Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ok noted, now I get it.

However, I still wouldn't write off the whole post as nonsense because a large section of fans feel the exact same way about the majority of it.

Absolutely... the article is great if you are anti Bruce - can I assume that you are?...it’s obvious that the writer is.

But, the context of the article is poor, in my opinion, because there is good reason for Bruce to say what he has said today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hold on, so do Wolves have a "Star studded Squad", or 2 or 3 Star "players"?

Either way  let's hand Wolves that, and move on to all the other teams above, and around us?

How does our "average/poor squad" compare to them?

Do we not have arguably a good portion of "Stars" from the last few championship seasons?

Including a Premier League winner, A premier League mainstay defender, plus, plus, plus?

I can handle most defenses and excuses, but trying to downplay the "squad" or insinuate that poor Brucey has had to work wonders with a little money, and we are all just expecting too much is laughable.

Literally nobody has said that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought the article was quite funny. 

It was, because its not mine or your job.

The problem is we could all write a piece supporting Bruce or castigating him and it could be quite feasible and believable.

but, in the majority of cases its driven either way by pre conceived views of the man...and what our initial thoughts are,on him, not in all cases, i might add, but many.

Now many folk will reject that notion as futile and child like, but sorry its true.

so many speculative notions are pedaled as fact, because the author thinks there can be no other explanation.....team plays **** football, so he must be ****.

Its feasible, but is it fact?

strong opinions can be convincing on both sides.....but thats all they are.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Absolutely... the article is great if you are anti Bruce - can I assume that you are?...it’s obvious that the writer is.

But, the context of the article is poor, in my opinion, because there is good reason for Bruce to say what he has said today. 

Painting everybody with the same brush is one of the biggest problems across all Villa fan sites now.

I supported Bruce all of last season (His part) and at the beginning of this one.

I liked him from way back in the older days (Premier League: Wigan etc) as he came across as an honest and straightforward bloke.

Just like everyone else lay off a bit when we have a great run.

However for the most part his decision making and tactics are baffling.

The straw which broke the camels back for me was/is the constant condescending mocking of the fans and absolutely farcical statements, EVEN when it is not required or asked.

If he had a better attitude alot of people would have more time for him.

We have had managers in the past who have been terrible but I genuinely felt for.

HE is no longer one of them.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Literally nobody has said that.

Unless I have lost my mind, didn't you say about a page ago "When people go on about us spending a load of money it is insinuating we have a star studded squad like Wolves or something?"

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Painting everybody with the same brush is one of the biggest problems across all Villa fan sites now.

I supported Bruce all of last season (His part) and at the beginning of this one.

The straw which broke the camels back for me was/is the constant condescending mocking of the fans, EVEN when it is not required or asked.

We have had managers in the past who have been terrible but I genuinely felt for.

I would have probably agreed with this a few weeks ago, or at least thought it was a better point. Then I sat next to the dugout for the game against Millwall, in the second half of which three 'gentlemen' sat three or four rows behind Bruce took it upon themselves to call him a 'word removed' at about 150 decibels, about 50 times each. It was all they did, all half. 

I think football fans are generally pretty poorly-placed to moan about civility. If you're the sort of person who shouts abuse at someone else in public, frankly you should be able to take some pretty mild shots back. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The straw which broke the camels back for me was/is the constant condescending mocking of the fans and absolutely farcical statements, EVEN when it is not required or asked.

I think there is a difference of opinion on here and it is interpreted wrongly at times.

There are some who:

• Hate the football,but give Bruce the benefit of the doubt to get it right.
  • defend Bruce purely out of the sense of reason and reject the vitriol aimed at him
  • some who see good things and bad things, but give it time for the good to increase.
  • some who despise the football on show and just blame him.
  • some who hate the guy and will pick up on anything to further their cause.

Its rare a bully recognises he is one and if someone despises someone for no reason or a feeble reason its rare they will admit to that and try to create good reason to make their case credible.....so I would suspect very few people will see the last category as them.

We all agree the football is not what it should, what seperates our opinions is the root cause of it.....and most of it is speculative on both sides.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Unless I have lost my mind, didn't you say about a page ago "When people go on about us spending a load of money it is insinuating we have a star studded squad like Wolves or something?"

Wolves have been able to bring in a certain calibre of player that we haven’t be able to match, because of the setup that they have there. These players wouldn’t look out of place in a decent La Liga side. They have spent a large quantity of cash in doing this. 

We’ve spent a decent amount also, but on players that have performed well at the level that we are at - with the exception of Terry. Let’s not forget, with regards to Terry, there were other teams who were willing to pay him a higher weekly wage than what we were... 

We dont have a star studded squad, however we have a good squad of proven championship players who probably should be playing better football than what we see at the moment. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would have probably agreed with this a few weeks ago, or at least thought it was a better point. Then I sat next to the dugout for the game against Millwall, in the second half of which three 'gentlemen' sat three or four rows behind Bruce took it upon themselves to call him a 'word removed' at about 150 decibels, about 50 times each. It was all they did, all half. 

I think football fans are generally pretty poorly-placed to moan about civility. If you're the sort of person who shouts abuse at someone else in public, frankly you should be able to take some pretty mild shots back. 

Disappointing.....how can any manager do a job with that in your ear.

And that is exactly my point....but invariably they can't, take it back.

