The Championship thread

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He tailed off at the crucial end but will still score 15-20 down here. He did that with us and Sunderland combined.

Pretty good signing for SHA if they pull it off, they lacked a reliable scorer last couple of years. Thought they were getting a transfer embargo?

He just seems a player who will score if put goals on his plate he will thrive but after that he doesnt do much for me

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He just seems a player who will score if put goals on his plate he will thrive but after that he doesnt do much for me

Think it's more attitude/motivation with him, bit like all the Collymore comparisons. He was great in the Wolves game, bullied their defence all night but then we hardly saw him in the play offs for whatever reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Forest, Derby, Leeds all look like they've strenghtened well to me.

Swansea and W.Brom are in transition imo. Bristol City have had a fair turnover of players this year. Stoke have been busy. Reading and Bolton have lots of free transfer signings and everyone else seems to have not done a great deal yet apart from the smaller teams trawling the lower leagues. Hull have got a few decent sounding defenders for this level in fairly cheaply. Boro have made a few Pulis-type signings. Hard to tell what Wigan and Blackburn might do. Not expecting a lot from Rotherham tbh. Norwich may offer more this year with Rhodes in there.

Got it all wrong last year with some predictions - didn't see Sunderland dropping off the cliff for instance, or Wolves happening.

Don't see too much to fear if we can keep our core together this week.

Think Boro and Derby will be pretty strong this year.

• Like 1

Leeds favourites for me with Stoke just behind.  Forest and Derby will be dark horses.

Think there are too many good teams this year for there to be a Wolves type pull away, which i think wll play into our hands too.

We will never get close to 100 points under Bruce but we will be close to 90, which puts us towards the top places.

Edited by Nigel

Stoke and Boro my favourites for top 2 but this is the championship of course, would never have predicted Cardiff in second last year.

At the moment I'd go for us to be between 7th-12th. We haven't got enough in the squad to be top 6 and I also have doubts about our defence and strikers but could all change with who we bring in.

I do think it's a good opportunity for the surprise packages of last season to have another strong season. Can see at least one of Preston, Sheffield United or Brentford making the top 6 as they've all largely kept their squads together.

Think Bolton and Rotherham will fill two of the relegated spots. Ipswich could well be the third, they've been in this league since the First World War it seems like!

• Like 1

Quite surprised to see such high expectations for Forest - presumably because of the Mendes link and Wolves last season?

Stoke look handy - I think they'll be the team to stop this season.  Outside of them, I think it's really tough to pick anyone.

Looking forward to seeing what Potter does at Swansea.  Obviously plenty of hype over him, but also some interesting signings of young players; I think Celina is a great bit of a business.

Forest have signed a mix of Mendes projects (not really heard of any of them so not sure they'll be on the same level as the Wolves ones) and also domestic signings like Grabban, Colback and Michael Dawson.

I'd say getting Karanka in was best decision. Guy plays boring football but knows how to organise a team down here and turned Boro around in 18 months.

• Like 1

Ipswich for me are a team to go down. McCarthy kept them fighting above there level on a nothing budget and fans wanted him out

They have added nobody of note either

• Like 1

IMO it will be pretty much wide open this season. Can’t see there being a runaway leader. Rowett has a history of bottling it, which may hinder Stoke who have been very active in the market. 

Derby have done some good business so expect them to be up there again. 

Forest have strengthened but will it be enough to climb right up the table?

We will be in the mix again. Leeds will be strong too as they’ve done some good business and Biesla is a wily fox. 

And of course there will be dark horses throwing spanner’s in the works. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Forest have signed a mix of Mendes projects (not really heard of any of them so not sure they'll be on the same level as the Wolves ones) and also domestic signings like Grabban, Colback and Michael Dawson.

I'd say getting Karanka in was best decision. Guy plays boring football but knows how to organise a team down here and turned Boro around in 18 months.

So basically what bruce has?

Honestly, if we're as good as we were last year we'll probably get promoted. Don't see anyone running away with it this year.

Like I said in the Grealish thread back when things looked bleak, if we keep Jack...we're as good as up imo.

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Why? They might tail off towards the end of the season as 46 games of Bielsa type football might be too much but I don't see an implosion.

Because he runs teams into the ground over the summer so they start the season like a train on fire, and then run out of puff when the leaves are on the ground. 

Â