Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Has Smith even said this?

The Maher guy was just quoting from a press conference, now also being reported on the official site...

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2019/08/15/the-presser-bournemouth

On Jonathan Kodjia speculation...

We don't welcome offers.

Jonathan's happy here and we're happy with him.

We look forward to the Premier League season together.

We don't expect anymore outgoings.

So, yeah :) 

• Thanks 1

We are short and it would be a gamble but I think if we have a striker on 40k a week, hasn't looked happy in a while and a club prepared to take him off our hands then it would be very tempting to me.

I like Jimmy as a talent but I said months ago it would be for the best if we both went our seperate ways.

5 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Ankle sprain? How’s he managed to do that, didn’t see him run sat 😂

Most likely when he actually tracked back and put his foot in to make a block about 5 yards from our area. That was in his first few minutes on the pitch and had me hoping he was fired up for it. Obviously didn't quite do himself proud in his debut.

6 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Absolutely. On deadline day, when many of us were 'begging' for another forward of some sort, there were plenty of finger waggers saying we didn't need anybody, and that Kodjia was 'the man' and that we would be okay. I jumped on board that train (had no option really given no signing!), especially after Smith himself said that the Premier League suited Kodjia better... We're virtually united in our support of Smith, so Kodjia must be the man (!). Would be bonkers to sell him now, and I would be surprised if this progressed any further until January at the earliest.

I said all that too.....My worry is his physicality, Not sure he has the capability of showing any......I think technically he is capable, Physically not so sure.

Lightweight for me.

When he can shove a defender off the ball with his shoulders and smash it in to the net...I will know he has arrived.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

An injury this early to one of our strikers really hits home how weak we are in that area. 

Really think it was a mistake to just sign one forward

Hopefully Davis was just left out of Spurs game for "tactical reasons."

Otherwise if he is also injured (and let's not forget he's been injuries last two seasons that have kept him out of 18 for long spells) we will go into our second game of the season without an out and out forward as an option on the bench. Also this after spending 100m + on squad.

More I think about it more I'd be o.k with us taking on out of contract striker, just gives us more options whereas currently we're hoping Wes stays fit and he's still getting used to premier league himself.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I said all that too.....My worry is his physicality, Not sure he has the capability of showing any......I think technically he is capable, Physically not so sure.

Lightweight for me.

When he can shove a defender off the ball with his shoulders and smash it in to the net...I will know he has arrived.

He had a chance with the level he showed in 16/17...then the two bad injuries happened and he's looked a yard short since. Still had his moments like Brentford home early last season when he was superb but certainly optimistic to think he can be dangerous at prem level. At best he'll be a decent impact sub with 15-20 minutes left, Spurs with us 1-0 up wasn't really the game for that to happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

They say you can make any player look world class on YouTube, I challenge someone to try with Davis.. chesting it and laying it off clips all the way.

It's all about the obligatory shite soundtrack. Listen to it for more than 30 seconds and you will eventually slip into a deep, pop-trance-coma, where neat touches and muscular shoulder barges convince you the goals are coming in the next bit.

Edited by Lerner's Driver

5 hours ago, Junxs said:

I don't want this to sound like a pop at Davis, but I'm getting a bit fed up of hearing this

The less Davis plays the better he gets in some peoples heads

Hes big and doesnt get pushed off the ball easily, but to be brutally honest he literally does nothing else. He doesn't score, he doesn't create chances, he doesn't make key passes. But he's young and working on his game and has potential hence 3rd choice for a reason.. 

They say you can make any player look world class on YouTube, I challenge someone to try with Davis.. chesting it and laying it off clips all the way.

He creates chances by being big and not getting pushed off the ball. I'm not saying I want him to start every week but I think he deserves a chance in games. He's actually a very tidy, skillful footballer

Against Spurs Kodjia was the wrong option to bring on, we were stretched and needed to hold the ball up front to relieve the pressure. Wesley wasn't doing it well, Kodjia didn't do it at all. A battering ram like Davis would have been a better option.

Smith must have seen something in Keinan to have kept him in his squad this season. It's now up to him to prove it.

Well yes, but like I stated in the post match thread.. you cant name them both on the bench and the more likely scenario was that we'd be making a change to chase the game against spurs. So you can understand why Kodjia was the preferred bench option for Spurs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well yes, but like I stated in the post match thread.. you cant name them both on the bench and the more likely scenario was that we'd be making a change to chase the game against spurs. So you can understand why Kodjia was the preferred bench option for Spurs.

I’ve seen so many posts about how Smith should have bought Davis on I just assumed he was on the bench!

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefully Davis was just left out of Spurs game for "tactical reasons."

Otherwise if he is also injured (and let's not forget he's been injuries last two seasons that have kept him out of 18 for long spells) we will go into our second game of the season without an out and out forward as an option on the bench. Also this after spending 100m + on squad.

More I think about it more I'd be o.k with us taking on out of contract striker, just gives us more options whereas currently we're hoping Wes stays fit and he's still getting used to premier league himself.

A hybrid of Davis and Kodjia would serve us fine.

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

From what Deano said in his presser Kodjia twisted his ankle almost as soon as coming on but played through it. 

Actually agreed on Davis being the better option for that game though. Still hindsight and all that. 

Well that explains a bit.....if that is so, i cut him a bit of slack.

9 hours ago, Junxs said:

I don't want this to sound like a pop at Davis, but I'm getting a bit fed up of hearing this

The less Davis plays the better he gets in some peoples heads

Hes big and doesnt get pushed off the ball easily, but to be brutally honest he literally does nothing else. He doesn't score, he doesn't create chances, he doesn't make key passes. But he's young and working on his game and has potential hence 3rd choice for a reason.. 

Sadly, you are right.....but many, many players fall in to the category, "absence makes the heart grow fonder"...at all clubs.

Edited by TRO

Â