The Championship thread

TrentVilla

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Forest sign pantillion and close to getting grabban. They are going to up there this year while we do absolutely sod all

Pantillimon and Grabban are nothing special at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Forest sign pantillion and close to getting grabban. They are going to up there this year while we do absolutely sod all

I'll be happy to stay up.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Have i missed another takeover at Forest. Where they hell they getting this money from!

Seemingly you have.  I only learned about it the other day too :D  But then I've adopted a 'head in the sand' approach to most things Championship this off-season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Are they not seeingvwhats happening to us?

If we had a pot to piss in, there'd be nothing happening to us.  Our problem isn't FFP.  It's Xia.  You can just pay the FFP fines if you want; and if you can.  FFP doesn't stop you spending.  It just tries to discourage it, and ensures the governing body gets their cut if you ignore it.

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

Our problem isn't FFP.  It's Xia.

It's most definitely both. Points deductions, relegations etc. can come as a consequence of breaching FFP. Obviously Xia is the bigger problem, but the FFP issues are still huge.

Just now, blandy said:

It's most definitely both. Points deductions, relegations etc. can come as a consequence of breaching FFP. Obviously Xia is the bigger problem, but the FFP issues are still huge.

Well that's brand new if that's the case, because when it came in it was quite explicitly only financial penalties.

I know that transfer embargoes can be handed out based on FFP (although given we don't plan on making any signings its debatable how much of a punishment this would be for us!) but was unaware of points deductions and would be amazed if a team was relegated as a result of breaching FFP.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well that's brand new if that's the case, because when it came in it was quite explicitly only financial penalties.

It changed. It used to be financial penalties and transfer embargo, now it can be anything as I understand it. Their wording  is 

The League shall create a Fair Play Panel to:

11.1.1   consider any challenge by a Championship Club, Promoted Championship Club or Relegated Club to a decision of The League in respect of the determination of its Fair Play Result and the consequences thereof, including (by way of example and without limitation):...

So that would include points deduction, which could lead to relegation the next season (e.g. if Villa were to start on -30)  or being moved out of the automatic places, or out of the play -offs etc. in the same season - this is because they now assess it all in March, so a breach could lead to the position in May being changed downwards, or the next season starting off on - n points and potential relegation. I'm not sure they can relegate anyoone in an ongoing/ended season, though I could be wrong.

edit - this is because a penalty of "you're relgated" has an impact as to whether an extra team goes up from Div 1, or one fewer than otherwise go down from the bottom 3 etc. - it'd mess everything up fixtures and legal wise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

It changed. It used to be financial penalties and transfer embargo, now it can be anything as I understand it. Their wording  is 

So that would include points deduction, which could lead to relegation the next season (e.g. if Villa were to start on -30)  or being moved out of the automatic places, or out of the play -offs etc. in the same season - this is because they now assess it all in March, so a breach could lead to the position in May being changed downwards, or the next season starting off on - n points and potential relegation. I'm not sure they can relegate anyoone in an ongoing season, though I could be wrong.

I also note that's an EFL document i.e. their own FFP rules.  I was on about UEFA's original implementation which may still be the same but which seems to be superceded by the above.  I.O.W. the EFL are a law unto themselves.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I also note that's an EFL document i.e. their own FFP rules.  I was on about UEFA's original implementation which may still be the same but which seems to be superceded by the above.  I.O.W. the EFL are a law unto themselves.

As you know, We play in the EFL. We have to meet their FFP rules.

UEFA FFP doesn't affect us at all. That would be a red herring completely.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

As you know, We play in the EFL. We have to meet their FFP rules.

UEFA FFP doesn't affect us at all. That would be a red herring completely.

Hehe, oh I haven't forgotten :D 

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Seemingly you have.  I only learned about it the other day too :D  But then I've adopted a 'head in the sand' approach to most things Championship this off-season.

Ahh that will be why then!!! Yeah me too, depressing that play off final was.. ahh well just a few financials to sort and a probable squad rebuild to sort before August 9th ?

We go again

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Grabban really didnt impress me when he was here

He tailed off at the crucial end but will still score 15-20 down here. He did that with us and Sunderland combined.

Pretty good signing for SHA if they pull it off, they lacked a reliable scorer last couple of years. Thought they were getting a transfer embargo?

Â