Pre match thread

Dirk

On 25/09/2016 at 17:55, villa89 said:

I don't agree with this. He brought on Gestede to play hoofball and stuck codger on the wing. He got very lucky that we got a goal from a set piece. We didnt really look like scoring from open play.

We had a goal very harshly disallowed and hit the post amongst a few other decent chances. 

13 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I will give 100% if you put me in a Villa shirt, but that doesn't mean I should be starting. Hutton just doesn't have what it takes to be a decent footballer anymore. 

I do not disagree with your points above and I accept that we are short of choice in this position but I think we are holding up Bacuna's natural progression to a Champions League club by picking him week in and week out :)

12 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I think Bacuna at right back has been absolutely solid so far, granted in midfield he is poor. He's been reasonably solid defensively and links well with Ayew going forward when Ayew is played down the right. If he can work as well with Adomah then its a bonus for the team.

Throwing Hutton back in would be ridiculous in my opinion. Richards should be the backup right back until next season when De Laet is back, just don't let him anywhere near that centre back position...

I accept the points you have made about Bacuna to date this season and he is the best option when moving forward. I just think he has a mistake or several in him at the back which touch wood have so far this season not been exploited by our opponents. For me he burnt his bridges at the club last season in much the same way that Richards did. He would not therefore be my choice but he is currently RDM's so he goes again.       

35 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Di Matteo out if this happens.

He doesn't have a good squad of players to work with and he appears to be making guesses about tactics and formations on the off chance of stumbling on something that works. Sadly for RDM when you have 1 promising midfilelder (Tshibola) and 3 shit ones (Jedinak,Gardner,Westwood) the chances of finding a winning formula are slim. Playing Kodjia out wide is also a mistake IMO.

I don't think RDM has much of a clue and his summer spending lacked any real thought. He is now paying the price for it.

37 minutes ago, KHV said:

He doesn't have a good squad of players to work with and he appears to be making guesses about tactics and formations on the off chance of stumbling on something that works. Sadly for RDM when you have 1 promising midfilelder (Tshibola) and 3 shit ones (Jedinak,Gardner,Westwood) the chances of finding a winning formula are slim. Playing Kodjia out wide is also a mistake IMO.

I don't think RDM has much of a clue and his summer spending lacked any real thought. He is now paying the price for it.

CM is weak and it is an important position. I don't agree he doesn't have a good squad though, our attacking options (Kodjia, Ayew, McCormack, Grealish) are some of the best in the league. Defensively I would say we have 2 good LBs at this level, and 2-3 good CBs, then De Laet and Bacuna are both decent options at RB.

I think setting us up 4-3-3 in some games and 4-4-2 in others (providing Tshibola is one of the 2) should be enough to beat a lot of teams in this league.

Just now, AvfcTheObsession said:

CM is weak and it is an important position. I don't agree he doesn't have a good squad though, our attacking options (Kodjia, Ayew, McCormack, Grealish) are some of the best in the league. Defensively I would say we have 2 good LBs at this level, and 2-3 good CBs, then De Laet and Bacuna are both decent options at RB.

I think setting us up 4-3-3 in some games and 4-4-2 in others (providing Tshibola is one of the 2) should be enough to beat a lot of teams in this league.

We have great attacking options, sadly playing all of them at the same time doesn't work. I agree the left backs are okay and the right backs although deLaet was a crap signing. Still trying to work out why we spent money on a right back when we alreday had 3 but we did.

I'm not convinced by Chester or Elphick either, especially Chester. This squad has far too many flaws in to be any good, the other problem with the attackers is that Ayew, McCormack and Grealish are number 10 type strikers and Kodjia should be played through the middle and not wide. God knows what we are planning on doing with Adomah either and how he fits in and who misses out. I don't think RDM knows either, he is guessing

38 minutes ago, striker said:

Going for an uncomfortable win for the Villa to finally kick start the season.

Well we certainly don't do comfortable wins, so yes a win would be uncomfortable :P  :thumb:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KHV said:

We have great attacking options, sadly playing all of them at the same time doesn't work. I agree the left backs are okay and the right backs although deLaet was a crap signing. Still trying to work out why we spent money on a right back when we alreday had 3 but we did.

I'm not convinced by Chester or Elphick either, especially Chester. This squad has far too many flaws in to be any good, the other problem with the attackers is that Ayew, McCormack and Grealish are number 10 type strikers and Kodjia should be played through the middle and not wide. God knows what we are planning on doing with Adomah either and how he fits in and who misses out. I don't think RDM knows either, he is guessing

He does need to stop shoehorning them all into the starting XI, it's good to have options to change it off the bench anyway.

I've been disappointed with Elphick and Jedinak so far, but I think you are a bit quick to write signings off as crap, I mean Jedinak has started what 2 games for us? He can't be over the hill yet, he's played 90mins in the Prem for palace this year. I also thought DeLaet could have a good season, as he's 27 and was good at this level a couple of years back according to Leicester's fans, obviously we won't see him this season now to find out.

Barnsley haven't drawn yet.  They've scored loads, but also shipped a few.  Attack hard - this has to be a win.

If McScore is back on the bench at least and Jack's back in the good books, this might finally be the game where we see the first choice team and need to see a performance as a result.  1-3 please.  And at least a 2 goal cushion to make the last 20 mins bearable.

5 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

He does need to stop shoehorning them all into the starting XI, it's good to have options to change it off the bench anyway.

I've been disappointed with Elphick and Jedinak so far, but I think you are a bit quick to write signings off as crap, I mean Jedinak has started what 2 games for us? He can't be over the hill yet, he's played 90mins in the Prem for palace this year. I also thought DeLaet could have a good season, as he's 27 and was good at this level a couple of years back according to Leicester's fans, obviously we won't see him this season now to find out.

I meant deLaet was a crap signing as he is a right back and we already had 3 so I don't think he was a signing that was necessary, especially when we are crying out for another midfielder.