Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Well, we had a bit of a brainstorm and it was decided we should do something special to mark your achievement, so we spoke to the club and Tony's said they'd love you to receive the trophy, (a lifesize replica of Steve Bruce's head), from the man himself. Only slight snag is that in order to claim it, you'll have to tell him to his face, in less than one sentence (I know, I know), what you really think of him. Oh and the piece de la resistance is that once he hands over the trophy you get to sack him yourself. I know, right?! But seriously, no need to thank us. You've really earned this.

Sorry, I can't quite follow. Are you saying I was right all along?

Edited by Grasshopper

4 minutes ago, Basygh said:

I've had a shit day and need to let some of it out.

I wasn't happy with the appointment of Bruce. I could however see the reason behind it. He was proven at this level and have been promoted several times. He seemed like a good fit for the task at hand. I also knew that we wouldn't see beautiful football. I was hoping for wins, no matter what they looked like.

In 42 matches, he's won 59 points with a win ratio of 38,1% and 1,4 points per match. Bringing that up to 46 matches we get 66 (64,5) points. Last season that would have put us in 10th and an average position of 10th the last six years. You need close to 90 points, or 2 points per match to get automatically promoted. He's actually closer to half of what you need.

The end of last season was shit. 1 win in 6 and the trend continues this year with 1 win in 7. That means 2 wins in the last 13. In what world is that okay? Yes, I know it is a new season but the performance and tactics is absolutely unacceptable. It's as shit now as it was last season.

I said before I wasn't happy with the appointment and it's gotten so far that I feel hatred when I think about him. I can't stand the man any longer. I'm sad it has gotten this far and I'm afraid I won't be able to let it go. It's insane to feel this way, I know. I'm not sure he can win me over, I just want to see him gone and never hear from him again. Maybe I'm just crazy.

I feel you Bro

15 minutes ago, Basygh said:

I feel hatred when I think about him

Really don't understand that.  He's in a job he's not coping with.  The mad pay structure of the game means it would be very, very hard to walk away without a payout.  The owner isn't taking action.

I expect he would really like to be paid off and get away from it.  I can see why he doesn't walk, even if we would like him to.

It's down to Xia.  The appointment, failing to sack him, and if the earller comment about FFP preventing him being paid off and a new manager brought in is correct, that too.

I'm disappointed in Bruce and I would like to see him gone asap.  But hatred just seems totally misplaced.

Edited by peterms
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

Really don't understand that.  He's in a job he's not coping with.  The mad pay structure of the game means it would be very, very hard to walk away without a payout.  The owner isn't taking action.

I expect he would really like to be paid off and get away from it.  I can see why he doesn't walk, even if we would like him to.

It's down to Xia.  The appointment, failing to sack him, and if the earller comment about FFP preventing him being paid off and a new manager brought in is correct, that too.

I'm disappointed in Bruce and I would like to see him gone asap.  But hatred just seems totally misplaced.

Really don't think ffp is the reason he's still here - I think it's last chance saloon at Barnsley and maybe the decision has already been taken and they are lining up an immediate replacement as others have done in the past ?

Edited by Eastie

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He is finished. They are lining something up behind the scenes. Sacking him before a game just causes uncertainty and leaves his s**t coaches in charge. Better to have him stick around until there is a week before the next game. Then he's on his bike.

Wishful thinking. Plenty of interim managers have been put in place for 2 or 3 games while a replacement is found. If they planned to sack him they would have done it by now. He's here for another 2 or 3 games I bet. 

dont see the point of sacking sb, 

i can honestly say i dont thing villa will attract a better manager, it looks like the club has blew it ££ with rdm was in the building.

i see this team finishing around 9th if codga finds his feet before his sale in the summer to fund next years  spending to get out the league..were on a road to nowhere 

Just now, villa89 said:

Wishful thinking. Plenty of interim managers have been put in place for 2 or 3 games while a replacement is found. If they planned to sack him they would have done it by now. He's here for another 2 or 3 games I bet. 

How do you know they won't make the decision this weekend ? We are all in the dark until it happens and just because it didn't happen this week doesn't mean it won't happen next week . 