Its stuff like that, that i was not aware of, focus's the perspective of having an open mind on criticising him for having a pop back.

I am sure his comments were not aimed at any of us on here

Ps The club should stop that....it ain't right.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Hang on a moment, some of you said that we shouldn't get all upset over the off the odd loss and that we were overreacting when Bruce strung some results together. 

Yet a couple of you who haven't said diddly squat the last few weeks, come on here and start banging on about what is an odd win amongst some poor results. 

I have no problem with people supporting Bruce, what I do have a problem with is the double standards a few of you operate under the guise of. 

A loss Monday night would see you disappear back into your bottle :D

Edited by Villan_of_oz

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Hang on a moment, some of you said that we shouldn't get all upset over the off the odd loss and that we were overreacting.

Yet a couple of you who haven't said diddly squat the last few weeks, come on here and start banging on about what is an odd win amongst some poor results. 

I have no problem with people supporting Bruce, what I do have a problem is the double standards you operate under the guise of. 

Wins do have a habit of altering the frustration/ composure in a post.

We all want wins, like a dog wants a bone.....and when we don't get one it influencies what we write.....shouldn't but we are human.....i think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Our owner set the target of automatic promotion averaging 2 points a game. 

Don't think anyone thinks we have a divine right to piss the league based on what we spent. But like our owner, a lot of fans had high expectations based on the money spent putting together the squad. 

I think that automatic promotion being the aim is totally fair and I'd imagine 75% of fans would agree with that. I personally don't base that on the money we have spent as I think we have pissed a lot of money up the wall and under Bruce we have actually turned a very decent profit and reduced the wage bill. I did though base my aims for the club based on the fact that I think Bruce has put a very good squad together and for that he does deserve credit.

He can't have it both ways though and be praised for putting a very good squad together and then not be criticized for having so far failed to get the best out of it, although I do acknowledge we have had some dire luck with injuries.

Despite having reservations about the manager I am still pretty confident we can get automatic promotion this season but we can't afford to have another blip like the two we have already had this season, both at the start of the season and for pretty much the whole of December. I think to help that along it would help if we are all pulling in the same direction so Bruce would probably be well advised to stop making the kind of comments he did today and we as a fan base to keep showing the kind of vocal backing/support we did today which was apparently excellent. 

I guess the bottom line is though that more results like today and the rest takes care of itself and these side shows/meaningless bollocks doesn't rear its head. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Just now, TRO said:

Wins do have a habit of altering the frustration/ composure in a post.

We all want wins, like a dog wants a bone.....and when we don't get one it influencies what we write.....shouldn't but we are human.....i think.

No problem with sway an emotion of results TRO, my point was more directed at one poster in particular who only jumps on here when results are positive to talk Bruce up but literally won't come to his defense when results are otherwise. 

We have a saying for that in Australia. 

The saying is 'Front runner'

Whilst I am really happy with beating Boro it does not sway my view of things.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Disappointing.....how can any manager do a job with that in your ear.

And that is exactly my point....but invariably they can't.

Its stuff like that, that i was not aware of, focus's the perspective of having an open mind on criticising him for having a pop back.

I am sure his comments were not aimed at any of us on here

Ps The club should stop that....it ain't right.

A female steward tried her best, asking them on several different occasions to pipe down - if nothing else, for the benefit of the large number of small children in close proximity - but they weren't to be told. 

Sadly, I think this is the entitled mind of too many football fans. I get to call the manager repeatedly by the foulest words in the English language AND I get to demand an apology for my hurt feelings after he says there's an atmosphere of 'hysteria' in a post-match interview. 

• Like 2

I hadn't bothered until now but just read some of his post match comments. 

SB wants to get personal with the fans so be it, just makes his exit all the more enjoyable. 

Even if we win the champions league under him..... I will never support that word removed.....

I won't delete the above post but I hadn't heard about fans abusing him during a game..... that is just plain moronic.

However he probably should've pointed out that's who he was shutting up in press conference. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A female steward tried her best, asking them on several different occasions to pipe down - if nothing else, for the benefit of the large number of small children in close proximity - but they weren't to be told. 

Sadly, I think this is the entitled mind of too many football fans. I get to call the manager repeatedly by the foulest words in the English language AND I get to demand an apology for my hurt feelings after he says there's an atmosphere of 'hysteria' in a post-match interview. 

Something should be done, better screening or whatever.....its not fair for composed fans sitting in close proximity either...or the kids.

all big boys with a belly full of booze.

We all think we know better than the manager, always have done, probably the same at all clubs.....they don't realise what fools they look screaming expletives no doubt.

If they had the job, you would probably see a steaming turd at the gates of bodymoor on the first morning or first press conference.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

What is your view on things? 

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but if you aren't I am in the camp of not believing that Bruce has anything to offer this club long term.

I understand fully why we don't sack but I still want him sacked.

If he gets us promoted... great! I still want him sacked.

However I don't condone abusing him during a game or commenting on his likeness to certain vegetables etc etc

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I hadn't bothered until now but just read some of his post match comments. 

SB wants to get personal with the fans so be it, just makes his exit all the more enjoyable. 

Even if we win the champions league under him..... I will never support that word removed.....

I won't deleteu post but I hadn't heard about fans abusing him during a game..... that is just plain moronic.

However he probably should've pointed out that's who he was shutting up

He should be specific, i agree.

• Like 1

Â