Pre match thread

Dirk

Happy enough with that selection, in the long run I hope Amavi replaces Cissokho, but he doesn't look sharp yet. So no problem with this.

Now it's all down to tactics, formation and instructions. Hopefully it will be a 4-3-3 with Grealish centrally in front of Jedi and Tish.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Still the same problem in the middle. We're Pretty much 4-2-4 again - it's a lot of pressure on Tshibola's young legs. If he can outwork their midfield, we win.

It depends on whether Ayew is played up front or as a winger. Hopefully it's 4-3-3 with Grealish in the middle but I suspect you are right and it's 4-2-4. Bizarre. At least adamoah is playing and he's a proper winger so we might get some width down one side.

Just now, AshVilla said:

Ayew tracks back alot so i don't think were as lightweight in the middle as people think

Yes, its hard to pin him down sometimes as to where he's supposed to be playing. If he actually passed it a bit more it might bring others into the game

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This line-up isn't necessarily as attacking as it looks. It could quite easily be a 4-4-1-1 with Grealish just in behind Kodjia and Ayew and Adomah on the wings.

The thing is though that Ayew isn't a winger and no-one really plays out and out wingers in a four man midfield anymore. In a five you could maybe say those two are wingers in a 4-5-1 rather than a 4-3-3 but neither of them are wide-midfielders; they're wide-forwards. When you then have a midfield two where one of them is slower than me (although a significantly better footballer) then you've got trouble.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This line-up isn't necessarily as attacking as it looks. It could quite easily be a 4-4-1-1 with Grealish just in behind Kodjia and Ayew and Adomah on the wings.

It could be but I bet it isn't. It's 4-4-2 in theory with Grealish and adamoah on the wings. But Grealish isn't a winger and can't play there so I don't think it will work.