PieFacE

21 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How does bielsa manage to get such strong buy in from the Leeds squad then? 

I don’t think it was the language barrier itself, although it may have played a part.

Bielsa inherited a squad who'd spent the previous half decade in the bottom half of The Championship so there would have been more buy in from his players, Arsenal clearly have a bunch of very wealthy Prima Donna's on their books.   Obviously the language barrier wasn't the only thing but it does make it harder to get the respect of the players when you cannot communicate with them effectively.  Emery's accent when he did speak English just sounds funny, it must be so easy for people to take the piss out of him when he's doing that.  Just think of what it's like at any place you've worked at, the people on the ground will have a laugh at managements expense no matter what, sometimes that's healthy for morale but it can spiral out of control if the manager isn't respected by his team.   I've not no way of knowing this is what happened at Arsenal but Emery went from being extremely successful in Spain, to a figure of fun in England and as soon as he's back in Spain he's winning again.  In a job where communication is hugely important the language barrier has to be something of an issue.  

• Like 1

Just commented on the Wolves thread about how it's turned into the Leeds thread and now it's the same on the Arsenal thread...

Why are an irrelevant club like Leeds infiltrating every thread on Villa Talk? Either Leeds, Bielsa or both seem to be mentioned absolutely everywhere.

Anyway, back on topic, Arsenal look bereft of confidence but surely that will change soon.

There's a slim chance they will finish bottom half but won't trouble the bottom 6 come May. If they can get a result against Chelsea this week it could be a springboard.  

Good luck with that tho...

Edited by One For The Road

35 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Bielsa inherited a squad who'd spent the previous half decade in the bottom half of The Championship so there would have been more buy in from his players, Arsenal clearly have a bunch of very wealthy Prima Donna's on their books.   Obviously the language barrier wasn't the only thing but it does make it harder to get the respect of the players when you cannot communicate with them effectively.  Emery's accent when he did speak English just sounds funny, it must be so easy for people to take the piss out of him when he's doing that.  Just think of what it's like at any place you've worked at, the people on the ground will have a laugh at managements expense no matter what, sometimes that's healthy for morale but it can spiral out of control if the manager isn't respected by his team.   I've not no way of knowing this is what happened at Arsenal but Emery went from being extremely successful in Spain, to a figure of fun in England and as soon as he's back in Spain he's winning again.  In a job where communication is hugely important the language barrier has to be something of an issue.  

I think it comes down to individual reaction, I doubt the whole team were ‘laughing at his accent’.

Im fortunate to do a job where I speak to people all over the world every day, and I would never mock someone for trying to speak another language, I’m the other end of the scale personally and have nothing but admiration for someone who’s taken the time and effort to do that. It’s such a British thing to only speak English and mock others attempts at doing so, sadly.

• Like 2

Bielsa is a great man manager and motivator. Arsenal are clearly in need of structural reform - look at the appalling treatment of Ozil, the misuse of the furlough scheme. They just out of touch. They need the equivilant of a squad rebuild on FIFA to resolve it.

57 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

A punt on Henry or Vieira? 

Both have just been sacked after failing in France. Arsenal need to get away from the Wenger era

Bring in there own man with his own ideas. Somebody like a Simeone

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Both have just been sacked after failing in France. Arsenal need to get away from the Wenger era

I’ve been saying they should appoint him since before Wenger went. Perfect guy for the job.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Don't give them good ideas!

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve been saying they should appoint him since before Wenger went. Perfect guy for the job.

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Don't give them good ideas!

He would be perfect but I think he would probably be too expensive at this stage, he would give Arsenal back the nastiness they had before. People talk about the Invincibles as some purist team but they were absolutely filthy as well Lehmann, Vieira, Keown, Cole, Bergkamp, Campbell, Pires, Henry etc were all well capable of the dark arts

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He would be perfect but I think he would probably be too expensive at this stage, he would give Arsenal back the nastiness they had before. People talk about the Invincibles as some purist team but they were absolutely filthy as well Lehmann, Vieira, Keown, Cole, Bergkamp, Campbell, Pires, Henry etc were all well capable of the dark arts

I don’t think money is too much of an issue for Arsenal, in any case they’ll just make some average staff redundant if they need a bit more!

I agree on the rest of your post, it’s why I said they needed him towards the end of Wenger era. They had lost that edge, that defensive organisation and the will to win.

I’m not sure he would want that job now though, he is very embedded at Athletico it would take a great job to entice him and that’s not the Arsenal job these days.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Exactly why they are likely to go after one of them. Get the fans on side. I agree with you they need someone like Simeone, but someone of that calibre is unlikely. 

Simeone is also on a contract as Atletico that even clubs like City and PSG would baulk at earning €42m a year. Although I think he's had to lower his wages temporarily due to Covid.

Arsenal can't afford to match that.

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

A punt on Henry or Vieira? 

I can see Vieira being offered it. 

I think a lot of candidates would be put off by the whole Kia Joorachabin / Edu / Kronke Jr triumvirate they've got going on there.

Allegri who’s worked with the Agnelli family would be able to recognise thats not a serious boardroom.

Tuchel is one i think they could go for. He worked with Auba i think. Big enough name that the fans will give him time too.

21 minutes ago, sne said:

Simeone is also on a contract as Atletico that even clubs like City and PSG would baulk at earning €42m a year. Although I think he's had to lower his wages temporarily due to Covid.

If that's what it takes then if it were me I'd pay it to get him in rather than any new players.  A bit like with Liverpool, they got Klopp in and took a couple or years to get where they wanted but it's worth getting the right man in charge as the first priority.

38 minutes ago, sne said:

I never knew that.

A shade under $50m a year is mind blowing. I’m amazed the agents have the balls to ask for it.

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If that's what it takes then if it were me I'd pay it to get him in rather than any new players.  A bit like with Liverpool, they got Klopp in and took a couple or years to get where they wanted but it's worth getting the right man in charge as the first priority.

If €42m is what he’s on and i assume he’d happy he’s not going to quit his job for €42,000,001. It would have to be €50m, €60m PER YEAR to tempt him away. Don’t forget Arsenal recently tried to sack their mascot because they couldn’t justify his salary...

Its silly money. A good coach is valuable, but there’s no guarantees and he’s a very confrontational character too.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â