The Championship thread

TrentVilla

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly, if we're as good as we were last year we'll probably get promoted. Don't see anyone running away with it this year.

Like I said in the Grealish thread back when things looked bleak, if we keep Jack...we're as good as up imo.

The big miss is Terry.  We're significantly worse without him.  Not just losing him but who comes in to currently replace him, and we lose his influence on the training ground.  The rest I think will be as good.  A returning Kodjia should be able to make up any shortfall in the goals department.  Snodgrass the other big miss, but I expect big things from Green (albeit opposite wing) and as you hinted at, a full season from Jack means we might not have to play catch-up.

• Like 1

The league is also a lot better it seems from last season. A few teams have invested heavily in their club trying to bank on promotion. Seems like there will be 8-10 teams that feel they can be promoted. 

9 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

The league is also a lot better it seems from last season. A few teams have invested heavily in their club trying to bank on promotion. Seems like there will be 8-10 teams that feel they can be promoted. 

I kind of disagree.  Last season had 2 outstanding candidates.  Wolves through their super agent & Flum.  Granted, Flum took a while to get going but they were a steamtrain at the end.  Cardiff just did a superb job of holding on to the auto spot.  As @Keyblade says above, I don't see anyone like those 2 this season.  Sides will be stronger yes, like Forest, but not to the point where we can't compete with them.  Of the sides coming down, Stoke look strong but Swansea do not.  Baggies I'm not sure.  So perhaps there may be more strength across the top of the division, but it won't have the lopsided top 2 that it had last time out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I kind of disagree.  Last season had 2 outstanding candidates.  Wolves through their super agent & Flum.  Granted, Flum took a while to get going but they were a steamtrain at the end.  Cardiff just did a superb job of holding on to the auto spot.  As @Keyblade says above, I don't see anyone like those 2 this season.  Sides will be stronger yes, like Forest, but not to the point where we can't compete with them.  Of the sides coming down, Stoke look strong but Swansea do not.  Baggies I'm not sure.

I picture it being like the playoff race last season, but with everyone in contention for autos too. I foresee it being a really entertaining season this year.

Lots of good teams but no powerhouses like the last 2 seasons. Also means we won't be playing catch up all year, and there'll probably be less room for heartache. Honestly can't wait for Monday!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I kind of disagree.  Last season had 2 outstanding candidates.  Wolves through their super agent & Flum.  Granted, Flum took a while to get going but they were a steamtrain at the end.  Cardiff just did a superb job of holding on to the auto spot.  As @Keyblade says above, I don't see anyone like those 2 this season.  Sides will be stronger yes, like Forest, but not to the point where we can't compete with them.  Of the sides coming down, Stoke look strong but Swansea do not.  Baggies I'm not sure.  So perhaps there may be more strength across the top of the division, but it won't have the lopsided top 2 that it had last time out.

I think this season there is a lack of clear winners. Last preseason, it seemed like us and wolves would be dominant with a couple of other clubs potentially doing the same.

This season, it seems like we have a lot of good teams vying for promotion. 

• Like 1

Not concerned about the regulars deciding to "go again" and spend a bit of money, or bring in a name.

Leeds will start the season well. Impressive! It could be their year. Wheels fall off in November. Will finish 8th

Derby will go top at Christmas, and hold out until about April. Will win 1 game in 10 and finish 8th.

Bristol will linger around the play off spots all season. Will miss out on a spot by losing their last 3 games. Will finish 8th.

Forest will be forest, will meander along all year without ever really threatening. WIll finish 8th.

As it is written so shall it be.

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Why? They might tail off towards the end of the season as 46 games of Bielsa type football might be too much but I don't see an implosion.

He'll do well to last that long

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Why? They might tail off towards the end of the season as 46 games of Bielsa type football might be too much but I don't see an implosion.

Bielsa who loves to fall out with the owner and quit + an owner who loves to fall out with managers and sack them?

Could be a match made in heaven but i really really dont see toys staying in the pram for the whole season

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

He'll do well to last that long

We will just have to wait and see. His signings have been good so far, they were fairly awful last season but I reckon they have improved enough to challenge for the play offs.

I think Stoke are a stand out in terms of talent anyway. Expect a lineup of:

--------------------------------Butland

Bauer---------Shawcross----Martins Indi-----Pieters

--------------------------Allen--------N'diaye

MB Diouf--------------Ince------------------------Choupo-Moting

------------------------Afobe

But they then have strength in depth with Cameron, Tymon, McClean, Fletcher, Adam, Berahino, Crouch, Imbula, Affelay, Bojan and new signing Etebo who starts for Nigeria. Some of them will be moving on but they have a squad.

• Like 1

Wow didn't realize Stoke's squad was that strong. A lot of age there, but I am surprised to see quite a few of those players still there. 

I thought Butland, Shawcross, Diouf, and Moting would find new clubs. Then you have Cameron, Bojan, and Affelay on the bench. 

The problem with relegated teams and strong squads on paper is in reality they probably got relegated because the majority of them stopped giving a ****

Not sure if that was the case with stoke, id say it almost definitely was with the baggies (and Sunderland and us)

• Like 1

On 30/07/2018 at 22:22, Zatman said:

Ipswich for me are a team to go down. McCarthy kept them fighting above there level on a nothing budget and fans wanted him out

They have added nobody of note either

Yeah can see it being Ipswich, Bolton and Rotherham as bottom 3. Look the weakest three squads anyway.

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So basically what bruce has?

Forest haven't challenged for promotion for a very long time now (think the last time they made top 6 was 2011) so their fans will certainly take a bit of Bruceball from Karanka if it gets them play offs.

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Stoke didn't play that bad under Lambert, lost a lot of games narrowly and had too many draws. Rowett should have them solid at the back at least.

I believe Lambert said they were brilliant after every game

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Agreed, Wolves with their players were a mid table prem club playing in the championship last season. Fulham a bit lower than that but they were brilliant once they caught fire after xmas.

I think the top 2 this year will be Stoke and Boro. Would be amazed given the managers if either play in that style. Both are more likely to grind out 1-0s most weeks when you look at their defensive line up. Forest will be very dull aswell.

Best bet for entertainment is obviously Leeds. Apparently they've been having 4-3s against likes of York and Guiseley in pre season so you have all been warned. :lol:

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Stoke didn't play that bad under Lambert, lost a lot of games narrowly and had too many draws. Rowett should have them solid at the back at least.

Was expecting the likes of Butland and Joe Allen to have moved on by now. Both are comfortable prem mid table players. Butland dosen't seem to be seriously linked with anyone so can see him staying until January which is a big boost for them.

Stoke will be tough to  score against and will eek out goals so can see them getting a lot of 1-0 wins which will keep them ticking over.

Edit: If you look at that Stoke front 4 yes likes of Choupo and Diouf were poor in premier league but championship is very much about pace and power as Cardiff's front three showed last season so will be difficult to handle.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I believe Lambert said they were brilliant after every game

He couldn't ask any more of the lads. He thought they were excellent. Really excellent. Mumble, mumble, mumble, incoherent excellent and give a right good go.

• Like 1

Â