Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Well please tell what job you think he would get incredibly easily higher up the pyramid? I just don't see it - Bruce in my view is a yesterday man and becoming more out  of of flavour with each passing season - the likes of him and Sam belong consigned to the corridors of the past

yes I agree he will work in the championship because this is his level

I don’t know what your point is. Your original post was along the lines of “he’s got 4 promotions in 20 years, please tell me what job he gets after this one”. Absolutely any job in the league he’s in, for the same reason he got this job. 

You have now shifted to him getting a job “incredibly easily higher up the pyramid” - something which literally no-one has said.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

So we won in spite of him and he is giving it the billy big bollocks in his post match comments basically.

As for his mass hysteria comments, Tony and Wyness were concerned enough to address the unacceptable form.

I cannot wait until we are shot of him.

It's a dig at his employers. The guys ego holds no bounds. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've seen this said by a few and I don't get it. With the drop in level and enormous sums spent on players in terms of transfer fees and wages, we shouldn't expect anything less, and even then what we're doing falls significantly short.

Not picking on you specifically, you're just the most recent person to post this.

We really haven't spent enormous sums on players.  Of all our signings, only Kodjia has cost more than the £12m we spent on James Milner over 9 (NINE) years ago.

We haven't come anywhere near what we spent on Darren Bent nearly 7 (SEVEN) years ago.  Since then the world transfer record has risen to £220m, and in the Premier League alone we'll have three players who have cost at least £75m.  Manchester City spent £150m on full backs in the summer.

The team we beat today, away from home, spent the thick end of £60m this summer.

I'm not saying we've not spent, clearly we have.  And I'm not saying Bruce shouldn't be doing better, as clearly he should.  I'm not even saying we've had amazing value for money with our signings, as the more we've spent the worse we've typically got.

But this notion that we've spent enough money to have bought the title in this division is just absolutely, 100% untrue.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not picking on you specifically, you're just the most recent person to post this.

We really haven't spent enormous sums on players.  Of all our signings, only Kodjia has cost more than the £12m we spent on James Milner over 9 (NINE) years ago.

We haven't come anywhere near what we spent on Darren Bent 6 (SIX) years ago.  Since then the world transfer record has risen to £220m, and in the Premier League alone we'll have three players who have cost at least £75m.  Manchester City spent £150m on full backs in the summer.

The team we beat today, away from home, spent the thick end of £60m this summer.

I'm not saying we've not spent, clearly we have.  And I'm not saying Bruce shouldn't be doing better, as clearly he should.  I'm not even saying we've had amazing value for money with our signings, as the more we've spent the worse we've typically got.

But this notion that we've spent enough money to have bought the title in this division is just absolutely, 100% untrue.

To add to this I've also heard the fact we have the largest wage bill in the league should mean we are top 2.

Lets not forget we also had a very large wage bill the year we got relegated. 

16 minutes ago, Dick said:

No issues at all with Jedi playing at the back, but I think Elphick deserves a bit more respect from Bruce. I can see why McCormack might have struggled, especially if he does have problems (whatever they may be) I cannot see Bruce being sympathetic. He probably thinks a ladies place is in the kitchen and Farage is a top bloke.

We all know its the bedroom and Farage is a desired taste.

oh each to there own.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

1. We have had only had a bad 45 mins recently. We should've lost against Millwall, poor 45 v Leeds, poor 70 mins v Sheff Utd, poor 90 mins v Derby and a poor 80 mins against Brentford. In fact after those games he commented after each game about how bad we were.

2. Adomah was on the sidelines because of Green's good form. He wasn't, he was on his way to Bristol City before Green got injured.

3. He talked about getting us into the playoffs when he came in last year and this year he was saying his remit was to keep us in the league.

4. Building the team around Grealish. Yet drops him after his first few starts and some good performances.

I could go on and on.

If I could be arsed, I would take the whole of this post apart but let’s just focus on the really loony bit, highlighted.

Grealish couldn't play because he sustained a freakish and really nasty kidney injury that required a long recovery period. He wasn’t “dropped”. :)

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To add to this I've also heard the fact we have the largest wage bill in the league should mean we are top 2.

Lets not forget we also had a very large wage bill the year we got relegated. 

And the money we have spent hasn't been spent on improving a good squad, like the big money most teams spend.

It's been spent sprinkling some glitter on a steaming pile of shit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

All of this is spot on.

We should be doing better and we should have bought better, but we don’t have a divine right to be walking the league because we’ve spent £60m on our squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sorry but you're benchmarking this to the wrong league. How many Championship clubs have spent more than what we have on the likes of Hogan, Kodjia and McCormack? Not many at all. For instance Kodjia probably cost more than the entire Brentford team that just outplayed us. We simply have spent an enormous sum on players for this level. 

A couple of days ago I listed 5 or 6 other clubs who have spent similar amounts to us since we got relegated.

You can say the word "enormous" as many times as you like, but it still won't make it true.

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We haven't come anywhere near what we spent on Darren Bent nearly 7 (SEVEN) years ago.  Since then the world transfer record has risen to £220m, and in the Premier League alone we'll have three players who have cost at least £75m.  Manchester City spent £150m on full backs in the summer.

Well said.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

All of this is spot on.

We should be doing better and we should have bought better, but we don’t have a divine right to be walking the league because we’ve spent £60m on our squad. 

The team we beat today had £40m worth of new signings in their starting line up.

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If I could be arsed, I would take the whole of this post apart but let’s just focus on the really loony bit, highlighted.

Grealish couldn't play because he sustained a freakish and really nasty kidney injury that required a long recovery period. He wasn’t “dropped”. :)

I think he was talking about him being dropped today. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he was talking about him being dropped today. 

Which would be a bit of a silly thing to criticise given he’s played the last few games in full, and we have a game in 2 days time. He was rested. 

But, hey, we all love sticks. 

McCormack, Hogan and Kodjia are our big money signings at £12m, £12m and £15m respectively.

This summer, Boro spent £17m on Assombalonga and £11m on Braithwaite; Reading spent £8m on Aluko (they may as well have signed his sister); Sheff Weds spent £10m on Rhodes; Fulham spent £9m on Rui Fonte; and Wolves have a dodgy set-up that enables them to sign players worth £20m for either less than their market value or on loan.

And this is just forwards.

If we looked at midfielders, even Small Heath managed to spend nearly £6m on one of them this summer.

There are plenty of sticks to beat Bruce with (and someone already beat us to it with the "ugly" one), but spending isn't one of them for me.

• Like 1

Â