Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Fwiw, I agree Steve Agnew played a massive part in saving Bruces arse from potentially getting the sack.

Make no coincidence our fortunes on all fronts have totally been "together" since the turn on the year.

Not this bollocks again, please! :lol:

If Steve Agnew (he of the utterly woeful track record with Middlesbrough) really does have the magic  powers attributed to him by some and managed to completely transform the side with a wave of his wand within a couple of days of arriving here (helped not at all by the fact that some of our best players were coming back from injury/poor form at that time)...

Well, I say massive kudos to the guy who recruited him and waited doggedly for 6 months to get him on while he was on “gardening leave”.

Step forward, errr...

Steve Bruce, the man who “saved his own arse” by recruiting someone to “save his arse”. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

It is different....But the likes of Ron or Cloughie only adapt to the surroundings or allowances of the day.....They would have to change and blend with the contemporary conditions.

It is very difficult to compare characters from one era to another, because they lay their bed accordingly to the era.

Steve Bruce himself is classed in some quarters as a Dinosaur.....I don't want to draw you on that, but I disagree, I think he his cutting his cloth according to what he has and he will change when he has progressed and has better quality at his disposal.

What do I honestly see Steve as......mid table Premier league up to top 6 manager.....I see Steve alongside Sean Dyche, David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Alan Pardew, Tony Pulis....that Company.

What excites me is that what Steve Bruce can do at a club of our size is an unknown. Yet he has demonstrated ability in his roles elsewhere.

Totally agree with you that different situations bring out different qualities in people, and perhaps, Bruce, with better quality systems and players at his disposal will bring better performances as a manager than we have seen from him in the past.

I mean just take a look at what can potentially happen at the opposite end of the spectrum, Paul Lambert, absolutely kicking all the goals you can with Norwich, then it all falls apart for him at Villa, momentarily at least.

The difference between say Lambert and Bruce is, Bruce seems to have a hierarchy that will be investing rather than pulling the rug out from underneath. So hopefully we're in for some success from top to bottom for the first time in a while.

Who's to say Bruce is limited to relegation battles and championship promotion?

Maybe he is, but we've not seen him at a club of our stature.

Edited by A'Villan

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

One thing you need to remember.. there is no smoke without fire.

What I mean by that is, theres no hysteria without Bruce ball.

He is now doing what fans have been asking of him and this team for donkeys. Good to see he is eventually getting it right after almost 16 months in charge.

No one can argue we are now going in the right direction.

The thing I don’t get considering the state the club has been in for years, how anyone really expected it to turn around instantly. 16 months is pretty good to be honest when you consider where teams like Leeds and Sunderland are now.

Im probably exaggerating but even the best manager in the world would of had a task to get us promoted last year.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 10:26, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't personally like Steve Bruce and never have (though we've never met of course) maybe it's more to do with my personality but I consider him synonymous with SHA just as I did McLeish.

I want him to do well obviously as it means we do well but I'm not convinced he's the right man for us.

I consider it an indictment on how low we've sunk that some people are excited by this and/or view it as a good appointment similar to the hype around Jedinak joining us.

I wondered 6 months ago how low we could sink and the answer, it seems, is boundless.

I just don't get how the person who wrote this can consistently moan about and mock anyone who is or has been negative towards the manager. 

Blows my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get how the person who wrote this can consistently moan about and mock anyone who is or has been negative towards the manager. 

Blows my mind. 

Blows your mind.

It was written 2 years ago mate.

I've never shied away from the fact that I did not want Bruce initially and was actually gutted we'd appointed him. I've referenced my initial views on SB many many times during later posts as it highlights that I am not nor ever was a SB 'fan boy' - something that I and others were accused of, constantly. 

The fact that I disliked the guy and didn't want him as Manager initially only strengthens my position in recognising all the progress that's since taken place but thanks for bringing it up and highlighting it even further.

edit - and in case you feel like digging around for some more posts have a look for one shortly after the 3-0 defeat to Cardiff this season where for me, it seemed like he'd lost the dressing room, the second half was so abysmal. I wrote that if he has/had indeed lost the dressing room then time for him to go, thankfully he hadn't lost the dressing room.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Confused 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think we can determine if Bruce has done a good job or not until the end of season. 

Everything until then is noise. 

True, but it's fair to assume that as of this moment, sacking him at any point until now would have almost certainly been detrimental for us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

True, but it's fair to assume that as of this moment, sacking him at any point until now would have almost certainly been detrimental for us.

Agree with that. If he was to be sacked it had to be the end of the last season. 

Also maybe if had results not performed after the poor start. 

I'm not a fan of Bruce but I never thought the blip in December would last. 

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Blows my mind. 

To be honest I think that is a bit unfair it was a post 2 years ago there has been massive progress since then 

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To be honest I think that is a bit unfair it was a post 2 years ago there has been massive progress since then 

Of course there has. I just don't get how someone can be ultra negative and express serious doubts and concerns and then spend so much time taking the piss or moaning about anyone who has done the same. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Blows your mind.

It was written 2 years ago mate.

I've never shied away from the fact that I did not want Bruce initially and was actually gutted we'd appointed him. I've referenced my initial views on SB many many times during later posts as it highlights that I am not nor ever was a SB 'fan boy' - something that I and others were accused of, constantly. 

The fact that I disliked the guy and didn't want him as Manager initially only strengthens my position in recognising all the progress that's since taken place but thanks for bringing it up and highlighting it even further.

edit - and in case you feel like digging around for some more posts have a look for one shortly after the 3-0 defeat to Cardiff this season where for me, it seemed like he'd lost the dressing room, the second half was so abysmal. I wrote that if he has/had indeed lost the dressing room then time for him to go, thankfully he hadn't lost the dressing room.

Haha

So it's a badge of honour then? That's why you're so critical and mocking of any others who were or are negative towards him.

It's ok for you to be super negative and have serious doubts, but anyone else doing it or who did express them previously deserve your criticism and piss taking responses. 

Mind blowing. 

Â