The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Watching a bit of Fulham vs Brentford, 0-0 at half time, Fulham hit the bar but Brentford look the liveliest, they’re just lacking that final bit of quality. Benrhama’s has some good touches but not really affected too much. 

Fulham had a chance to close gap on top two to three points but go and lose, which is typical of them this season when they need to win. Probably all but confirms Leeds and Albion's promotion.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Middlesbrough losing 3-0 at home to Swansea, not even half-time yet, they're only two points above the drop zone as well.

This is where I'm totally with black managers not getting chances at management jobs argument, woodgate got a good job at a club with recent premier league history and aspirations to get back there, is failing miserably and still in the job

Edited by Jimzk5

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

The boggies host Small Heath this afternoon,  In the championship. I wonder if the piped in crowd noise will just be ‘shit on the Villa’? 

I discovered earlier that the crowd noises are supplied by EA Sports. So, the noise is the same as in the games. 

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

The boggies host Small Heath this afternoon,  In the championship. I wonder if the piped in crowd noise will just be ‘shit on the Villa’? 

Apart from the odd Albion, Albion, Albion, all i can constantly hear is 'mull of Kintyre' which is a Nottingham Forest song. :crylaugh:

I still reckon WBA can be caught. They've only actually won 8 home games all season. Got Derby up next who are in good form and also Fulham and some very tricky away games.

Can see Leeds winning the league pretty comfortably so Bielsa needs to disinfect his trophy room.😉

4 hours ago, useless said:

Fulham had a chance to close gap on top two to three points but go and lose, which is typical of them this season when they need to win. Probably all but confirms Leeds and Albion's promotion.

If fulham had anyone that wasnt scott parker they would have won the league

On paperFulham have  probably got comfortably the best team in the division, then again Brentford have arguably got a better first eleven than Leeds and Albion as well. Just shows how important is to to have a good manager as well as a good team.

Leeds playing way better than Cardiff and applying constant pressure...until a sloppy pass out from the back that went straight to Junior Hoilett who scored from from outside the box.

I wont lose hope of the annual Leeds/Bielsa collapse until they are guaranteed promotion.

When it matters the teams below Leeds always lose their nerve, at various stages this season, Forest, Fulham, Brentford, Bristol City and Swansea earlier on have all had chances to close the gap but when it matters they can't seem to get a result. If Fulham had have only won yesterday they would have been just four points behnd Leeds with their next game being against Leeds, I suppose if Leeds were to lose today, they might still see it as an opportunity.

Of course they're favourites. Doesn't mean they can't bottle it. It's not that inconceivable they lose 3, but Fulham will probably need to beat them in the next match.

Although their performances have largely been very good, their results under Bielsa have been so inconsistent. Remember the difference in form his first season before and after Christmas? 

Bamford misses so many decent chances there is always a good chance of them limping to a few 1-0 defeats when relying on him for goals.

47 minutes ago, useless said:

Middlesbrough have appointed Warnock as their new manager.

Thats a very good decision.

Woodgate was a utter failure. Getting rid of pulis was a big mistake for them. But i swear warnock said he was done? He has a habit of saying that was his last job then he rocks up somewhere else.

Boro have really fallen over the last decade. Used to be an established prem club then appointed Southgate and he relegated Boro. Start of next season they started well but then they sacked Southgate in the October and appointed Strachan and he was a disaster. Then bobbed around mid table until they appointed Aitor Karanka. Was effective but they were so boring to watch and hardly seemed to score in premier league.

Since then they seem to have lacked identity which appointing likes of Warnock and Pulis indicate. Going from Woodgate and bringing through youth to Warnock keeping them up with loads of old players is like us going from wanting Roberto Martinez to then appointing McLeish.

Think what I'm trying to say from this is Steve Gibson just living on past glories now? Always held up as one of the best owners in football but seems to have made a hell of a lot of mistakes in last decade.

Their youth academy seems to have gone wrong. Can't think of anyone major they've produced since 2006 when Downing, Adam Johnson and James Morrison all came through at the same time. In last decade Sunderland have produced two England internationals in Pickford and Henderson but appears to me Boro are pretty poor at that now.

Was randomly watching 96/97 season review of them the other day and you forget the ambition they showed in that time, Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho all signed. Still went down but signed Paul Merson from Arsenal when he was a regular. Then a few years later they were signing Ugo, Southgate and Boateng from us. Eventually won a league cup in 2004 and reached europa league final in 2006. All downhill since.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was randomly watching 96/97 season review of them the other day and you forget the ambition they showed in that time, Ravanelli, Emerson and Juninho all signed. Still went down but signed Paul Merson from Arsenal when he was a regular. Then a few years later they were signing Ugo, Southgate and Boateng from us. Eventually won a league cup in 2004 and reached europa league final in 2006. All downhill since.

They've always massively underperformed. Seemed to be a retirement home for ex stars... Gazza, Mendieta, Ince, etc

Relegated with Juninho, Ravanelli and Emerson. 

They just couldn't get it right. Gibson threw at lot of money at it but didn't get a great deal back

Â