Pre match thread

Dirk

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

BOF there is no way Grealish will walk straight back into the first 11 after all the issues of the last week.

RDM will make him sweat it out on the bench like Garde tried to do.

You're no doubt right.  I did say it's what I want to see, not what I expect to see.  But it's a balanced side full of threat and I think it would probably work.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Can we stop trying to shoe horn Grealish into the side by calling him a midfielder;  He isnt and if hes played there the team is unbalanced!

Play him up front or leave him on the bench!

I think his best position is at least worthy of debate.  I don't think we know it yet tbph.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I think his best position is at least worthy of debate.  I don't think we know it yet tbph.

Id say after 3 years Id be prepared to have a good guess!

He is not a central midfielder, at least not yet anyway.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

From reading all the various discussions I think I'd like to see the following (assuming they're all available).  I think Jack would do more damage inside and I think that front 3 picks itself.  We seem to agree that Villa's problem is a relatively under-stocked midfield.  All while trying to shoe-horn as much attacking talent as we can in up front.  This solves both problems.  We get to choose 3 forwards and Grealish can add a goal threat from midfield alongside Tshibola's inevitable marauding.  Having the likes of Gestede, Adomah & Gardner's goal threat on the bench means there are plenty of plan B and C's there as well.

df59f027e6244532148822933a72b76a.png

This please.

But switch McCormack and Ayew - Ayew cutting in on his right is (can be) a thing of beauty.

What's the injury situation regarding McCormack? Is he back yet (if so, I expect he'll be on the bench)

RDM has to stick with the formation for the second half against Newcastle.

I'd like to see the following

.................Gollini

Bacuna.Elphick.Chester.Amavi

Westwood.Tshibola.Jedinak

Adomah...Kodjia....Ayew

Subs: Bunn, Baker, Cissokho, Gardner, Gresford, McCormack, Gestede

20 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I worry you end up with this:

Gollini

Bacuna    Chester  Elphick    Amavi

Jedinak  

Tshibola    

Grealish

Ayew             

McCormack         Kodjia

With a huge hole in the middle of the field that Tshibola can't fill on his own. We're back to relying on either a perfect long ball or someone up front beating a few players and making things happen on their own. That's not to say it can't work, but I'd sooner have some semblance of control on games. 

You're probably right. Leaving that much space in front of our wing backs is asking from trouble, and I doubt Ayew is disciplined enough to track back often. Hmm... 

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What's the injury situation regarding McCormack? Is he back yet (if so, I expect he'll be on the bench)

RDM has to stick with the formation for the second half against Newcastle.

I'd like to see the following

.................Gollini

Bacuna.Elphick.Chester.Amavi

Westwood.Tshibola.Jedinak

Adomah...Kodjia....Ayew

Subs: Bunn, Baker, Cissokho, Gardner, Gresford, McCormack, Gestede

That's a very good bench! And you know what, there's nothing wrong with having talent on the bench. It gives us options later in the game. I imagine Barnsley would kill to be able to bring players like McCormack, Grealish and Gestede on. 

• Like 2

4 points minimum required from the next 2 games although 6 would be better. Barnsley may have lost their last 2 but they were decent before that. Lets win this one to start with! 

I would go:

Gollini, Hutton, Elphick, Chester, Amavi, Adomah, Tshibola, Jedinak, McCormak, Ayew, Kodjia.  

19 minutes ago, John said:

4 points minimum required from the next 2 games although 6 would be better. Barnsley may have lost their last 2 but they were decent before that. Lets win this one to start with! 

I would go:

Gollini, Hutton, Elphick, Chester, Amavi, Adomah, Tshibola, Jedinak, McCormak, Ayew, Kodjia.  

I'd rather see Richards, Bacuna, Amavi, or Lyden at right back before I see Hutton play there again.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I sense a win coming, and a Villa win at that.

I keep sensing a win, but it don't seem to arrive. We could easily lose this tomorrow. Really not sure how the rest of the season will go, but im still hopeful for the playoffs. Something needs to happen quick though.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I keep sensing a win, but it don't seem to arrive. We could easily lose this tomorrow. Really not sure how the rest of the season will go, but im still hopeful for the playoffs. Something needs to happen quick though.

I've been sensing a win for the least 10 games, but it hasn't happened for 9 of them.

6 points desperately needed from the next 2 games, but for now just a win would be amazing.

24 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I'd rather see Richards, Bacuna, Amavi, or Lyden at right back before I see Hutton play there again.

Hutton always gave 100% (although as last season demonstrated that is not always enough) and did not play up in the way that Bacuna and Richards did last season. Amavi is needed on the other side and although I think Lyden might prefer to play in the midfield I could go with him starting this one as an alternative to Hutton.  

23 minutes ago, John said:

Hutton always gave 100% (although as last season demonstrated that is not always enough) and did not play up in the way that Bacuna and Richards did last season. Amavi is needed on the other side and although I think Lyden might prefer to play in the midfield I could go with him starting this one as an alternative to Hutton.  

I will give 100% if you put me in a Villa shirt, but that doesn't mean I should be starting. Hutton just doesn't have what it takes to be a decent footballer anymore. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

I think Bacuna at right back has been absolutely solid so far, granted in midfield he is poor. He's been reasonably solid defensively and links well with Ayew going forward when Ayew is played down the right. If he can work as well with Adomah then its a bonus for the team.

Throwing Hutton back in would be ridiculous in my opinion. Richards should be the backup right back until next season when De Laet is back, just don't let him anywhere near that centre back position...

• Like 4

Gollini
Bacuna - Elphick - Chester - Amavi
Westwood - Jedinak - Tshibola
Kodjia --- Gestede --- Ayew

Bench: Bunn, Baker, Richards, Gardner, Cissokho, Adomah, McCormack

That's a £30mil+ attacking 3 in the championship, which should be enough to mean we don't have to rush McCormack into the team. 

If Jedinak does the defensive duties then Tish can be the link between the midfield and attack, with Westwood doing whatever he does anonymously. 

I've actually liked how we've looked whenever Gestede has been on the pitch, he might not be our most gifted player but he makes things happen and he puts the ball in the net.

The bench is outrageously solid if we're looking to see out a win or try to nick one.