was a word removed even if he won Europe's highest honour probably makes what he said yesterday somewhat justified.

Nope you've missed it, not going to explain myself. If that's what you take from my post and you think that justifies what Bruce said, fair enough. 

51 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I read yesterday how some on here wanted us to lose, and backed it with money too.

No place for these people at Villa.

• Like 1

Looking at the wave of negativity sweeping this site after a tough, battling win away to one of our promotion rivals - exactly what we needed after a run of poor form - I Can only imagine how things would have been if we had lost. Hysteria and meltdown!!! :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Nope you've missed it, not going to explain myself. If that's what you take from my post and you think that justifies what Bruce said, fair enough. 

I have missed it then.

We broadly share the same opinion on him, but I've gleaned there is that you'll hate him regardless of success. It just seems a strange stance.

If that's not what you were meaning with the bit I quoted then yeah I've missed something.

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Looking at the wave of negativity sweeping this site after a tough, battling win away to one of our promotion rivals - exactly what we needed after a run of poor form - I Can only imagine how things would have been if we had lost. Hysteria and meltdown!!! :(

It makes no difference to be fair, win lose or draw it’s the same from the Bruce out camp.

When he loses he’s an idiot.

When he draws he’s and idiot.

When he wins he’s lucky.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What's this, a parrot?

Conversely, I quite like Steve Bruce, and although ultimately he may fail to get us promoted or hopefully he may succeed, to assume he’s doing anything purposefully to hinder our chances is ludicrous. I quite like him and to be honest, I doubt there is much he could say or do that would make me ‘hate’ him. 

To me, intent if everything, I genuinely think he’s trying to succeed here... why would he try and do anything different? As we know he may fail, as may any manager, but that will be an unintentional failure (if indeed there is any such thing as an intentional failure!). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I read yesterday how some on here wanted us to lose, and backed it with money too.

No place for these people at Villa.

So you're a better fan then, good for you. I've made up my opinion based on the last 15 months, where I've not seen one bit of progress made with Bruce at the helm. I want him gone ASAP, and the only thing that could change that is if he somehow altered his approach and got us playing anything resembling football again. IMO that'll not happen, based upon what I've seen. You don't have to share my opinion. Makes no difference to me, but suggesting I'm a lesser fan for taking a different stance than you do, is frankly pathetic.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 2

Â