Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'm not even sure if I want Bruce to go or not, but I kinda feel like I will be disappointed if he stays now :lol:

All logic kinda tells me that the smart move would be to keep Bruce, but I am fond of a gamble, and Henry would definitely be one. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Can we hit 2000 pages before he is gone?

Smash that like button guys, share, subscribe, comment down below.

What is the biggest Villa thread we’ve had on here?

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Well said. I fully respect fellow fans who do not like the way he sets up the team to play. Its a completely fair criticism and its fair to want him gone because of it. But its not fair to label him useless and so on. 

He didnt get us promoted but you know what? We played some pleasing stuff under Bruce and we won 47% of our games, when was the last time that happened? I am glad you asked, 1934. 

So yeah, if he goes I will be as excited to see what a new manager can bring as much as the next fan, but I wont be throwing a kick Bruce's was as I do. Hell I will even clap him if he rocks up to Villa park with another team, only if he loses mind :)

The concerning thing is......We are contemplating sacking him, to get a manager who will need to exceed 47% win ratio.

No pressure is there?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

The concerning thing is......We are contemplating sacking him, to get a manager who will need to exceed 47% win ratio.

No pressure is there?

TBF the expectations this upcoming season are completely different compared to the 2 previous ones are they not?

I'd be amazed if we go on to fight for the title regardless of who the manager is.

It's about rebuild, half of the squad from last season is gone. Among them Terry and Snoddy who likely played huge parts in the much improved team spirit.

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, sne said:

TBF the expectations this upcoming season are completely different compared to the 2 previous ones are they not?

I'd be amazed if we go on to fight for the title regardless of who the manager is.

It's about rebuild, half of the squad from last season is gone. Among them Terry and Snoddy who likely played huge parts in the much improved team spirit.

I keep seeing the word rebuild used... but isn't that what we are/were doing under Bruce?

The dressing room seems united for the first time in about 5 years, we are actually winning games on a regular basis and we have the basis of a decent squad. The majority of that is down to Steve Bruce. 

As fans we expected promotion last season and missed out. The expectation shouldn't change for me. 

We have lost Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Onomah, Axel and Grabban.... honestly the only players I would like to have kept out of those 6 were Snodgrass and Johnstone. 

As a club we seem to just default to "rebuild" every couple of years. I would like us to see Bruce try and complete his rebuild. 

• Like 1

Whats the timescale for today then ? - when would expect to hear something ?

My feeling is if we get to 2.30 - 3.00pm than that would point towards Brucie staying.

11.59 now - Anything could happen in the next half hour as they used to stay on Stingray !

13 minutes ago, omariqy said:

This is a fantastic article IMO. I've had twitter spats with Shelley plenty but this is on the money. 

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/the-media-silence-of-steve-bruces-under-achievement-at-villa/

Did she not get invited in to the canteen?

My understanding is ....He spent £23.5 million in Jan 2017......then he spent £2.5 mill in the summer of 2017....He also recovered £18 mill in player sales.

That was a net spend of £8 mill when I went to school.

Where do all these fantasy figures come from?

Just now, DrUnKeNbUm said:

I keep seeing the word rebuild used... but isn't that what we are/were doing under Bruce?

The dressing room seems united for the first time in about 5 years, we are actually winning games on a regular basis and we have the basis of a decent squad. The majority of that is down to Steve Bruce. 

As fans we expected promotion last season and missed out. The expectation shouldn't change for me. 

We have lost Terry, Snodgrass, Johnstone, Onomah, Axel and Grabban.... honestly the only players I would like to have kept out of those 6 were Snodgrass and Johnstone. 

As a club we seem to just default to "rebuild" every couple of years. I would like us to see Bruce try and complete his rebuild. 

And still the main reason for keeping Bruce seem to be "stability" despite building teams for 1 season at the time.

With this strategy it will always be a rebuild, every season.

Let's try building something long term, using players who are not on their last career contract and on huge wages.

It's OK we have different views on how we should approach this.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whats the timescale for today then ? - when would expect to hear something ?

My feeling is if we get to 2.30 - 3.00pm than that would point towards Brucie staying.

11.59 now - Anything could happen in the next half hour as they used to stay on Stingray !

If only we could get "Parker" back......He was some Midfielder.?

1 minute ago, sne said:

And still the main reason for keeping Bruce seem to be "stability" despite building teams for 1 season at the time.

With this strategy it will always be a rebuild, every season.

Let's try building something long term, using players who are not on their last career contract and on huge wages.

It's OK we have different views on how we should approach this.

I agree, a different approach is needed. 

I just feel we have the basis of a decent squad now compared to the utter dross we have had over the last few years. A couple of shrewd additions would be enough and I feel a promotion challenge would be a reasonable expectation. 

Â