PieFacE

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'll be sad when wenger does resign. Its the end of another era.

It will, he's been part of the furniture of the Premier League.

Wenger's first ten years were so much better than his last ten years. I'd never say he's done a bad job, top 4 at least every year is incredibly consistent but they've stagnated over the years. They never look like serious contenders any more. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

I don't think I've ever seen Steve Bould with his arms uncrossed and out of his seat during a game, nor does he appear to have anything to convey to Wenger or the players. He just sits there like a garden gnome.

Bloody big garden gnome.

There was some talk earlier on the Sunday Supplement that Wenger might just sign a one year deal.

One year gives the board time to find a replacement (a proper replacement); whilst losing some of the players (Ozil, Sanchez etc) the transition with Wenger at the helm will be seen as a positive by the board.

The more I think about it the more I can see it happening. I'm not sure Wenger would want it to end this way with this season at the very least he wants to leave with the club in the top 4 I would've thought.

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

There was some talk earlier on the Sunday Supplement that Wenger might just sign a one year deal.

One year gives the board time to find a replacement (a proper replacement); whilst losing some of the players (Ozil, Sanchez etc) the transition with Wenger at the helm will be seen as a positive by the board.

The more I think about it the more I can see it happening. I'm not sure Wenger would want it to end this way with this season at the very least he wants to leave with the club in the top 4 I would've thought.

they are struggling for top 4 with Sanchez and Ozil so see no reason how they will get top 4 without them. Arsenal need a clean break

3 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Would the fans really accept that?

They see Wenger as the problem...he's still in the dugout. They enjoy watching Ozil and Alexis...neither are at the club.

Are Kronke and Gazidis counting their profit in pound coins or something...surely they've known since xmas that there might be a possibility Wenger might go this time.

Everyone says Arsenal are well run...to me the current issues show how massive complacent they are as a club and looks like it's going to blow up in spectacular fashion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would the fans really accept that?

They see Wenger as the problem...he's still in the dugout. They enjoy watching Ozil and Alexis...neither are at the club.

Are Kronke and Gazidis counting their profit in pound coins or something...surely they've known since xmas that there might be a possibility Wenger might go this time.

Everyone says Arsenal are well run...to me the current issues show how massive complacent they are as a club and looks like it's going to blow up in spectacular fashion.

'Blow up in spectacular fashion' is a bit OTT, no? Worst case scenario is they reached the Champions League round of 16, the FA Cup quarter finals, and finish the PL in 5th - 7th place. It's been a bad season, no doubt, but not that bad. 

Apart from ourselves, Leeds and Portsmouth, I can't think of any PL teams that I would describe as having 'blown up in spectacular fashion'. 

I'm not sure the fans would accept that no but if they rebuild properly they can achieve top 4 without Ozil and Sanchez, they have seen better players leave over the years in my opinion. I noticed in the papers today they are all stating he is staying, looks like it has been briefed directly from the club (international break no press conferences either) so it does seem very likely he will stay and sign a new deal even if they finish outside the top 4. It's hard to tell because we hear very little from them but I get the feeling the Arsenal board haven't a clue what to do when/if Wenger leaves and the fans ambition of winning the league doesn't in my opinion seem to be the boards so I can see that flaring up in the future. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Blow up in spectacular fashion' is a bit OTT, no? Worst case scenario is they reached the Champions League round of 16, the FA Cup quarter finals, and finish the PL in 5th - 7th place. It's been a bad season, no doubt, but not that bad. 

Apart from ourselves, Leeds and Portsmouth, I can't think of any PL teams that I would describe as having 'blown up in spectacular fashion'. 

Blow up in spectacular fashion = barely win a game between now and the end of the season so Everton......and West Brom finish above them (o.k maybe going too far now!) so they finish 8th (lower than the Bruce Rioch season), no Europe and Bellerin, Ozil and Sanchez all leave.

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I'm not sure the fans would accept that no but if they rebuild properly they can achieve top 4 without Ozil and Sanchez, they have seen better players leave over the years in my opinion. I noticed in the papers today they are all stating he is staying, looks like it has been briefed directly from the club (international break no press conferences either) so it does seem very likely he will stay and sign a new deal even if they finish outside the top 4. It's hard to tell because we hear very little from them but I get the feeling the Arsenal board haven't a clue what to do when/if Wenger leaves and the fans ambition of winning the league doesn't in my opinion seem to be the boards so I can see that flaring up in the future. 

Yeah that's my whole point....Arsenal fans are crying rightly or wrongly because they just don't want to finish 4th 15 points off top spot and crash out in the first knock our round of CL again.

I think Wenger purely staying on and just about achieving that will feel like another wasted year for them.

It's like say at this stage last season Chelsea giving Hiddink a one year deal for this season because they couldn't be bothered to go out and secure a world class replacement.

Instead they went and secured Conte and they seem to be doing o.k now.

This is their run in for end of season btw.....

Manchester City (H) -
West Ham (H) -
Crystal Palace (A) -
Middlesborough (A) -
Spurs (A) -
Manchester United (H) -
Stoke (A) - Loss
Everton (H) -
Southampton (A) -
Sunderland (H) -
Leicester (H) -

Winnable home games there but look at the aways they still have to play including that run of Spurs, Man. United and Stoke in a row. :lol:

Never beaten a Mourinho team, 1 win in Stoke on Trent since their promotion and Spurs are just simply better atm.

I think they need around 20 points to get top 4...don't see it from that run in.

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Surely he can't stay now? 

Wenger is the most stubborn man in the world. I wouldn't be surprised. Personally I think he is past his sell by date now.

On 3/10/2017 at 13:06, bobzy said:

They last finished 2nd...

...last season.  I thought I'd take a look at his reign from 2000/01 onwards:

2000/01: 2nd (beaten in FA Cup final)
2001/02: 1st (FA Cup Winners)
2002/03: 2nd (FA Cup Winners)
2003/04: 1st
2004/05: 2nd (FA Cup Winners)
2005/06: 4th (beaten in CL final)
2006/07: 4th (beaten in League Cup final)
2007/08: 3rd
2008/09: 4th
2009/10: 3rd
2010/11: 4th (beaten in League Cup final)
2011/12: 3rd
2012/13: 4th
2013/14: 4th (FA Cup Winners)
2014/15: 3rd (FA Cup Winners)
2015/16: 2nd
2016/17: ...?

Not bad at all.

I know this has already been said, but IMO those league finishes are redundant to a degree. Yes they come with the bonus of consistent Champions League football, but again this is something they have completely failed to capitalise on. I can't imagine that there is another club in world football who would allow such, admittedly subjective, failure over a period of over a decade to continue without some serious questions being asked. Chucking in a couple of devalued FA Cup wins (Hull and Aston Villa FFS ;)) and losing a cup final to Birmingham City doesn't do a thing to strengthen his case. 

I am struggling to think of an season over the last 10 where they were genuine title challengers, though I can think of a few where they stumbled their way to 4th place without ever even remotely looking like they might buck the trend. Also worth bearing in mind that they are fast falling behind Tottenham, a club they see as the noisy neighbour much in the way United saw City before the billions, or how we might see one of our 'local rivals'. How Liverpool might see Everton. To a club the size of Arsenal, this is unacceptable. 

Those questions are now being asked of Wenger and whilst it makes no odds to me really as an outsider I don't feel the answers coming from either him or the club are acceptable to their fans. I completely understand where they are coming from.   

They need a change in philosophy and dynamic. No better time than the present. 

• Like 1

Â