Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Pre-season, just drop the lot of them - Bear Grylls style - into the Pacific ocean somewhere close to an isolated island, armed with a Swiss army knife and a compass. Go back three weeks later and all those that survived, together with having had the creativity to make a ball and play football with it every day, get to stay at the club next season and be part of the first team. 

or send in Vinnie Jones et al for a few weeks intro/crash course in to Wimbledon style.

32 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You could well be right but if we can’t attract a manager from Huddersfield then something is perhaps seriously amiss.

That isn’t me giving it the big un as an Aston Villa fan looking down on little old Huddersfield. That is me looking at the words of our owner who has stated that he wants us to be one of the top clubs in the country inside 5 years.

To do that then we should be able to attract any manager currently managing in the Championship all bar maybe Benetiz. Clubs with huge ambitions and the resources to back them up have been able to attract managers way above where their current position suggests they should be able to attract. We even did it ourselves with O’Neill whose stock was high at the time and he came to us when we had just finished 16th. He came due to the promise of being backed and the potential to achieve something special.

A manager at any club in the Championship or at a number of clubs in the Premier League, such as Burnley and Bournemouth, should be aware that Aston Villa have huge ambitions, the resources to realise those ambitions, big fan base, great stadium, excellent training facilities etc. They should be chomping at the bit to come here.

I don’t know if Wagner is the right man for us but if that is who we want then we should be able to get him. If the likes of Wagner are out of our reach now then I’d say being at the top end of the Premier League inside 5 years is a total pipe dream.

I think it always was a pipe dream.

FWIW Mark I think some of us are looking at managers for "what we want to be" ......rather than "what we are".

I am sure in my mind a manager that would fit in to the category of a top half of the Prem manager is not right for us....right now.

I am also sure that our next manager should/could be short term as opposed to long term.....to get back some of the "street cred" that we can actually attract players.

David Wagner has caught the imagination of many fans.....will he be right in the Prem?......will he have success in the prem?.....Will his skill set be attuned to mixing it with the big boys.....will he be a short term wonder?

Our team has dropped so far.....I think it is old values we are missing, not so much modern day coaching stuff that is icing on the cake.....we have no cake.

Ps It seems most of our recruitment problems have come from Timing....and also taking the right risks.....Huddersfield obviously took a big risk on Wagner or their Intel was good.

Edited by TRO

The way I see if, if we get Bruce and do poorly to start with he will get time because he's been around the block and is proven at this level, if we get Warner and do poorly to start with he will be hounded out for being inexperienced and the wrong appointment and we are back to square one.

For that reason I hope it's Bruce. 

• Like 1

Some of the stuff that Wagner is getting praise for really is pretty basic. I'm not saying that as a negative on him, but it really highlights the shambles of football coaching and how far behind it is of other sports. 

I was addicted to this thread when we felt the axe was due, then when it came for RDM i was posting who i wanted. They've since been ruled out / gone quiet (proving what little i know, Hughton / Rowett). I'm impatient. Then as the days are passing, I realised maybe they're spending that bit longer finding the right man, not just a knee jerk appointment. I read on the Birmingham Mail site yesterday that we are formulating a ten man list and from that whittling it down to three at which point Tony is back from China and will be hands-on in the process. Fair play to Villa then. The international break is passing, quarter of the way through... but they're working on it. 

We never even used to know what Randy was up to, distant / absent / silent. Here we are in comparison, via whatever informed means, knowing that Tony is in China but he has his men on it in the meantime, progress not stalled in finding a successor. Clubs these days seem to line up their next manager before bringing down the axe. Seems we may not have been as forthright but our plan to bring our replacement is happening as we speak... exciting in a way. Would kill to know who the final three are. I could guess some of the initial ten...

Anyone know when TOny is back from China? No manager until late next week maybe. Hopefully sooner. 

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The way I see if, if we get Bruce and do poorly to start with he will get time because he's been around the block and is proven at this level, if we get Warner and do poorly to start with he will be hounded out for being inexperienced and the wrong appointment and we are back to square one.

For that reason I hope it's Bruce. 

Strangely I see it it as exactly the opposite.

• Like 1

Not sure forming a list is the right way to go about it. Villa don't have time for that. Indentify who you want and go and get him. Decent managers prefer to be first choice.

• Like 2

Given our season being handicapped by how much we are behind already, i think one of the key things in their interview process is to get from a candidate how quickly they can get all of our cylinders firing, minimal adaptation time, instant results, instant improvement. Pretty obvious I know but said up top there, about 'if we had a poor start', i think our right man when found will get us winning almost immediately and VT will be a happier place, and VP of course.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Not sure forming a list is the right way to go about it. Villa don't have time for that. Indentify who you want and go and get him. Decent managers prefer to be first choice.

Maybe, but what if the man you want doesn't want to come or if he does and further down the line in the process something isn't right with the deal or the objectives... then backups / alternatives are needed. 

Mate, I want to date Emma Watson but if i went to go and get her, she would probably call security. So i'll be otherwise flexible and consider others.

• Like 3

Just now, Midfielder said:

Mate, I want to date Emma Watson but if i went to go and get her, she would probably call security. So i'll be otherwise flexible and consider others.

Join the bloody queue, and no pushing in the line!

5 minutes ago, AValon said:

Villa fans don't have the patience for anyone with a long term plan. So it looks like Potato Head will do.

If it is him and he doesnt win in the first two games i wont have much patience in him either.  By choice as he will have to hit the ground running to stave off many fans like me.

5 minutes ago, AValon said:

Villa fans don't have the patience for anyone with a long term plan. So it looks like Potato Head will do.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion as I can't remember the last time we had a manager with a long term plan. 

What they don't have patience for is managers that are completely devoid of one and that is what we've had time and time again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AValon said:

Think this is untrue. Villa fans will be patient as long as there's clear progression. When things go stale or go backwards is when Villa fans lose patience. Which is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

I know nothing, but, part of me thinks, if they truly wanted Bruce he would be in post by now. 

Maybe they dont want a "risky" appointment that sees the fans have extra reason to turn on the manager if results dont go their way or are iffy.

• Like 1

It might be easier at this point to draw up a list of who I dont want rather than who I do want,  in terms of names.  For who I want then that can be dealt with by a list of skills / ability rather than names!