Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

So to avoid the topic of conversation ebbing and flowing, we need to work this one out - Steve Bruce, yes or no? I'd love to hear some more opinions about whether he's good or not without straying into discussing context.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Sounds a bit like heads you lose, tails you lose......if they come through on his watch its down to him.......good or bad, you can't be selective.

didn't see folk falling over themselves to credit Vic Crowe for Brian little etc.....the glory was on Ron's watch so he got the praise.

I praised Vic on here a few months ago. He did a great job and was unlucky to get the boot. Of course our immediate history after Vic was wonderful and so all of Vic's ground work is generally forgotten. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

i never meant it in the context you put it.

i was merely pointing the bashing he has received from some quarters.....i just hope if we do fly.....they recognise it.

at present if we won every match, i would be unsure of it.

Oh I think he'd win most people over with a 100% win record! Although I might have a moan if we get to the 45th 1-0 win and he doesn't play a more attacking formation in the last game of the season :D

• Like 1

Bruce also revealed how Villa had been working all summer to work on a formation that got the best out of the No.10.

Grealish started in an attacking midfield role behind Gabby Agbonlahor as the lone striker and Bruce was considering that system for the season-opener against Hull City.

My system in pre-season was geared around Grealish and how to get the best out of him.

“He came back flying, which was good to see after he’d been away with England.

Almost sounds like... he's getting his excuses in already?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/injury-update-bad-news-aston-13417286

• Like 2

No amount of excuses will cut it.

Either he gets us promoted or he's getting the sack.

Even then i can still see him getting the sack because we will come straight back down if he tries to manage us in the prem and a more progressive man will be needed imo.

Edited by AshVilla

On 7/30/2017 at 23:27, NurembergVillan said:

We're wandering into off topic territory here, as the discussion point is Steve Bruce.

Lets get back onto that please.

thanks for the reminder, but we are talking about Steve Bruce's ( SB)handling of the academy....please enlighten.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

No amount of excuses will cut it.

Either he gets us promoted or he's getting the sack.

Even then i can still see him getting the sack because we will come straight back down if he tries to manage us in the prem and a more progressive man will be needed imo.

Yeah pretty much

The board do not want to hear any excuses. He will be out if does not produce the goods in the first 6. 

The board have learnt from RDM last season

Crazy that we could have a new manager this time next month 

I went to 4 pre-season games and watched the Germany thing online.

The only time I recall Grealish playing a remotely Number 10 roll was against Watford.

Surely Bruce can't seriously be saying  he 'geared a system' around him ?

In any event unless you have Messi you don't gear a system round one man ?

Baffling at best.

Just now, terrytini said:

I went to 4 pre-season games and watched the Germany thing online.

The only time I recall Grealish playing a remotely Number 10 roll was against Watford.

Surely Bruce can't seriously be saying  he 'geared a system' around him ?

In any event unless you have Messi you don't gear a system round one man ?

Baffling at best.

Sssshhh Bruce was hoping nobody noticed that....

I don't think there is a fan out there that thinks anything other than promotion this year is acceptable. If we fail to get that, or even seem on a course of failing, then SB would deserve the sack... managers have been sacked for less!

I do, personally of course, think that we will go up this season. I know SB doesn't necessarily play attractive football, but I think he can get us winning as he demonstrated last season in spells. As long as we win then I'll be happy, winning this season is a means to an end and not the end itself to me. When we're back in the PL I would love a return to attractive football, but at the moment I think it's a luxury. 

You can't build a system around one player anyway so that simply won't wash with the Villa faithful. We have plenty of players for all areas and he simply needs to get the best out of whoever plays where - no excuses this time.

I'm not getting the reaction to Bruce's comments about Grealish. 

Criticised because he doesn't promote youth and doesn't put his faith in attacking players. 

Says he was trying to build a team around the brightest academy talent in recent years. He's making excuses. 

I cannot in anyway see how the comments in that article are an attempt to downplay expectation or make excuses for something that hasn't even happened. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'm not getting the reaction to Bruce's comments about Grealish. 

Criticised because he doesn't promote youth and doesn't put his faith in attacking players. 

Says he was trying to build a team around the brightest academy talent in recent years. He's making excuses. 

I cannot in anyway see how the comments in that article are an attempt to downplay expectation or make excuses for something that hasn't even happened. 

Playing Grealish has nothing to do with promoting youth, absolutely nothing.

And yes, I think he is making excuses.

He is saying pre season has been all about building a team around Grealish yet pre season games really haven't given any real indication that was the case.

It is quite easy to see why people think he is getting excuses in early, they are such negative comments from Bruce.

He has signed Whelan, Elmo, Hourihane and Lansbury yet we are supposed to believe the whole team is built around Grealish. 

Yes losing Grealish is a blow but given the above and the other resources at his disposal I don't think these sort of comments should be coming from him.

He should be saying something like 'Yes it's a blow, he has been great in pre season and he was a big part of my plans but we've got plenty of really good players...' etc etc.

That he isn't doing this, that he has said what he has said smacks of getting excuses in before he season starts to cover himself if the results aren't good.

The resources he has and has signed, losing one player especially one who frankly has been so incapable of producing on a regular basis, shouldn't be that big of a blow.

• Like 4

I think Bruce is man-managing this personally. Grealish was buzzing coming back into pre-season which he states. The lad has suffered a nasty and very unfortunately timed injury. He is probably proper gutted right now. 

I think these comments are a public 'arm round the shoulder' of grealish who strikes me as the type of player that needs that. A sort of, when you're back fit again Jack, work you're arse off and there's a place in the team for you. 

Certainly not 'excuses' already. Not for me. I suppose we all look at things differently and with differing mentalities though. 

• Like 3

Â