Id play with squad at moment 3-5-2

Gollini

Chester elphick baker

Rdl               jedi        tish             amavi

Ayew             grealish

Mcscoremack

• Like 3

On 8/8/2016 at 19:24, One For The Road said:

I cant tell you how sad that makes me feel. How close we were to the Champions League under MON and playing football like that. Now we are in the Championship and losing to Sheffield Wednesday. ;(

I remember being at Villa park that day. Bolton were awful. I don't think we played football like that against any other team ever again under MON. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nnock1984 said:

Gollini 

Bacuna  Elphick Chester Cissokho

Jedinak

Adomah McCormack Grealish Ayew

Kodjia

4-1-4-1

if it works for man city!!! 

Jedinak will be dead on his feet after 60 minutes and we would lose every game.

Edited by mykeyb

2 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Gollini 

Bacuna  Elphick Chester Cissokho

Jedinak

Adomah McCormack Grealish Ayew

Kodjia

4-1-4-1

if it works for man city!!! 

Put  tish alongside jedinak and ditch ayew  or adomah - 4231 - the key for me Is tish replacIng Westwood 

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Haven't seen any of yesterday. How did the 352 look? Did they get the shape right? Did it completely not work?

Last 5 minutes we could have conceded 4 times but before that we were fairly solid but created hardly anything going forward - I think the fact McCormack and gestede and tish were not available maybe played a big part in rdm choosing that side .

was a dreadful game to be honest .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

Random tactical note but it bugs me and the people who sit round me, especially in light of the constant pressure we face in the last ten minutes of games; why are we the only team that doesn't have a man standing further up the pitch when defending a corner etc?

Under at least three seperate managers when ever we are defending a corner, every single player is in or around the box which means every time it's cleared, it comes straight back in. There is no outlet, no person to hold it up, or even potentially begin a counter attack. Also means the opposition can afford to commit even more men forward.

Every other team does it, Premier League or Championship. Means we have to have more players defending than attacking our corners and it is often a case that any clearances from our historically poor delivery finds an opposition player on the half way line ready to attack us.

Good point and even more so the man left up should be pacey as they'd have to leave a couple on him . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Random tactical note but it bugs me and the people who sit round me, especially in light of the constant pressure we face in the last ten minutes of games; why are we the only team that doesn't have a man standing further up the pitch when defending a corner etc?

Under at least three seperate managers when ever we are defending a corner, every single player is in or around the box which means every time it's cleared, it comes straight back in. There is no outlet, no person to hold it up, or even potentially begin a counter attack. Also means the opposition can afford to commit even more men forward.

Every other team does it, Premier League or Championship. Means we have to have more players defending than attacking our corners and it is often a case that any clearances from our historically poor delivery finds an opposition player on the half way line ready to attack us.

This is basic stuff?.....it embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think the 4-3-1-2 formation is the best one for our players at the moment. 

I would argue it's best to play Grealish in the 3 man midfield, 

Tshibola - Jedinak - Grealish

Ayew

Gestede - Kodjia

This would be my preferred line up as things stand, although I imagine Westwood would play due to the constant injuries to Tshibola.

Gestede would probably be replaced by McCormack too. I'd rather have Gestede on current showing. 

Could also play:

Tshibola - Jedinak

Kodjia - Grealish - Ayew

Gestede

I think that team is balanced and strong. Could swap Kodjia to up front and have Adomah on the right wing instead. 

So effectively what I'm saying is that the problem is McCormack, although that's not what I thought when I started writing the post. 

Just put this in the Grealish thread but it may be more appropriate here. 

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

said in a previous thread when we were good we always had 2 players on halfway line for a counter attack with Gabby and Young and it scared teama

On 9/18/2016 at 19:20, Zatman said:

said in a previous thread when we were good we always had 2 players on halfway line for a counter attack with Gabby and Young and it scared teama

I think the highlighted bit is critical.  It's a bit risky.  When you're good you can take a few more risks.

Why aren't we playing 4-3-3?

Maybe I have a fondness for it from its success during the MON era but I look at our squad and think it would suit us down to the ground.

As mentioned elsewhere Jedinak needs two alongside him to do the running as happened at Palace. Yes the downside is Westwood keeps on starting but he did play well for a bit alongside D*lph and Cleverley.

Upfront though is where it makes sense....Kodjia CENTRAL, Adomah to the right where he played well enough for Boro and Ayew to the left.

With Grealish and McCormack out of the picture I'd play it at Barnsley.

• Like 1

for me in this division, this is our best team going forward has to be attacking and prefer Adomah as attacking full back than playing either Hutton, Richards or bacuna

Gollini

Adomah Elphick Baker Amavi

Jedinak

Tshibola

Ayew     McCormack    Greakish

Kodjia

-----------------Gollini------------

Bacuna---Elphick--Chester--Amavi

-------------Jedinak--------------

------Westwood---Tshibola------

Kodjia-----Gestede---------Ayew

*McCormack replaces Gestede when he gets back from injury

Edited by Villaphan04
  • Like 2

I think it's important that we play 3 in midfield, as opposed to 2. Jedinak can, and will, play better than he did last night and hopefully Tish can stay clear of injury now, but bringing him on last night not only showed how good he is but also highlighted how overrun our midfield was with just the two in there. 

With McCormack hopefully back soon, It would be Grealish, Gestede and Adomah on the bench when all fit for me as @Villaphan04 said. Such is the level of attrition in this league however, I'm sure they all be taking turns for a starting berth anyway. 

• Like 1

Â