Maybe they are close to a replacement - we can only wait and let the tale unfold . 

27 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Really don't think ffp is the reason he's still here

I don't know enough about FFP to be sure, but someone said sarlier that the cost of a payout and compo to a club whose manager we take would count against FFP, and since we are apparently up against the limit, that rules it out.

Sounds plausible, but as I say, I don't know.

Just now, peterms said:

I don't know enough about FFP to be sure, but someone said sarlier that the cost of a payout and compo to a club whose manager we take would count against FFP, and since we are apparently up against the limit, that rules it out.

Very difficult to know. The cost of signing the two additional PL players we were apparently in for, would have presumably been as much / more than paying off Bruce and staff. 

That said - the financial landscape improves drastically if we are promoted - so if they think someone else is realistically likely to achieve that, and Bruce isn't, they should do it. 

I'm also not sure on the technicalities if you breach FFP in the year you get promoted. It's an EFL rule, not a PL rule, so don't know how it works. 

Given how much we spent on wages in the summer, and given we turned down initial money for Bacuna, and played hardball over the proportion of Mccormack's wages - I'd be surprised if his payoff would be the deciding factor in a decision. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

I think we are close to the limit but surely not that close we can't afford to change manager .

12 minutes ago, peterms said:

Maybe Tony has held this sum back in the 'budget' hence why Brucey only had £1m to spend apparantly..

£6m was being kept to bring in Rafa!  

I can't believe that a club can be stuck with a manager because of ffp. Surely failure on the pitch has a financial impact, so it is illogical to stick with the status quo. I don't really know but I'm assuming ffp is calculated over a period of time and not week by week. We can make adjustments during the next transfer window and if we do that with a new much improved manager the club will be in a stronger position to operate. 

I think that ffp has been used to some extent to keep Brucie's mitts off the family silver and save a bit for the new fella. I hope so anyway. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Interviewer: So Steve you've reached the 1000 page milestone. You must be proud.

SB: Well......it's been tough at times, I've faced a lot of criticism but I've stuck to the task. 

Interviewer: Do you think some of the criticism was unfair Steve?

SB: No, I think all of the criticism was unfair. 

Interviewer: But you are just above the relegation places Steve.

SB: Well.....that's just your opinion, I've not had loads of money to spend and the players are still settling in. 

Interviewer: There are reports of the club looking for a replacement, any comment Steve. 

SB: Talk to me when you've got 4 promotions and a thousand pages on VT Pal! Even Fergie didn't manage that. And don't give me all that about how many PL titles he won, most of them were down to me. I'm the best manager the world has ever seen. The FA keep overlooking me for the England job just like they did Cloughie it's a disgrace. I turned down Barcelona when Pep left, they were begging me to join them. I would have had that Messi bloke playing to his true potential and in his preferred position at Center Half just like me. He wanted me there, he said I was his inspiration. I've only been here since last Tuesday you know but the players have let me down and the ffp situation has left us woefully short at right back. Have I mentioned my 2000 pages on VT and 7 promotions? Amazing isn't it? 4000 pages on VT on 15 promotions! Count 'em 12000 pages and 28 promotions!!! 500000....

Interviewer: NURSE!!!

Is all :)that all true......or did you make it up?

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can't believe that a club can be stuck with a manager because of ffp. Surely failure on the pitch has a financial impact, so it is illogical to stick with the status quo. I don't really know but I'm assuming ffp is calculated over a period of time and not week by week. We can make adjustments during the next transfer window and if we do that with a new much improved manager the club will be in a stronger position to operate. 

I think that ffp has been used to some extent to keep Brucie's mitts off the family silver and save a bit for the new fella. I hope so anyway. 

It's tested over a rolling three seasons, so if we sack him now I think any compensation would be included. Much much tighter year is next season though, when parachute payments go right down (which would still include this season's compensation costs, if there are any). 

Agree though that it's hopefully not a decider - not sure I have faith that they'll have saved for the new guy though!  I really think plan A was all about getting promoted this year...and I'm not sure there is a plan B or beyond 

Â